X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tscarborough
    replied
    Re: Outdoor kitchen in Texas

Search for masonry supplies or concrete block supplies. It is called horizontal reinforcing wire and is available in ladder and truss, mill galv and HDG. You want HDG.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Hey Tracy (or anyone) -
    Where does one find ladder wire? I have a ~4.5" section of concrete that will be behind my BBQ that I would like to reinforce. I don't think I have seen ladder wire at the ol' HD

Dennis

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

I had to get some more supplies. Here is a pic. i was really tired after loading all of that stuff.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

No problemo, Hijack away. I think it is cool. Makes me feel special. Ahhhhh.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Tscar/Tex,

Thanks for the ideas, forming today so will get an idea of how to layout ladder wire. Tex, did not want to hijack your thread on the kitchen.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Tscar,

I am thinking of using ladder wire for my 2" concrete counter. How do you suspend the wire at the right depth? I am going to overhang the counter from the hearth base 2", beyond ladder wire and adding polyp fibers, do you recommend any additional steel since you are the concrete guru.
    Russell
    here is my "redneck" solution for the suspension of the wire rebar in the pic. It worked fine.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    If the granite will be flush with the countertop, you should use a blockout when placing the concrete, then just let the granite float, no need to thinset it down. The issue would be the depth of your counter top, if it is 3/4" concrete, you would need at least 3" of high strength concrete to inset it.
    Clarification please: Did you mean 3/4 inch granite? And I already have a 4 inch thick slab with #4 rebar in it I will be pouring over. so in that case it is another layer over an existing 4 inch slab.

I was thinking of using a 2 inch pour and creating a 2 inch bull nose formed from split PVC pipe. I have done this before for my pool coping and it worked out well.

I was unable to make a nice looking corner in sketchup but this is how i see the inset piece of granite.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

If the granite will be flush with the countertop, you should use a blockout when placing the concrete, then just let the granite float, no need to thinset it down. The issue would be the depth of your counter top, if it is 3/4" concrete, you would need at least 3" of high strength concrete to inset it.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post

....I am thinking of using ladder wire for my 2" concrete counter. How do you suspend the wire at the right depth? ....
    One way is to have the wire and or rebar precut, and tied. Depending on the size counter, you might need some help to place it. Fill the form to the depth that you want the reinforcement placed, insert the steel, and finish the pour.

One word of warning: If your concrete is too wet, and you pour 1/2 way up your outside bands, there will be a distinct line between the two pours (even if it is just a few minutes).

If your concrete is the perfect consistency, it will be firm enough to press into the bands to make a "wet form" to house the second pour.

For a "poured in place", the line between the two pours can easily be blended with screeding and floating. If it is an "upside down" pour, no problems .
    "
    Just another way to skin a cat" .

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

I have a related question on this topic, is it possible or am I off base.

I would like to pour a concrete prep table but really like working dough on granite.

Is it possible to combine the two? A concrete counter with a recessed granite piece embeded in the concrete at the same finish level.

If I did this would I pour the counter first and leave a void for the granite placing it in afterward with thinset and grouting around the seam, or would I pour the counter with the granite embeded in the wet concrete?

Or some other method? Thanks

Granite/Concrete counter being considered is the one on the left of photo

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 09-13-2012, 02:23 PM. Reason: added Photo

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Slice some scrap firebrick to the right depth and use them for shims under the wire. Bonding agent is always good.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Tscar,

I am thinking of using ladder wire for my 2" concrete counter. How do you suspend the wire at the right depth? I am going to overhang the counter from the hearth base 2", beyond ladder wire and adding polyp fibers, do you recommend any additional steel since you are the concrete guru.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Thanks Lee, if i can do it, anyone can. Hopefully it has cooled off in DFW. Time for a countertop??

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied
    I have the bug!

Tracy, that counter top looks so good that I'm considering doing something similar.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Thanks Bill. That was my first rodeo too. If you don't have a cantilever, it will be easier to do. The ingredients were all HD/Lowes except for the pencil rod, which makes it nice. The color is brown and i used 1 bottle per bag. I mixed a bottle of red over the five bags, but i cant see it. Mine was really simple for the pour and finish and didn't take a huge amount of time. I wanted something that "fit" my kitchen and the polished finish would not have worked for me. That is my story or maybe i am ready to drink at the bar and be done working on it. You need to decide the color and can get the finish you want depending on the amount of grinding and polishing you are up for. I would do some test pours to decide what you really want and to get a feel for it. To me, the edges are the most difficult to form, pour and finish. So be sure and work those edges and vibrate, tap, retap vibrate. I think a slightly wetter mix there helps, (especially if it is supported underneath. Let me know if i can help. Tom Scarborough really helped me. Start a thread and you will get all the help you will need.
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X