X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven Build 900mm - NZ

Bart
    Thanks mate,
    have the full bug and need to progress, already have the insulation floor down, my dad has built two in Aust with clay from the back yard there, not sure if there is much clay around Rotorua. must be some somewhere.
    Look forward to seeing the link.
    Cheers
    Kris

Comment

Still using bricks, i expect to buy some more in due course. Cuuently upto the top of the inner arch.

Comment

@John French.
        Canterbury bricks also have a new higher density brick which is a fair bit nicer than the older softer sytle. have you got a photo thread of your build on here?
        I would pretty keen to see photos of your build (sure others would too)
        sounds like your doing pretty well. you can chalk up another 4.4 from last nights aftershock too

@Kris,
        http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Nonfi...-334894590.htm
        The book is "build your own earth oven" by kiko denzer. it's pretty hippy but basically talks about all the details. i bought my copy from trademe and might even be in your local library. if you cross all the info you learn on this forum with that of the book and your old mans knowledge you should be pretty sweet and cheap out i think. as for fire clay most local areas should have some. check with any farmer mates you may have.

@all
        interesting is that the thermal mass is a mix of sand and clay sandy. i wonder if the recipie on here for refactoring cement could infact be used as a poor mans castable?
        it would be very easy then to make a cheap geo dome contruction dome or just slap it over a dome form... hell i might even try it later on for testing.

Regards
        Bart
        Last edited by wemme; 11-27-2010, 09:32 PM.
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/o...-nz-14012.html

Comment

Tried to upload a recent image but it was too large a file. I will try to resolve later. Attached two more bricks to the inner arch. I had to compromise as I have tried ( unsuccessfully ) to avoid the teardrop effect transitioning to the arch. I have used an I tool as a guide but i have managed to get out of round in parts of the dome. I think it will work out okay but compared to many my nuild is a bit ugly!!

Comment

Hi John I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you stick your head in the door the dome will be covered in insulation and you won't see it. still look forward seeing your build.

Comment

Originally posted by wemme View Post
              @John French.
              Canterbury bricks also have a new higher density brick which is a fair bit nicer than the older softer sytle. have you got a photo thread of your build on here?
              I would pretty keen to see photos of your build (sure others would too)
              sounds like your doing pretty well. you can chalk up another 4.4 from last nights aftershock too

@Kris,
              BUILD YOUR OWN EARTH OVEN for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
              The book is "build your own earth oven" by kiko denzer. it's pretty hippy but basically talks about all the details. i bought my copy from trademe and might even be in your local library. if you cross all the info you learn on this forum with that of the book and your old mans knowledge you should be pretty sweet and cheap out i think. as for fire clay most local areas should have some. check with any farmer mates you may have.

@all
              interesting is that the thermal mass is a mix of sand and clay sandy. i wonder if the recipie on here for refactoring cement could infact be used as a poor mans castable?
              it would be very easy then to make a cheap geo dome contruction dome or just slap it over a dome form... hell i might even try it later on for testing.

Regards
              Bart
              I have started an album with a few photos of progress - search on "Chch NZ build"
              Hopefully an image is attached to this reply

Comment

Hey John,
                That is look pretty good.
                Will have a look for your thread soon.
                Regards
                Bart

Comment

Hey John,
                  Did you cut the bricks in half or did you taper them ?
                  Regards
                  Bart

Comment

Most of the bricks i cut in half. I have tried to taper some into trapezoid shape to help fit the upper chains. I find it difficult but do-able with the tile saw. I did taper the central brick in the arch and expect to do a few more as i reach the need for 1/3 and 1/4 bricks as i approach closing the dome. If i had a bigger saw disc i might be more inclined to minimise the grout gaps even more but reading others their seems to be nor real advantage in terms of performance only pride in craftmanship!

Comment

Hi John,
                      Good to know. how many bricks do you recon you will use for your oven?
                      I've cut halfs with tapers for the arch.
                      i think i will be having to cut them to fit around the arch.
                      Regards
                      Bart

Comment

I originally estimated about 180 bricks for the 1 metre design. I may be a few short in the end depending on how the vent and front arch go. I used about 155 on the floor, dome and inner arch.

Comment

Status Update

Currently project is on hold until I hear on the proformance of John French's oven.. we are using the same bricks but I have some reservations on the preformance of the bricks we have.

Also I am also curious on the response to my post about using poor mans cement as a castible mix.
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/p...ble-15194.html

Current design change is to move from Flu tile to a Stainless steel flu. to Reduce wieght above the arch way.

Regards
                          Bart
                          Last edited by wemme; 01-14-2011, 10:00 PM.

Comment

well now all the earthquakes appear to be settling down and with spring around the corner I have decided to carry on with my build.
                            I plan to build a geodome oven and use proper refactoring castible for the first ~30mm then use a pour mans mix to get to about 100mm thick brick. This hopefully will stop any spalling and be cheaper to build while still having strength and heat capacity. also I'm going to ditch the flu and go for a simple arch way. basically i will end up with a pentigon and hexagon tile.

Regards
                            Bart
                            Attached Files

Comment

interesting idea. Keen to see how you get on. Our build will most likely wait another year unitl EQs have really settled & house repairs are hopefully done

Comment

As the original geodesic pompeii builder, I should point out that the point over the doorway is the weak point. I've had to re-mortar bricks there. If you're going with castable refractory, I'd use full thickness for those two elements, for strength, and as they will be exposed to hot flue gasses on both sides.

I would also reconsider the no-flue decision. Think about your eyebrows!
                                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                                X