• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nissanneill
    replied
    Re: Neill's new kitchen underway!

Elizabeth,
    I know the style and pattern that I want, in soft neutral colours and with the darker tiles in terracotta. I want a 'widish' border tile with (I think they call it) a tessilated border with plainer tiles set on the diagonal in the centre.
    It is a fairly large area 3.8metres x 14 metres long so it will take me some time as I need to put in a new base and this time I will slope it away from the house into my inground drainage system rather than trying to keep it perfectly flat as mu other half argued for some 30 years ago. Bad news!! I now always do what I believe is the correct way to go, much less lasting hassles!
    We have many tile shops/warehouses here in Adelaide but all bar 6 are owned by one very greedy company and the others ride on their inflated prices.
    I will just keep my eyes and ears open for that right deal.
    Softer crusts - No I haven't tried that trick but I will bear it in mind next bake!
    Neill

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Merciful heavens what a "to do" list! It does give you plenty of time to find a really great tile, though. There are so many nice ones out there it can be hard to choose!

Have you tried brushing your crusts with butter or oil after you take them out of the oven? It does soften them up. I haven't tried it on the hearth style bread, though, as I like the chewy stuff!

Leave a comment:

• berryst
    replied

What a great party space!
    berryst

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Hi Elizabeth,
    No the floor is something that can wait for a multitude of reasons.
    I need to extend the roof over the oven for extra protection from the prevailing weather, turning the area behind the oven into a small fernery, put some construction glass along the retaining wall, re-establish the surrounding gardens and redo the irrigation system.
    I have just built an automatic 4.2 metre sliding gate for my daughter and need to install it, complete my grand daughters raised cubby house, slippery dip and large sand pit, Paint the outside of the house for my inlaws 60th wedding anniversary which is being held home in mid March, build an extra room for my daughter who just miscarried but needs the extra room and my other daughter is looking at major house extensions to their home.
    So 2009 looks exceptionally busy for me and the floor can just wait. I also need to find something that I really like, buy the tiles and install them whenever.
    As far as the bread is concerned, I prefer the softer crusts over the chewey ones, so I need to try out some other recipes to meet these needs.
    I found a great bread book (it cost me a mere $1 at a recycle place), in as new condition, published by Readers Digest in the UK in 1998 and is great with a host of goodies which I need to try some of their recipes.

Cheers

Neill

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

It looks really wonderful. Are you waiting on the tile floor for that long for a particular reason? Like the floor needs to cure or something?

It would be lovely to have such a nice space outdoors in which to work! I was looking for the mixer and didn't see it at first- but then I was not looking for something that tall! I didn't realize the scale of the thing! I'm glad it works well on smaller batches. I think that's harder for many mixers than a large batch.

I hope you can get bread to "your other half's preference" soon! My other half eats the crusty hearth bread I make for dinner, but prefers a softer bread for sandwiches. So I make him two loaves a week for his sandwich pleasure, and then make crusty breads for mine! This is why I love the baker's percentage- I can scale down the number and size of the loaves so I'm not buried in bread...

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Almost finished,
    well numerous little touches yet to be done but all the big numbers (with the exception of the tiled floor in 12-18 months time) are complete, even the painting.
    Still need to get the kick rail timber and stain or paint to suit, a few zip ties on the overhead electrical cables, stock the cupboards and we are raring to go. Arrange the left cupboard for all the oven tools, hang the tea towel rack, and mount/plumb the gas heater (but seeing as it was 39˚C today, this is not a priority).
    We have a show for between 80 and 100 guests in mid March which will be a good test.
    I need to change the globes in the lights over the table/chairs as they are quite yellow when compared to those over the sink and benches.
    I used the mixer for the first time today, only small batches but did a good job. I need to make bigger mixes but only when the breads are up to standard (the other halves preference).

Neill

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

Now that is one heck of a mixer!!!!

The whole thing is coming together nicely!!! There are now two links I won't let my wife see here - your kitchen and Frances' twirly bits! (I'm sure she'd want both!)

Christo

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

A bit more progress over the last two days.
    Mortised in the door hinges and fitted, drilled and fitted drawer fronts, connected the waste to the sink, hung and wired the lights over the kitchen area (very impressed with the lights and their effect especially at night - light only where it was intended) and oiled the table. Also been busy in the garden (the tomatoes are really coming on and will be making pizza sauces and chutneys from 7 different varieties) and staining finishing a carved rocking horse for my youngest grand daughter's cowgirl first birthday in 10 days.
    A big cleanup tomorrow, put away tools, paint the wall and get the kitchen stocked/organised for trial cookup.
    I am still waiting for my freeze tiles to arrive and the cabinet hardware to return for the door knobs.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Well I'm on holidays and the kitchen got the better of me.
    I flushed the cement sheets where they will show, over the top of the overhead cupboards, connected all the electrical outlets (5 double power points) mounted the overhead cupboards and started to swing the doors until I need some special screws or different Hettich hinges.
    The bench tops will get their final sand and a couple of coats of Sanding sealer, then several coats of oil rubbed in with fine steel wool. This gives a very serviceable surface which can be re-oiled on demand which removes any spots/marks/blemishes.
    I stripped the taps (faucet), it needs a little polishing and either clear powder coating or I prefer to spray with auto 2 pack clear.
    I will collect the extra door knobs, bench and splash back tiles together with the sink fittings tomorrow in readiness for the public holiday exercises between a cubby house and automatic sliding gate for my daughter. Going to get busy, but that how I like it.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

A little more progress. As hoped. I buscuited and glued up the the smaller bench top last night and sanded it today.
    Hopefully I can get them cut, edge finished (cut and routed) and ready (sink cut out) for fitting once I get the cupboards in and mounted.
    Unfortunately these will have to wait a few weeks during recovery and I am allowed to 'work' again.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

That's going to look really nice, Neill. Your whole outdoor kitchen is going to be a terrific addition to your home!

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

That's a much nicer sander than mine. I built one years ago with a dryer motor and carved the drums round myself (plans from fine woodworking magazine I think) The belt material I bought lasted forever as long as I did not sand pine. (joining the ends into a belt was a bit tricky). My puck was a piece of delrin with a door handle - nothing fancy like your linear bearing setup!

Very good looking wood - Can't wait to see it with a finish on it!

Christo

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Hi Christo,
    I returned to work today and ended up dismantling equipment and packing up cartons for our move next week into new offices. came home a little early to sand the benchtop with my rather large lacey belt sander. The table that the top is on is 8ft long and I can sand 10 foot items up to 2 ft high,. A great toy eh!
    I have included a couple of pics (with the new camera) and some of the grain.
    They should come up a treat once completed.
    I plan on biscuiting and gluing up the smaller top tomorrow night.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

Neill, glad to see the surgery went well.

It's funny to hear you talk about having to take it easy after the surgery and seeing the glue up of a massive countertop in the same posting!!! You are one tough guy!

Looking good!

Christo

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Another weekend all but gone and only a little more done.
    Still recovering from surgery and need to take things easy (easier said than done but don't want to go through it again).
    Saw a bargain digital camera in the paper yesterday and got a gem 10.1mb Panasonic Lumix FZ50 for under $300. Been playing with it getting familiar.(The old 2.3Mb Sony will be pensioned off now and don't have to borrow the wife's camera).
    I cut, biscuit joined and glued up the larger sink bench top and will remove it from the cramps tomorrow night for final shaping and sanding.
    The smaller top will be a breeze to assemble and finish as it is only rectangular.
    Will keep you posted as to progress.

Neill

Leave a comment:

Working...
X