X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sarah h
    replied
    Re: Neill's new kitchen underway!

Hey Neill, things are looking really good - that's going to be a terrific party pavilion!

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Another weekend gone and a little more progress for a few weeks anyway!
    I completed the red gum machining and only need to dock to length, buscuit join and glue, then a final sanding.
    I got the end frame completed, installed and wired for the cladding.
    No more heavy work for at least 3 weeks so it all needs to go on the back burner.
    I broke through the concrete floor and put in the sink waste into the sewer, so all ready to cut the hole in the bottom sink cupboard and connect the water once the tops are completed.
    I have just sat the cupboard in their approx position but the three centre units will be raised and secured to the rail 1200mm up the wall.
    I need to get some water resistant gyprock to clad the frame before I mount the cupboard carcases, tile and then fit the doors and the top decorative rail.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Hi Elizabeth,
    I have thought about that long and hard and definitely NOT using a single or 2 pack epoxy.
    All of the furniture that I have made in the past, I use a 'sanding sealer', 2 coats that lifts the grain a little, lifts and brings the real colour out, sand it (which will be done prior to installation anyway) and then oil it.
    If and when used, it marks, then all you do is put some more oil into it with some steel wool which brings up the lustre and removes the marks.
    I plan on oiling it lightly each time i use it but tht is as simple as wiping it down after use, just like we all do in cleaning up.

Neil

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Holy cow, Neill. Are you sure those gigantic slabs didn't GIVE you the hernia???

They're lovely pieces of wood and will make a truly remarkable countertop. What kind of finish will you put on them for the outdoors?

Leave a comment:

• staestc
    replied

Very pretty Neil. Those are going to look great! Thanks for posting them,
    Travis

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Travis,
    Saturday night and little on the tele so I decided to go out in the woodworking shed and cut up those redgum slabs for the bench tops. I go into hospital for a hernia surgery on Wednesday and just in time because throwing those slabs around tonight is giving me hell. I got the side fence up and trimmed today so will put up the back wall of the kitchen tomorrow which will see all of the 'heavy jobs' done before I am not allowed to lift anything heavier than a 'kitchen chair' for 3 weeks.
    Here are the pics that you wanted to see, the 2 slabs that I used are 1900 and 2100mm long x 500mm wide x 70mm thick and weigh a ton, when lifting them by myself. I had to cut them in halves to fit through my thicknesser where I planed them to just over 60mm thick, This will be the joined/glued edges and the tops will end up around 32mm thick. I then ripped them down to 38mm when I planed and thicknessed them to around 33mm thick.
    Whilst convalesing, I will biscuit join them, glue and cramp them into the 2 bench tops and then sand them on my rather large lacey belt, 6" wide and I can sand 10 foot long tops in one go.
    I will put up a few pics of the kitchen progress tomorrow night.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• staestc
    replied

Thanks Neil, was just curious.
    Travis

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Travis,
    I used a vector based graphic drawing programme called Macromedia Freehand MX which is now owned by Adobe.
    We, (the Graphic Arts industry in South Australia) used it for many years before changing to Adobe Illustrator CS. I teach the programme (or at least the elementary stages) to various FFS and apprentice students. It is very similar also to CorelDRAW (the latest version X3 because Corel were scared to call it version 13!
    I just picture in my mind, what is needed, generate the shapes, add a third dimension and then render it. Once completed, you save it in a .pdf either the smallest possible file size if a complex illustration, or the industry standard X1-a format.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• staestc
    replied

I vote we wait till a bit after Christmas when it is really cold on the north side of the equator, then all head to Neil's place!!!

Off topic (as if that previous comment was not already), Neil, those flue drawings for the offset flue, were those sketchup or some other program? Just curious about that.

Cheers,
    Travis

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Most certainly Christo!
    Just get your backside over here, there's 2 spare bedrooms, a spare vehicle to have a good look around, I'll even take you down to Russell's restaurant to witness his plain red brick ovens and how well it stands up to commercial use and we can have a few hell pizza parties.
    We might even find some of those TR4 parts that you are looking for.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

Hey Neill!!!

Can I get a look in person?

Christo

Leave a comment:

• Tim F
    replied

I got a look in person yesterday - it's looking great!

Leave a comment:

• staestc
    replied

Wow, sounds like you have been busy Neil!

The wood for the bench tops sounds cool. Please post a picture of the lumber before you rip it and finish it, so we can see before and after photos of the finishing I know River Redgum is native to Oz, but I don't know what it looks like or anything else about it. Guess I better go Google it.

Travis

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Well.
    over a month gone by and the kitchen/patio is progressing although a little slower than the oven build but progressing.
    The kitchen cupboards have been ordered and hopefully ready for pickup in around a week, the 10 seat 3 metre table arrived assembled and installed, the required 500mm diameter lamps sourced and installed, the fences re railed and the veggy garden refreshed with new citrus trees and all the required veggies planted and being tendered.
    Guess you could say that I have been busy with 2 trips to the recycle depot )rubbish and garden waste) and 3 trailer loads of horse manure for the new roses and gardens from the racing stables.
    More to do on the fence this week-end and prepare the cement counter for tiling when the overhead cupboards arrive for installation. There needs to be around an inch or so cut off the front edge and slope it slightly towards the front for drainage, I also need to build a veneer wall first to hang the overhead cupboards but that's only a couple of hours and a dozen lengths of treated timber.
    I've been debating on the benchtops, Granite slabs? laminex/formica?, tiles? or have settled on laminated River Redgum as I have 3 rather large, thick and verrrrry heavvvy slabs (2100 x 100 x 700mm) which I will rip down thickness, glue and finish in oil rather than painting with epoxy or 2 pack clear.I don't want them 4" thick so will cut then for around 1 1/2" finished.
    I will post some pics when it looks like things are happening and can be seen.

Neill
    Last edited by nissanneill; 10-28-2008, 03:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Work tomorrow!, but holidays commence on Friday. I should get a host of work on the kitchen done then.
    I came home crook last Friday, spending the day in bed, early to bed to sweat it out that night and again last night. I thought that I was coming good today, but after a heavy days work, I feel like I've come from a pub brawl, tired, aching and very sore.
    My son came around for an hour and a half to help with the long sheets of colourbond and I had to stop when I ran out of tech screws. I will pick up some more on Tuesday and finish the roof on Friday.
    Things are looking good and progress can be seen without all the behind the scenes work.

Neill

Leave a comment:

Working...
X