Raffy's WFO Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Raffy's WFO Build

Finished the chimney today, although, I'm not sure if I'm really done with it. I might have to extend the brick part of the chimney depending on how it performs.

I'm not very happy with my reveal. I wish it was a little thicker. It was supposed to be 3/4 of an inch but I didn't notice the miscalculation before it was too late. You see, the arch was based on a form with the assumption that I would be using 2x4x8 firebricks. I forgot to adjust the opening to the 2.5x4.5x9 bricks that I ended up buying. Hence, the reveal is only about 1/4 of an inch. Well, at least I have a reveal albeit very thin.

The vent opening is 7x13. I did not cut the bricks to make an inner slope in the chimney (that would have been a lot of work with a grinder). Instead, I did sort of like a terrace or "brick steps," if you will, to transition from the 7x13 opening to the final 7x7 square chimney. I used split sized firebrick for the chimney to lessen the weight on the arches.

I'm still trying to figure out how to transition from brick to tube to be able to extend the chimney height further. If ordering an anchor plate and chimney extender from FornoBravo was a viable option (shipping only to US and Canada), I would've clicked "Checkout Cart" days ago. I may have to go look for a metal fabricator. Not looking forward to what it might cost me. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Oh well, I'll get busy on the insulation blankets whilst figuring out a way to make a stable chimney extender.
    Last edited by Raffy; 03-29-2010, 04:01 AM.
    sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
    WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
    Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Hey Raffy,
      Your oven is looking great... the reveal, although small should work fine as long as you fit your door well,, and from the look of things so far, I'm sure you will.. As for extending the chimney, Is there a plumbing supply where you could get some cast iron sewer pipe ?? or something similar,, ??
      Cheers
      Mark

Comment

Raffy,
        I am with Mark- a length of 6" cast iron pipe. You could mount it on a flange on top of the chimney. It would oxidize in the weather and look cool. It is also very economical and readily available. Nice work on the chimney.
        Eric

Comment

Hi Raf,
          I'm laughing cause what is readily available in the US may not necessarily be so here in the Philippines. Never seen a cast iron drainage pipe here. Why not have a stainless flue fabricated. Mine wasn't too expensive.
          Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Hey lwood,
            chances are that if your house was built before the 70's you would have a cast Iron drain pipe waste system,,, It was replaced by PVC,, Most people prefer the cast Iron as there is a lot less plumbing noise involved...
            Raffy,
            Im not sure about the phillipines, but here in the U.S. pipe is available many different ways, even square,, cast iron, steel, stainless, and so on,,
            Cheers
            Mark
            Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, Guys.

Why not have a stainless flue fabricated. Mine wasn't too expensive.
              Hey John, would you mind telling me through PM how much the fabrication cost you? How did you attach it to the chimney?

Mark, thanks for your suggestion. You gave me a good idea. I might go with the square pipe. But, that raises the same question. How do I anchor it to the chimney?

I am with Mark- a length of 6" cast iron pipe. You could mount it on a flange on top of the chimney. It would oxidize in the weather and look cool. It is also very economical and readily available. Nice work on the chimney.
              I agree, Eric. I think it would give the oven that rustic look, no pun intended. How do you suggest I mount the flange?
              sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
              WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

We just finished installing the insulation today. I used 1" blankets so I had to wrap it twice then tied it down with some chicken wire. Some perlcrete will go on tomorrow and stucco finish after that.

I've been lighting newspaper fires at regular intervals to help the drying and curing of the dome. Dino will be happy to know that the chimney's draw is good and steady thanks to his help.

Easter Sunday might be the day I light the BIG ONE which leaves me the whole week to do the curing fires. I'm afraid I'm a closet pyromaniac. All I can think about is lighting fires!
                sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Hey Raffy,
                  If you can find the cast iron pipe,, you can probably have some heavy duty tabs welded on pretty cheaply and cement in some anchor bolts (to the top of the chimney) to hold it down,,

Comment

Looks good! I am not in the closet, I am a certified pyro.

Comment

• Re: Raffy's WFO Build

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                      Looks good! I am not in the closet, I am a certified pyro.
                      Hahaha! Amen, Brother, Amen!
                      sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                      WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Hey Mark,

I will most probably do it that way. It seems to be the most simple and cost effective way to do it.

Well, I put on the stucco already but I left the top portion of the dome unfinished to let any steam flow out freely. Once I feel the oven is dry enough, I'll top it off with the perlcrete and a final layer of stucco.

Can't wait to get cooking.
                        Last edited by Raffy; 03-31-2010, 01:57 PM.
                        sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                        WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Heh heh, there was a point few weeks ago when my oven looked like that, with a bald spot of insulation on the top. I did it for the same reason, to cook out the steam before sealing it up.

Beautiful entry and chimney btw.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                          Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Originally posted by kebwi View Post
                            Heh heh, there was a point few weeks ago when my oven looked like that, with a bald spot of insulation on the top. I did it for the same reason, to cook out the steam before sealing it up.

Beautiful entry and chimney btw.
                            Thanks! When I saw your beautiful arch, I modeled the semi circular shape after yours. I guess you were my inspiration when it came to the opening hehehe. I want to seal up that "bald spot" already but I have to be patient and dry out the dome properly. I'm mustering up any last shred of discipline not to go full blast on the curing fires.

Warm Regards,
                            Raffy
                            sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                            WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Meh, I tried to get the Inswool all dried out before filling in the vermicrete, then tried to dry out the vermicrete before doing a thin parge layer of concrete...and NOW I have to dry the whole thing out again before I go full-on with the water-resistant stucco. It's been very very wet this week. I think I'm basically back to square one.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                              Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

I thought I was a Pyro....but until I built a really big fire in my oven, I was out of your league.
                                Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Working...
                                X