My 36" corner build with Argentine Grill and spit roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I notched my arch bricks to fit over the inner arch for two reasons. First I thought it was better to have my rope gasket sitting in the horizontal gap, vs having gravity wanting to pull it down and having to find some way to keep it in the gap (cutting groove etc). I also wanted to have maximum support for my chimney without having it sit on the inner arch, so picked up about an extra inch on the vent arch, which I believe also made the arch stronger.
      Have you sketched out what your vent opening is going to look like? It looks like it's going to be a tight squeeze.
      Last edited by JRPizza; 11-27-2016, 12:31 PM.
      My build thread
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Also, take a look at how JR completed the outer arch, both front and back. I am a firm believer in that for strength when doing a heat break.You can save a little room on your landing by splitting your decorative arch brick.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks for replies yep gonna notch and have shortened my form and built an additional form for Dec arch .What size area wise wood you suggest? I was going to try for double the area funnelling up to 7" flu pipe might try 3/4 length old stocks to give me enough extra brickwork to hide the render edge on the landing wil post ideas for flu with dimensions and wait for your input before I go ahead .I ve got to wait for anchor plate so will do cuts for grill area while I wait.

Comment

Notched outer arch bricks going to get stainless316 flu and funnel shaped vent will cut last of the stock bricks to clad the funnel with fire brick sandwich for anchor plate .will try to incorporate a stainless ash tray hidden under granite landing. ( maybe with a curved front)I might still be able to curve granite, match.The above were in my plans in my head I only tend to sketch ideas if I run into trouble,I tend to use bits of wood to represent ideas I find it helps to work out the 3 dimensional aspects.by the time I d sketch or work an idea on a computer I tend to miss details or take longer than actually building.I am lucky to have a friend who lets me use his stainless workshop to tryout stuff the ash tray and argentine grill will be a suck it and see with a bit of wing it and hit it approach.
            I realised that I can create overhang by turning old stocks 45 deg to get a nicer ledge.I l post pic tomorrow.

Comment

Pics of my improvised ideas lid=flu. polystyrene =ash drawer.Brown plastic=curve of granite.ish.4th pic shows grill and old range I intend to restore it and convert it to some sort of smoker contraption that will emit smoke into grill area that I'll close off somehow with a stainless lid of some sort.The argentine grill will raise and lower a spit over wood and charcoal.Up the wall I will insulted and cement firebrick splits with a stainless cage in front to retain burning logs for vertical spit roasting.To the sides I have an idea to use hinged glass (heat proof) to protect windows from heat and spitting food.

Comment

Looking good. Saving a bit of space by notching the bricks... are you planning on packing the gap with rope for a thermal break / expansion joint or just tying into the inner arch?

How is the ash drawer going to work?

Comment

Seal with rope definitely just got black rope with rope adhesive and high temp silicone.Ash drawer i will just pull out from under granite sweep ash in and either throw it or use on grill.got 2 or 3 options re funnel not sure which is best.See pics

Comment

Opt1 funnel sit on arch opt2 funnel sit inside arch.I think on top probably stronger brickwork will be a mission gonna cut n dry stack this pm and long into the night!

Comment

Nice bit of metalwork you have there. I think you're right to put it on top of the arch. Should make a nice job of it

Comment

Yep it was £61 only got 9 whole bricks left,Going to try and make a good job of the chimney base using the old stocks.

Comment

Really struggling with how to make a nice job of the brick work at the base want to clad the whole outer arch in 1" slithers of old stocks and tie it all in with the old stocks covering the funnel.

Comment

What are the uncut diminsions of your fire brick and your "old stocks?
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Il post pics and diamentions tomorrow finished cutting tonight used up last of bricks on my fireplace repair and range oven restoration

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X