Hi all from Aussie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hi all from Aussie

Because of the nature of perlite and vermiculite they suck water into their tiny pores,mbut if you mix it correctly there will not be much excess. Therefore there is little moisture absorbed by the blanket. If you put plastic between the dome and the vermicrete layer it will melt and burn creating very toxic fumes that are bad for the atmosphere. Some people (me included) have tried using al foil as a moisture barrier, either beneath or over the vermiculite layer, both as a reflective layer to retain more heat and as a slip layer. It does not melt and degrade but does a very good job of trapping moisture from escaping. Better to vermicrete straight onto the blanket IMO.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Pete View Post
      thanks guys, much appreciated.
      the reason i am not doing a pompeii style is because i was given the refractory mortar & blanket,
      how does this govern the choice of design?????

Comment

before i go into it...define "pompeii style" exactly?...
        Aussie Pete

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"

Comment

In short a hemisphere with the flue at the front and the door between the oven and the flue entry.

Comment

ok....so my oven is a pompeii style oven, except the door is outside the flue.

i just need some baffle pics & ideas, will look at yours david
            thanks.
            Aussie Pete

Comment

If you haven't already, I think you should download the free Pompeii plans from this site.

Comment

ok....so my oven is a pompeii style oven, except the door is outside the flue.
                Why not plan on two doors, one that is traditional and one that can be set outside of the flue. It will give you a little more versatility.
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Ive seen a 2.5m diam. wood fired commercial oven that had both front and rear doors, worked really well. It was for making Pitta bread so the time in the oven was very short, thus the need to have greater access to remove the product before it burnt.

Comment

define "pompeii style"
                    Cowering in a corner while getting covered in ash.
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

evening all...
                      David, i have downloaded the pompeii plans, and i am incorporating ideas from this and other ideas i have seen....probably not the norm, but to my experience level i am comfortable doing it this way.
                      And honestly, really...its all about the finish product (as long as it works & its what i have invisioned), to me its about being out there doing the man'ly thing, pottering about in the backyard building my very own pizza oven, laying cement, cutting stuff, measuring this,lining up that.
                      Its my idea of doing something i really want to do and have, i dont have a very big shed, so in the backyard mucking around on a PIZZA OVEN is well....pretty good pass time to me.

Crap.... was i ranting..sorry.

I just sit back sometimes...and think.. (i'm making a pizza oven), now how many people can say that?

Ok...i have to finish this project now and stop thinking about it, i have soooo many ideas on what to do, partly things i have read, some things i have seen, so i'm kinda putting this oven together with a picture in my head and wingy it from there. i know what your thinking.(this guy is a nutter)...No, i am studying different ways & ideas, i've done some research, i think i get confused sometimes, because you read or hear about other methods that could work in your oven, but you've already commited to your original idea, then i try to compromise and go from there....Crap....does that make sense??...geezz, and i'm not even legless.
                      Sorry to a lot of Americans on here, you may not quite understand what i'm on about, but hopefully the Aussies here can relate or atleast understand my mentality...or should i say thinking

In short...i'm looking forward to getting out there tomorrow and get this oven done & dusted...wish me luck.
                      Aussie Pete

Comment

is it inperitive to wet the bricks before joining?. I'm about to do the arch, just wanting to get everything right so they dont fall down on me.
                        Should they be soaked or just wet?
                        Does it really matter.
                        they are refractory bricks on the arch
                        thanks
                        Aussie Pete

Comment

is it inperitive to wet the bricks before joining?. I'm about to do the arch, just wanting to get everything right so they dont fall down on me.
                          Should they be soaked or just wet?
                          Does it really matter.
                          they are refractory bricks on the arch
                          thanks
                          Ive built hundreds of arches and never had to wet 1 brick.
                          Its an oven builders myth that you have to wet the bricks before you lay them.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

thanks Al, i was hoping you were on to answer that one.
                            Aussie Pete

Comment

ok....so my oven is a pompeii style oven, except the door is outside the flue..
                              Your building a round oven...right?....why bother complicating things with a internal flue and damper at all. A pompeii will smoke a little while firing up then an amazing thing happens as the heat builds up the oven clears of visible smoke. All the heat is contained in the oven and doesn't go up the flue with the smoke. I have a mate with a tunnel oven with an internal flue to run efficently it spends most of its time with a tile over the flue.

Regards Dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                                I have a mate with a tunnel oven with an internal flue to run efficently it spends most of its time with a tile over the flue.
                                No offence Dave, but your mate built it wrong then.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X