No announcement yet.

Napolitian style 106cm build inside a hobbit house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wheels exactly. I used an old garage door track and garage door track rollers. The drawer works very similar to a kitchen cabinet drawer. However, my drawer does not use all the available space under the oven. I sacrificed that space for ease of access.

Check out Jim's jcg31 under oven cart design below. It maximizes every bit of the space under there.

Wood on Wheels.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Gulf, garage door tracks and rollers, that's a clever idea. I've got quite a lot of space to the sides and it would be a shame not o use it, I'm planning to utilise space within the hobbit house best as possible as it is only 6m² (66 square feet) I might have a go with something like Jims' two trolley's either side. Inside the hobbit house I was thinking of building a circular modular sofa around the walls, with a round table in the middle. When all the segments are pulled together it becomes a double bed a bit like these designs circular sofa. The table would have to be collapsable some how to become the same height of the seating

Comment

Managed to get the domed roof completed a few months back. Its winter here, so work has stopped until spring

Comment

Comment

Wow. I've been hoping to see an update on this build. Just incredible.

Comment

You've done an amazing job on this Crisp! Really looking forward to 2017 and how you incorporate the trolley system to fully utilize the side spaces and the final design of the modular sofa.

Hope you had a fabulous holiday season and a great 2016!
              Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
              Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
              Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
              Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Very impressive Im pulling up the chair and waiting for the next instalment.
                I love it when people with skills do great things

Comment

Holy Smokes........that is one incredible build. No words other than WOW.......cannot wait to see it continue. Incredible talent on display
                  https://picasaweb.google.com/1029081...00165373509921

Comment

That is truly spectacular...I'm stunned!

Comment

With the hole in the roof dome it reminds me of the Pantheon in Rome, the worlds largest unreinforced dome. Great work, have any hobbits moved in yet?
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

It's springtime here in Norway so its been warming up. Unfortunately some recent bereavements in the family have put quite a few things on hold, but I'm hoping to push on with it all when I get my head straight. Thank you all for the nice comments

Comment

Originally posted by crisp View Post
                          I've finally decided that the outer door will be made of ceramic fireproof glass. When fully closed you can see the whole fire without the radiating heat. If the door is totally closed, two air vents, which take air from the outside of the building feed the fire from either side at the bottom of the vent area (see recess holes in picture). The glass will sit within a U shaped frame and will be removable. There will be a counter weight the same weight as the door which hangs inside the Inside the envelope/box. It will be a bit like how a sash window works, and enables the window to stay in any elevated position due to its counter weigh https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sash_windowt. All this will be will be removable for servicing
                          What is the purpose of creating a 1/2" air gap separation between the dome and the doorway/chimney chamber structure?
                          Is it a thermal expansion gap?
                          Is it advisable? or a must to have?

Comment

That gap is a thermal break, to keep the energy (i.e. heated dome) from dissipating the heat to the chimney/flue/entry area, where it does not good for cooking. This reduces the volume/mass of material that is heated up resulting in quicker charge times and keeps the heat from bleeding away quickly.

Comment

The gap is not essential. It's primary function is really as a thermal expansion gap which reduces the tendency for the inner expanding oven to place stress on the cooler outer shell of the igloo and outer decorative arch causing unsightly cracks. For this reason the gap needs to be filled with a flexible low conductive material. If you are building an enclosure then this is less of a problem because you don't have an outer shell. However, it will reduce some heat flow by conduction, but because it's so small won't do much to stop heat flow by radiation. You wouldn't expect 1/2" of insulation over the dome or under the floor to prevent significant heat loss. In my build because my flue gallery is so light (10 kg casting) and therefore not a significant heat sink, my expansion gap/thermal break is between the flue gallery and the outer decorative arch.
                              Last edited by david s; 06-01-2017, 07:49 PM.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

What type of flexible low conductive material recommended to be used? Would it be sufficient to use glass in the 1/2 gap?

Comment

Working...
                                X