Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor kitchen in Texas

FB Forum Folks

I have been at this kitchen project for over two years now and finally feel like i have something to share since i am finally building the WFO. But as i look back at what i started with, i seem to have accomplished something. I started with a blank slab, like most. Except mine was there as a patio. I like the location, because i could have hot/cold water for sink, sewer for drain, and gas for grill, cable for tv, electrical for lights, sound, plugs, and a way to keep amplifiers/receivers from weather. I hated the way the existing roof around the patio was laid out. It has about three valleys that pour into that area where i wanted my kitchen. I considered gutters and a gazebo cover, but in the end i decided a mostly flat roof tied into existing was the best route. The heat of the summer and the occasional rain would make the area unusable many days, so a roof was mandatory. But oh well, you have to make the best of what you have. I was tempted to go away from the house, and build on a fresh site in the backyard. If you go that approach, utilities have to be extended, site work, etc., or do without water/electrical/sewer. I decided that proximity to house was the most important after reading many threads and articles about outdoor kitchens. Also, i could make the existing indoor kitchen window a pass through to outside/inside.
    i have done everything myself except extend a gas line and pour the original slab. I have done a lot of projects, but nothing compares to this one. Since i started, we have replaced the windows in the house, redone the indoor kitchen (because my outdoor was looking to good i think). I still have a long way to go, but i can see progress for sure.

Tracy
    Texman Kitchen
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Re: Outdoor kitchen in Texas

Originally posted by texman View Post
    FB Forum Folks

I have ...... redone the indoor kitchen (because my outdoor was looking to good i think). I still have a long way to go, but i can see progress for sure.

Tracy
    An outdoor Man Cave .

Tracy,
    You are going to have an excellent and accessable place to intertain and unwind. Love the ceiling .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

It ALL looks great!........NICE Job!..

Comment

Thanks guys. I plan to cover the posts with the same cedar that i used in the cabinet base. I have more flagstone for the bartops, and i will brick the outside of the bar with old chicago brick to match the house. All this of course, after the wfo is done. Still trying to decide on what to do with the floor. Thinking about screening the kitchen in as well(flies, snow, leaves, MOTHS) but the grill would put a lot of heat on a screen. still thinking.
        When i was planning the kitchen originally, i didn't even know about wfos. I was trying to figure out what to do in that corner and along came forno bravo and then it all started to come together. Or as my wife says, "hurry up and get done with that thing."
        The oven will be enclosed, i think, with as much air gap above as i can manage because of the wood roof. The oven base will probably use chicago brick to match the house. i dont want to do brick on the oven enclosure because of the added weight it would bring to the area. Maybe stucco or even cut brick veneer if i am still wanting to cut more brick.
        Texman Kitchen

Comment

meant to add photo. How did that beer box get in there?
          Gulf, the ceiling is just tongue/groove pine with several coats of spar varnish applied with short nap roller and brushed, (by hand of course). It went pretty good. I didn't want to cut the holes for lights and speakers after i had it all finished and pretty. i really worried about the wood over the oven after reading several fire stories. I think i will be good, i hope. i have three layers of blanket waiting and will use vermiculite too if needed. I think the three layers will be good, though.
          Tracy
          Texman Kitchen

Comment

....i really worried about the wood over the oven after reading several fire stories. I think i will be good, i hope......
            Tracy
            Many of us live in homes with open fireplaces and never have a problem. I think that you will be ok if you follow some simple safety tips that you are probably already aware of. My suggestions would be to preheat your chimney before lighting a fire in the oven. Get the draft working in your favor and then slowly add to the fire load in your oven. Don't smother a fire with a door and then abruptly remove it giving it a chance to backdraft .
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I am still wondering if i did the right thing by not covering the area above the oven with the same wood as the ceiling. My thinking at the time is that i would cover with a fire resistant material(metal, concrete board, or even ceramic board ) Of course, i was also thinking i would completely enclose the WFO to ceiling and have passive venting of the enclosure. Now i am thinking that the top of the enclosure could be probably 2' below ceiling. Then is should have covered the area above the oven. decisions???
              Any thoughts on the ceiling transition? Air is good for any heat dissipation, but with three layers of 1" blanket, i hope that isn't a concern. I could go igloo and the outdoor kitchen would be more open/airy. Then the ceiling cover again. I can enclose all the way up to ceiling. Just concerned may make the area feel crowded. even thought about a round enclosure. But i don't want to use bricks for any enclosure to minimize the weight.
              Any ideas out there?
              Texman Kitchen

Comment

I'm thinking that copper ceiling tile would look good above the oven. It has the same warm tone that the pine has, and it's fireproof.

Comment

We All are used to cook in indoor kitchen but when we cooking in outdoor kitchen we have a different feeling and a special kind of enthusiasm i feel this in my hometown.

Comment

i have heard of the copper sheets, but not the copper tile. Great idea! any idea where to find it?
                    Texman Kitchen

Comment

Try this site. If you want pure copper, it isn't cheap--upwards of $30 to $50 per 2x2 panel. Although that really isn't any more expensive than my granite for the face of my oven. You can get copper plated tin or plated steel for less, and can find the plate at Home Depot.

Copper Tiles - Decorative Ceiling Tiles, Inc. Store
                      Last edited by azatty; 05-23-2012, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Tracy

We just built the rock facade on up to the ceiling. You can see the 'brick mold' on the ceiling here:

This pic shows the moment of the last piece of rock:

The important safety issue is getting the flu through the roof without transferring heat to the house. A traditional chimney worked for us, with an inside flu liner, an air space and a brick facade with flashing where it exits the roof decking, shown here:

HTH
                        Lee B.
                        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Needing some ideas and advice for my bar top. My original plan was to use flagstone and set with thinset. That is what i used for the countertops and it is working well.
                          What is the standard overhang for a bar? (Room necessary to pull up a barstool) I think i will need to use some type or corbels for appearance and support of the bar surface overhang. I can cut triangular shaped corbels from flagstone for corbels and use an angle grinder to make a small recess in the brick to accept the corbel and adhere all that with thinset.
                          I am concerned that the flagstone overhang may look wimpy because it is only about 1.25" thick. However i keep telling myself that that is the thickness of the granite of the inside kitchen and it looks fine.
                          I have read several threads about making concrete counters. any suggestions on that? What is the minimum thickness i could use?
                          Granite (big $$) what about stainless ? (big $$?)
                          Thanks as always for any advice.
                          Tracy
                          Texman Kitchen

Comment

What is the standard overhang for a bar? (Room necessary to pull up a barstool)
                            I don't know that there are any standards but I have a foot overhang for stool seating on the kitchen counter and it works.

Chris

Comment

I installed a granite Island in a kitchen remodel. The granite extends 12 inches from the support (on three sides). The granite has a bull nose so the bulk of the material is 3/4 inch and the edge "hangs down: an additional 3/4 inch. I used 3/4 inch thick osb paneling cut to fit between the bull nose on top of the island. I then routed slots to allow inlay of metal stakes (1/4 inch thick by 24 inches long - bought at HD in the concrete framing supply section). I used liquid nails (for granite) to keep the metal in the wood, and to keep the granite in place. I did this to (hopefully) avoid the day a teenager jumps up on the counter to sit and the granite snaps off.
                              BTY a cool trick for leveling the granite was to put screws up through the wood panel to level. Once the liqid nails hardened - the screws were removed.
                              dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X