X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• texman
    replied
    Re: Outdoor kitchen in Texas

I got 5 bags of the maximizer which should be 5 cu ft. I need around 4.5 cu ft. I was thinking you said i needed acrylic modifier but i reread and see bonding agent. The bonding agent is just a coating for the permabase board , correct? I will get the fiber and rod probably wednesday. Any idea how much fiber i would need for this pour?
    Any thoughts on the corbels and spacing?
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

One rod the length of the front of the counter, 1-1/2" from the face (carry rods through any joint), another 3 inch back from that, then 8-12" OC long ways. 8-12" OC front to back, ending at least 1-1/2" from the face. If you were to bend the wire in shallow arcs back and forth it would be even better since it is slick rod.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    I just called CMC, they do not have the fibers but they DO have pencil rod, 1/4 x 20', that would work fine in your counter.

For the fibers, I called Golden Spread redi-mix on Van Buren, they sell bags of fibers for 12 bucks.
    Dude! Thanks for the legwork! Much appreciated!
    What kind of spacing on the rod?
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

replied

Hi Tracy,

Thank you so much for your post. I am loving your outdoor space. In regards to the ceiling predicament, we recommend a clearance of 14" from the top of the chimney pipe to ANY combustibles. I hope that this helps your decision.

Amber

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I just called CMC, they do not have the fibers but they DO have pencil rod, 1/4 x 20', that would work fine in your counter.

For the fibers, I called Golden Spread redi-mix on Van Buren, they sell bags of fibers for 12 bucks.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

These guys will have everything you need (except the Maximiser, it will be cheaper at the big box):

Amarillo Branch - CMC Construction Services Houston, Texas USA CMC Construction Services

Also, never use lath in concrete, the holes are not big enough and it creates a failure plane.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

The maximiser and bonding agent at HD or Lowes, sometimes they have the fibers, usually not. Glass doesn't play well with cement, the fibers are polyethylene/nylon and do not give the hairy look like the glass ones did (plus if there are any standing up you can either shave them or melt them off.
    Last edited by Tscarborough; 08-13-2012, 02:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

i think you are right on the crack in the middle. I plan to add corbels made from brick to try and give more support to the pour. I will try and find the maximizer, fibers and bonding agent. I thought the fibers would be visible in the finish so weren't usually used? Which fibers? glass?
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Code is at least an inch and a half embedment for rebar, mainly for water penetration but also to allow the concrete and rebar to act as a unit. Minimum depth for normal concrete slabs is 4", so that generally is not a problem. For a 1-2" slab, the rebar is not really going to provide any strength, it will reduce it.

Use the Maximizer (5500 psi), add fibers and bonding agent and you will end up in the 7-8000 psi range. The reinforcing wire is to hold the pieces together if it cracks more than anything (and a fifteen foot section is probably going to crack on a line perpendicular to long edge near the middle).

If it were me, I would design it in 2 pieces, pour one one day the other the next, or cut a groove at least 1/2" deep into the center soon after pouring it as a single unit.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Tscar
    i have 3/8" re-bar. I considered the wire, but thought since i have the 12" of overhang that the rebar would be better. I am going to set anchors into the top of the base wall that extend into the concrete pour and tie those to the rebar to try and hold the load. i really wanted 1/4" rebar, but the 3/8" is all HD had. I could add some thickness since i still need to set the rear form board, maybe 1/4" to get 1.75" thickness. What about wire lathe? good or bad for this? I will have to look for some latex bonding agent, don't think the HD or lowes had that.
    i can still look for that size wire, any idea where to get that? Are you saying just use the wire mesh and cut to size of form? I already bought the 8 bags of sacrete after fu cheng and buddy rhodes and Neil2 advice.
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    Last edited by texman; 08-13-2012, 02:06 PM. Reason: add info

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Just a suggestion, but in a 1.5" slab, you probably do not want any rebar larger than 3/8", and that is pushing it. You would do better using Maximiser concrete, fiber, and a latex bonding agent and use 3/16" horizontal reinforcing wire instead of the bar.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Looks good Tracy. I want to hear all about your pour. I have to get my counters in sometime in the next month while we still have good weather and am 90% sure I am going to go with concrete.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Waiting on chimney pipe for oven to arrive and trying to decide igloo v. enclosed, so been working on bar top. Here are the forms i have set thus far. The bar is 15' of curve and about 2' deep. Planning for 1.5" thickness with a 2" lip to hide the 1/2" permabase layer. Using 500psi sacrete and brown color additive. Hope to pour this weekend. Still need to add rebar and inside screed edge. Looks like about 4 cu. ft. or 8 bags of 80# sac-crete. Getting great advice from Neil2. I think i will do a troweled finish instead of polished but still planning at this point.
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

went pretty good, i think. It sucked though. If i could do something right the first time , i would be done. Would you mind looking at my thread and give me your opinion about using the brick in the picture C to start my arch? seems hard to get some answers sometimes, maybe i ask too many questions.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

oh, it's a contrast all right. I am going to go after it with a power washer once the enclosure is done. I am putting a rock facing on my oven/bbq and figure there is still some cutting in my future.

I think I've about ruined my shop vac.

How did the arch cutting go? Did you end up where you wanted to?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X