X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nissanneill
    replied
    Re: Neill's new kitchen underway!

Another week-end over and a little more progress.
    Cutting out the rather large overhanging gum tree set me back a little but it is now down and almost put away. Some of the log rounds are so heavy that I need a sack truck to move them and I can really swing an axe but they just bounce off them. Guess the chainsaw will be working overtime when I need to use the dried wood either in the oven or heating the house next winter.
    Well, the frame is complete and I finished the painting tonight. The roofing material was ordered last Monday and I should pick it up hopefully on my day off, next Wednesday afternoon.
    Hopefully, weather permitting, I will have some pics with the roof on and measured up for the new cupboards.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Wednesday 10 September and it's tree cutting time.
    The large gun tree that has overshadowed the oven abd new patio had to come down and created a huge problem as it was not accessible by cherry picker or truck, so it was up to a tree climber, roping and cutting limb by limb and log by log.
    The trunk was almost the limit that would designate the tree as one of significance and hence come under council legislation..
    there were 3 on the ground and one up climbing the tree cutting it down over a 6 hour period.
    The only casualty was the 33 year old little picket fence when a 24" diameter 600kg log from the lower trunk was swung over the lawn and rolled onto it.
    I now have around 5 to 6 ton of hardwood which I need to split and stack for oven and slow combustion use next winter.

Neill

PS. Having trouble uploading the pictures!
    PPS. Got the pics up at last
    Last edited by nissanneill; 09-11-2008, 05:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Hi Elizabeth,
    No we don't eat nor use it for cooking, but is a necessity for both Mig and Tig welding.
    Argoshield is a non flammable gas that is piped down a tube on the Mig welder and encompasses the arc when wire welding. It excludes the oxygen from the welding arc and gives a nice clean smooth weld on your joints.
    Arc or 'stick welding' has a 'flux' coated on the welding rod which does a very similar thing but leaves a heavy deposit on the weld which must be chipped off.
    The 8.9 cubic metre bottles have around 3000 lbs/ sq inch pressure in them and the one delivered to me only had 1000 lbs/ squ inh in it and at $180 per cylinder, I am only getting 1/3 of what I am paying for!

Neill

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

what on earth is argoshield mig gas??? It sounds ominous. And certainly not good eats.

Sorry your Father's Day was a literal washout- I hope next week's better!

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Need to maintain the tradition of the weekly posting!
    Sunday 7th September, Fathers Day here down under.Very little achieved this week end as I had difficulty with the argon gas supplier on Friday for the argoshield mig gas. Only a half full $180 cylinder delivered, Not happy at all as I was asked not to use it which stuffed my planned weekend completely.
    Well then, onto painting, but it rained every time I went out to get the framework painted. I got most of the purlins done yesterday except for one which I planned on doing this morning. Fathers Day and up to the alarm, wrong! it was wet and raining, so up into the veggy garden and dig it over in readiness for a batch of those special Italian tomatoes that I have sewn.
    I had to go to the son's home for breaky and got home to paint at lunchtime, just in time to catch another shower of rain.
    Mid afternoon it was fine so off I go, get 80% through it and down it pours again. Wash up and give up for this week-end. try again next week!
    I have a large gum tree being cut down mid week so will have plenty of great hardwood for the oven once it dries out. I recon an around 5 to 6 ton! Will put some pics on the day.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

No,
    a bar fridge is a waste of time as they are too small.
    I have a smaller fridge, 2 door around a 12 cubic foot to go in besides the wood storage bench which will provide the cold drinks and pizza toppings.
    I also have a 39l Engel 12/240 volt fridge that can be dragged out if needed.
    The large 2 door SS side by side fridge is only through the wall in the kitchen and another 12 cubic foot 2 door fridge up stairs. Plenty of cold storage.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• Mitchamus
    replied

looking good.

No bar fridge but?

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

Glad to see you're still having fun with those trusses - looks like a lot of hard work but it will be worth it. Nice plans!

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Just put a little thought into the cupboard layout at the end of the new kitchen layout.
    The high cupboard on the lhs will be for the oven tools as it is located adjacent to the oven and we all need places to store these long hard to store implements.The tall one on the rhs is purely to balance the lot.
    I plan to stock the cupboards with everything required for a kitchen rather than run back and forth into the household kitchen looking for cups, glasses. plates etc, BUT they will all be polycarbonate and melamine as the kitchen is also close to the pool. Safety, especially for the young ones.
    Thoughts????

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Well, another weekend gone and more progress made.
    Although a little wet, I managed to get the end gable up although I had to cut the top rail off, cement in the uprights and re-weld the top on today. Reason, well the oven was in the way and I had to cantilever the roof over the oven and also to allow for the kitchen cupboards to be mounted over the workbench/pizza assembly area.
    A few little extras to complete but a little more steel to collect.
    Stay tuned.
    Catch you all next week.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

Wow! That section that went over and on to the roof looked really tricky!

There is a certainly a fair amount of welding going on here on the forum lately.

Christo

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Another weekend gone and I feel nackered!
    Today was all out getting the other beams up, the mounts in the roof through the tiles fabricated and sealed, then cut, position and weld in the purlins.
    All went well but the moving of the scaffolding, the lifting up and down of the mig welder, continually up and down the ladders simply wore me out.
    I even began to run the electrical cabling through the beams to the lights location so that it will be out of sight and out of harms way.
    Good to see progress continuing.
    Next week, it will be aligning the end beam, truing it up and concreting it in place, finishing off the purlins ready for painting and then the roof.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Another weekend and little progress.
    I have been looking after the neighbours house for 3 months during their Europe and Canada holiday so had to do the gardenning between showers and my son come around this morning to high jack me doing a custom made tow bar for his japanese import Nissan Stagea wagon.
    All those extra tasks done, it was back to the patio and the demolition of the reinforced concrete bench tops and the brick walls at the end of the patio. It was hard work swinging the 16lb sledge hammer but it was the only thing that would have any impact on my 30+ year old build.
    Load all the debris and down to the recycle/transfer yard for disposal.
    I also need to remove a substantial gum tree growing madly directly behind the oven and has broken the decorative retaining wall and is ready to drop limbs on the neighbours garage, carport, my oven and my new patio construction.
    At least a little progress is better than no progress.
    So that will go in the next few weeks with a tree climber ready to cut it down limb by limb. At least I will have plenty of good burning wood in a couple of years once it dries out.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Sarah,
    I can't complain about the weather as we do need the rain and the forecast is for rain, hail and showers until Thursday.It is just an inconvenience when you are trying desperately to get things done. No sense in complaining about something thatI have no control over.
    The sweet pizzas are simply rolled out pizza dough, a smattering of butter or margarine, cut thin slices of banana (I used a very over-ripe black skinned one that my wife had reserved for a banana cake), sprinkle some sultanas onto it and a very light sprinkle of cinnamon. If you like it even sweeter, then a light sprinkle of sugar but try it without first. Roll it into a long roll and cut diagonally into around 15mm slices, lay flat on a pan and cook for around the same time as a pizza and carefully eat hot. Yum!!! My little grand daughter knocked down 3 after she had 2 mini custom made pizzas.

Christo,
    the guy in the blue beanie is a state footballer, my son in law and was trying to keep warm. I got him out from the warmth of the house watching the olympics and interstate football and put him to work. Not happy Jan! but he will do anything for me as I do many things for my kids and their partners.
    I have also passed your tR4 advt on for inclusion into the next magazine.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

The chap in the blue hat did not look so happy to be on that ledge....

Exciting to see your drawings become real!

Christo

Leave a comment:

Working...
X