Hi all from Aussie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hi all from Aussie

thanks guys, i have a cement mixer, is that the preferred way to mix, or do you guys mix by hand.
    will hopefully be constructing the dome over the weekend, (how thick should i layer it?, i was thinking about 2-3"), then i will let that dry out over a few weeks and possibly light a few small fires in it.
    Am getting a bit of rain around here lately, i have a portable gazebo over the construction area for now, but how do you guys keep the rain out of your ovens, surely the rain would get in the door somehow. Even on heavy rain days, the rain would surely get in the flue & down onto the floor bricks wouldn't it?
    Aussie Pete

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"

Comment

oh yeh, heres a pic of progress so far...any thoughts welcomed.
      Aussie Pete

Comment

evening all.....(well, morning).
        With vermic. & perlite mix i was going to use on top of the blanket, what grade should it be, or doesn't it matter. Theres just different grades (coarse/medium), thought it was worth asking. I was going to do 50:50 verm & perl. mix on top.
        How thick should this be layed...or should i do a few smaller thickness (to help with curing). Never done or seen before, so am in unchartered teritiory here.
        When mixing, (will be done in cement mixer)i will add water last...what texture should it be like, should it stick together, how long should it mix for?
        How long should this be left to dry/cure, before doing anymore.
        thanks all
        Aussie Pete

Comment

Like I said in a previous post I prefer to use the medium grade. I prefer to also do it in a couple of layers of about 35mm thick at a time, allowing a week or so(depending on weather) to dry.The grains tend to break up a bit if mixed for too long and the stuff tends to stick to the inside of the mixer so I find it better to mix in a barrow. Follow my recipe, including water quantity and you should get the right consistency. If you have any water at the bottom of the mix then you've added too much.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

thanks David, i've found some verm. & perl at a hydroponics place, its about $35 for 100ltr for both perl & verm. Just about to start laying the bottom layer ready for the dome to be done
            thanks for advice.
            Aussie Pete

Comment

could anyone please point me in the right direction for stainless steel needles for my refractory dome,where to get and costing.
              i've read somewhere to use 2.5%-5%...not sure how to work that out.
              My oven is 39" wide, with a 19x11.5' door.

Should i really worry about them.???
              Aussie Pete

Comment

Talk with Darren from Total refractory, he has them and all the good info required. Prices are available, not sure about how cheap they are. They were the only people I spoke to about them.
                ROb

Comment

thanks rob will try Darren next week.
                  Aussie Pete

Comment

I'm about to do my front arch, is there anything special you need to add to the mix to help it stay up, i've seen some builds and they've got a heap of weight ontop of their arch, my refractory arch bricks are very smooth on each side, should i scuff or score the bricks a bit to help the mortar bite to them?.
                    Aussie Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Pete View Post
                      should i scuff or score the bricks a bit to help the mortar bite to them?.
                      Wont make any difference, if the mud lets go it still lets go..
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

so theres nothing special i need to do when doing the arch....or is it a case of just prey like mad it stays up.
                        Aussie Pete

Comment

Read this.
                          Auroville Earth Institute
                          Its all about counteracting the downward thrust/weight of the arch.
                          (you have to have more mass on the sides to stop the arch from flattening out like it wants to.)

Flat arches have held up for centuries.
                          Last edited by brickie in oz; 02-11-2012, 10:51 PM.
                          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

thanks Al..
                            Aussie Pete

Comment

i think most of that explanation went over my head, but i kinda got the idea, still not sure on actual load bearing capabilities of my arch design.....thats ok....i'll wing it
                              theres not a lot of load going to be on top anyway...so the Aussie way.."she'll be right mate"

cheers Al
                              Aussie Pete

Comment

because i haven't completed my dome ( or even started it yet), i'm wondering about the dome height in relation to the door height & width. i'm aware of the 61-65% ratio of dome -door, could someone please explain as an example method or direct me to the threads that explain this theory. i know there here somewhere, but can only find bits & pieces from different threads on the idea.
                                For anyone interested, my door is 19"x 11.5" and the dome width is 39". I need to find out how high i should make the dome height and what height i should start the flue entry.
                                I'm a little confused because i have seen flue entries the same height as the door, and on some other ovens, the flue is higher.
                                I need to get this ratio mix right....help much appreciated.
                                Also...i know different vault heights are directly related to what type of cooking you want to do.
                                So....i want to make pizza's (the obvious one), i want to retain nice heat so i can slow cook some various dishes, and i definately want to make breads..
                                thanks for any help.
                                Aussie Pete

Comment

Working...
                                X