Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aussie Readers

Mr G,
    You silly, Victorian Boy-you. Aussi WFO mafia indeed!
    Mate, once you complete your trial WFO (and minor tasks as set by SWMBO), I reckon you'd possibly pass the Border Check into Qld.
    Once at The Border, you will be swabbed to establish if you will act as a genuine disinterested person, or join the Fun Police and help shut the whole place down.

Onya mr g:
    These ovens range from hell heat to mildest protein restructure temperatures, and then some. Mate, if you're smart enough to consider a
    WFO, then your Visa application to enter Qld would certainly gain credence.
    Best wishes in your endeavours.
    Jeff.

Comment

Hey guys,
      Found this site a few months ago and just joined. Located in Canberra and would love to have an oven occupy a small section of the backyard. Just need to work out where and then find the time.

Comment

Hmm. Canberra eh.Couldn't you have lied..... just a little?

Welcome to the Best Site Ever. Mate, James is a pure gem, and the rest of the rabble are a top mob. It's been such a varied course of instruction. (I'd never laid a clay brick in me life before this).

And the pizzas are pure bliss.
        Get into it Mahootna. I'll see if I can drag up an image or two, to spur you on, eh.
        Luddite Jeff.

Comment

Hey Guy's just found this site - it is awesome. Get the e-books on cooking, very high quality.

Just cooked first meal and 2 loaves of bread in my almost finished oven. Sensational!

I woos'ed out and bought a kit that included all materials (fire brick tile floor, terracotta fire bricks, perlite etc etc.) Whole oven from bare earth to first firing in four Sundays. Total price including 2 concrete deliveries about $2,500

At this stage I have the arch done and rendered with refractory cement. Tomorrow i add the insulating blanket and 10cm of perlite/cement.

It had to be fired three times to dry out so I chucked in some snags and veggies in a tray (great) and finished off with some bread.

Let me know if you want to see any piccy's

cheers

Comment

Yes, we do!

Pics of the oven, the materials, the location, the build, the scars you got while building it, the bread, the veggies, your dogs and cats, and anything else you feel like posting.

I am not the only Picaholic on this site....
            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Frances.
              I see that your transition to Associate Luddite has been seamless. I'm so proud of you.
              Respectfully,
              Luddite Jeff.

Comment

Cia.Oh.
                I'm with Frances, eh.
                Ahem; apart from photographic evidence re scars, I tell ya. (Sounds like Guantanamo Bay to me). She's a fine'n fiesty Sheila, Cia.o, but tread carefully.

Mate, I'm a bit of a goose, but if you get stuck feel free to chuck me a curly, eh. I reckon you mexicans would have enough blokes to kick off your own group, eh.
                Good building talisker63.
                Evonne.

Comment

OK - check out my piccy's. Made pizza on Saturday night, only burnt one pizza and two fingers.

Just draped the blanket over the top to see how it would work, made a big difference to the heat retention (duh!).

Check out my post about insulation layers, plastic sheets vs aluminum foil... need advise here before Sunday

cheers
                  Last edited by james; 02-18-2008, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Yeh,
                    I'll chip in as a fellow Aussie WFO builder and proud of them.
                    Just sitting on the side look'n around occassionally and sharing what I know about them and my experiences.

Neill
                    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                    Neill’s kitchen underway
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

HI
                      I Am another Aussie builder (well hope to start soon). As an ex chef this has been a goal for a long time now. Still love fine food just don't like the hospitally industry anymore.
                      I finally have a big enough yard to make it happen, just need to read and read some more on this site. I live in the Greenbank area and would love to chat with anyone that can toss in their 2 cents worth. There seen to be a lot more to this then I first thought. Time is always tight and money even tighter so this won't happen to quickly, but it will happen!
                      Look forward to learning as I go
                      Rob

Comment

Welcome Rob!

I am also another newbie (Newcastle, NSW) and broke ground on my WFO project a couple of weekends ago. I plan to pour the foundation slab this weekend so long as the fine spring weather holds.

I do not plan to rush my oven construction so if you get moving quickly you may even beat me to the firts pizza>

Paul
                        Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
                        (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

Hi from the deep south

I've been lurking for sometime now. Picking up info etc and plan to start the WFO before Xmas. Still getting snow on the mountain down here in Hobart so not much happening outdoors at times.

Will post pics as it;s happening but don't hold your breath.

Cheers

Steve

Comment

Hi I'm from Sydney NSW and came across this Web site about a year ago. Since then I have been trawling through endless posts and have finally taken the plung and begun work on my 42inch WFO!!

Cannot wait till I'm done

cheers John
                            John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

John,

How far have you got with your build? Have you decieded on what type of bricks, mortar, insulation etc to use yet?

I haven't started investigating prices or made the final decision on these things for my oven yet as I have only just started the foundation slab. If you have found any good suppliers I would be interested to know.

Paul
                              Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
                              (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

Hi guys, great to see you all rolling your sleeves up and getting stuck into it. I have been around this forum for a couple of years now and have only just got my act together and got started. I was initially going to use fire bricks but I've settled on using
                                castable refractory (which is basically heat proof concrete). This product is used for kilns
                                and is the product used by many dome manufacturers. Since I have been talking about this for three years to any body that'll listen I have now got nine other people interested in making this kind of oven. The overall cost to me for the castable dome, firebrick floor, vermiculite, insulation blanket, door and flue will be around A$1100.
                                We have got a bit of a discount on all the materials because of the large amount we've ordered. The reason I've gone for the castable is simply that it's easy and quick to cast provided you have a form to work with. I've designed mine to be foure pieces for the actual dome and a separate piece for the entrance. We've made two entrances so far and two pieces of the dome as a trial. It all went well and we expect to be able to pour a full dome and entrance in 2-3 hours. There is also another thread you can find by searching for "castable refractory" which was started by Steve Preece. There you'll see Wild Willy's oven made out of castable as well.
                                I put a little more time into the sand mould because it has to be used ten times.
                                If there's any else you'd like to know just put the question out there and one of the many smart people on this forum will be able to answer it. Who knows I might enev be able to offer something.
                                Cheers
                                Mr G

Comment

Working...
                                X