X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• billwil
    replied
    Re: Outdoor kitchen in Texas

Looks great, IMHO. I'll be doing my countertops, too (also 30 square feet, but deep and not as long...it'll be around the oven and BBQ countertop area). I'll also be doing the same finish for the cap and seating area of my gas firepit. Oh...did I mention I've never done it before. I've been watching yours intently, and I think it turned out great.

My delima right now is there are soooo many different options for finishes with a concrete countertop that I don't know what I want (just a general color). Exposed or not exposed aggregate, polished or not, stained or colored or both, types of concrete and additives, etc. It's a bit overwhelming.

Thanks, though, for the chronicles.
    Bill~

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Here is the counter with a couple of coats of finish that i brushed on last night. I am very pleased with the outcome and have lots of dough left in the pocket for sure compared to granite or paying to get this done!
    It isn't perfect, but i think it is almost perfect fit for my kitchen and other materials. Thanks again Tom.
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Thanks Gulf. I hope Isaac behaves and doesn't cause you any grief. Any time your ready, come saddle up to the bar and i will serve the beverages of your choosing. I can kinda see the light at the end of the tunnel, but trying to trudge slowly. The flashing will be here today, so back to the oven for me.

Tom
    Again, Thanks for all your help on this. I think it turned out good. Only regrets is the outside exposed edge. I could spend more time on it, but i don't think it would produce any better result. The acrylic concrete patch is the right stuff i think for that. It gets hard and will polish somewhat. The dry concrete patch w/o acrylic that i bought after i ran out of the good stuff just disappeared when i tried to sand and smooth. I used my orbital sander on the top and for about 3 passes and sprayed water to keep wet with regular 80 grit sanding pads. I used 100 grit disc pad on the edge. No diamond pads on any of the sanding. I have minimal exposed aggregate from the sanding and gives it some interest to look at.

Any advice on what sealer and wax? you knew i would ask. especially wax; never thought about that.
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Looks great, seal it then wax the sealer, wax is easier to redo than sealer.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by texman View Post
    Been working on the counters and backsplash. Almost there on the bar i think....... I think it will look good once the finish is on and stays looking wet.
    Tracy
    Tracy,
    It is looking great! I've seen the looking in angle, but with the behind the bar shot (looking back toward the gate and fence) Awesome . I can see my self saddling up to a bar like that . I think that you will have a blast intertaining with with that set up.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Been working on the counters and backsplash. Almost there on the bar i think.
    just a few small voids on the edge to patch and i think it is ready for seal coat.
    Got the flagstone backsplash in. Still trying to decide what to do for the oven finish so i left that undone for now. I had a large void in the flagstone next to the sideburner unit that i filled with mortar an i need to do some dress up around the plug. 2x cedar veneer will cover the posts and hide most of the ugly concrete. I think it will look good once the finish is on and stays looking wet.
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

yea, i watched ole Buddy on you tube also, and feng tu(cant remember the name). Not sure i am using the right stuff, but i remember Buddy had some big voids in his edges as well. So i expected them. Good thing the wife doesn't check the forum. She did great really. I think it will turn out good. I am surprised that i have already exposed some aggregate with the light sanding i did. Good news is the aggregated has lots of color and will look good, bad news is 30' sq ft of it. I don't really want a polished and gleaming surface. It wouldn't fit with the rest of my kitchen and would look odd next to the flagstone counters i think.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Tracy,

In my research on polished concrete countertops, I saw a YouTube video by Buddy Rhodes and it showed how he addressed fill in the edges of a poured in place concrete counter. Maybe this will help. Playing with fire blaming the SWMBO

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

My edges don't look as good as i hoped and will need lots of work or maybe even veneered with brick or something. I am blaming the wife. i was mixing and pouring and she was placing along the edges. I used my sander to vibrate edges and bottom for air removal. I think my mix was a little dry. I am going to try and use the patch compound and color to make pretty edges. i used some of the patch compound uncolored to test since it will take multiple layers to get the right finish. The inside edge will get a flagstone covering as a small backsplash.
    I did some hand sanding on a few areas and have already exposed some aggregate. So, do i sand try for polished or a troweled and sanded finish. Still keeping it wet with the towels.
    Tracy
    Last edited by texman; 08-22-2012, 07:10 AM. Reason: add more pics

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Just cut one, it will look better anyway. You can take the face-form off anytime, but do not pull it directly away from the face, slide it along the face.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

dang it. I knew i forgot something. meant to put one at the center by those posts. I am sure it will crack there. I should probably cut one tonight.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Wow! Looks great. That is one long bar. Are you going to cut some joints into it?

I am still deciding on concrete or granite for my BBQ counter. I have a access to a "free" piece of granite slab - but free is in quotes because I'd still have to pay for the transport, cut, and install. May still go with concrete.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

tom
    i put some boards supported by the form to keep the plastic off the finished concrete. seemed to work ok. Just spray it lightly to keep wet?how often on the spraying?
    How long on the cure for the vertical support? I figure i can take the edge forms off this evening or should i leave it all together for now?

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

The plastic may cause discoloration if it has bubbles or wrinkles in it, but it will polish out. Keep it wet for a couple of days at least.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

thanks Russell. LOTS of work. Good luck on the polished concrete. I like that look, but with this much real estate to cover, i am hoping that i can make this work as is. If not, i will be polishing a while.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X