No announcement yet.

My 36" corner build with Argentine Grill and spit roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photos out of step first needed a tickle with grinder so did 2 nod surprising how little I had to grind off to make it fit less than 5 mm.will see tomorrow how bad it looks from inside

Comment

Tight fit like a "ass to a pot"
      Will tap it down till its flush tomorrow I want to leave cement to set before I remove wood support .Got saw till Monday so will try and cut and dry stack oven throat ,flu support,cut bricks for argentine grill and any left over bricks I'm gonna cut an replace fire board in I'm my outdoor fireplace so that my plans for my 50th bday sorted.

Comment

Word of caution - my plug was kind of a sliding fit with hardly any gap at the bottom when I test fitted it. When it was buttered up with mortar it took a little tap with a 2X4, and I ended up knocking a few chips out of the adjacent bricks on the interior. I filled chipped out areas with mortar and they have held up well, but when I saw you mention tapping I thought I'd share my experience. My plug was tighter in the bottom than it was on the top, and in retrospect I would have made a little more clearance and hopefully avoided the chipping.
        My build thread
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Thanks for the advice JR I'm gonna take a look from inside tomorrow and shave enough off so that I can see a 5 -7 mm of daylight all round I've got a few chips inside and a couple of slight ledges that I might grind off the whole inside will need a clean up and a tune up.Any thoughts on me using the extra cement on covering the outside dome with a later I've got a few hairline cracks that I'm going to dremmel out and refill just to be on the safe side.Also what are your thoughts re me using a 7 or 8 " flu pipe ?

Comment

I don't know if you can over vent an oven or not - you need to get a chimney expert to weigh in on that. We used an 8" pipe on our 39 inch oven and it draws very well. For you concerns however, height of the chimney may be more important than diameter. Taller chimneys draw better when warm and get the smoke higher and away from the oven.
            My build thread
            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Thank you very much for your input I think il go for 7" and 10 ft length I can make a brace or maybe a small corner roof above dome where house corner meets as I have approx 2 ft overhang I intend to clad the overhang in stainless I've already made the tongue n groove pattern with cut outs for led lighting il post a pic once I've had a clear up really licked your chimney brickwork may attempt something similar.

Comment

What's the most up to date info on depth of entrance i.e. Measurement from inner arch outside face to outer arch (not including decorative outer arch)I've still got some old stocks left for Dec arch but really short on fire bricks would 1 and a1/3 fire bricks be ok then half brick of old stocks on the end bonded in?

Comment

Started cleaning inside oven I've got some 16% hydrochloride acid mortar cleaner do you think it would be ok to use to remove cement stains I used ready mix kiln cement not home brew mix

Comment

You don't won't to use hydrochloric (muriatic) acid in any area that can not be well ventilated. I would not want to be in my oven using it. Aside from that, muriatic acid is prepared for cleaning portland based masonry residue. I think that your "kiln cement" may be calcium aluminate. I have know idea if it will have an effect on that.
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Fair point I was going to leave plug out and apply acid with a damp rag and rinse with plenty of water.will contact company and get data sheet tried white vinegar with not much success.I've also got to grind a few ledges off I'm only able to get one arm in so going to be a bit of a mission.I just want to make sure no loose cement or ledges to collect ash .I don't want anything to detract or enhance the flavour of my grub.Any thoughts on min / max length for my entrance ? I'm thinking of using a 7" flu round stainless single wall prob comes in 3 or 4 meter lengths ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bauldy 2 View Post
                        What's the most up to date info on depth of entrance i.e. Measurement from inner arch outside face to outer arch (not including decorative outer arch)I've still got some old stocks left for Dec arch but really short on fire bricks would 1 and a1/3 fire bricks be ok then half brick of old stocks on the end bonded in?
                        I believe that the anchor plate for an 8" insulated pipe is 12". I'm guessing that a 7" would be 1" smaller. If you are using standard length (9") fire brick, you should have plenty of room. However, It might be best to get your anchor plate and piping on hand just to be sure. An earlier question of yours was about sizing the pipe to the size of the oven. Some have said that you can't over flue an oven. I know for sure that you can. Over sizing flues and chimneys can cause cause smoke and heat to rise slower, which effects draw and leads to excess soot/creoste buildup. However, If you take into consideration the working reach that most are willing to have, then the statement should read, "You can't practically over flue an oven". I think that JR is spot on about the height of the flue being an important consideration. For any increase in ID, there should be an increase in height imo. For a 36" ID oven, I think that you will be fine with a 6" or 7" ID pipe at 10' of height.
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks gulf your chimney with damper is very cool the brickwork is amazing it took a lot of thought and precise working out .your drawer gave me the idea for mine I had to find a way of storing my workbench top leaving its base to be used as a outdoor dining table/ coffee table.My other half said she would like a extendable table and for me to get rid of my wk bench and store my chopsaw.Im limited for space so when I saw your drawer storage I thought maybe II can combine all 3 .ill post pics once I've had a clear up .

Comment

Three meters (9' 10") in height should be a gracious plenty for your draw. I just noticed that you were attaching it to the overhang of your house. Just make sure that you clear the roof enough in height to satisfy local building codes (more importantly for your insurance). In my area that would be 2' above any part of the roof within 10' lateral to the flue. Also, make sure that you have a spark arrestor.
                            Last edited by Gulf; 11-26-2016, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks Bauldy 2,

However, I would not recommend the damper for a WFO build. Since drying my oven, I keep it locked open. The one time that I didn't, caused one heck of a smoke stain .

Comment

Got another question should I notch around inner arch or leave outer arch butted up and just add small cut wedges to bridge to dome? Gonna leave 1/4 inch gap for expansion was going to use also use fibre rope on top of inner arch lip,was going to use old stocks like lower arch not so sure now as cuts on firebrick came out so well, but if I don't I run the risk of staining as my entrance will only be 9" or 9" minus notch if I go with additional Dec arch in old stocks as per my original plans il will make vent slightly overhangs giving me enough to conceal some led lights.

Comment

Working...
                                X