• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archena
    replied
    Re: Choosing and finding wood

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    G'day
    Will palm trees burn? You better believe it. I live in the sub tropics and every garden it seems has palm trees..... And the dreaded palm fronds. That drop off and have to be disposed off.
    Palm fronds contain oil so palm frond burn well really well. I get a fire going with hardwood and the domes good and warm fold them into 1/3 rd and push them in. Even 1/2 dry they will burn . But not more than 1 or 2 at once otherwise the flames will be licking out the door and the heat wasted.
    You have to do a bit of work as they burn away quickly but it supplements my hardwood stocks and clears the yard of fronds.
    Its my local renewable resource.....
    Regards dave

Out of curiosity, could you roll the palm fronds? I do that with magazines and newspaper (what doesn't end up in the cat box, of course) and they burn very well.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day
    Will palm trees burn? You better believe it. I live in the sub tropics and every garden it seems has palm trees..... And the dreaded palm fronds. That drop off and have to be disposed off.
    Palm fronds contain oil so palm frond burn well really well. I get a fire going with hardwood and the domes good and warm fold them into 1/3 rd and push them in. Even 1/2 dry they will burn . But not more than 1 or 2 at once otherwise the flames will be licking out the door and the heat wasted.
    You have to do a bit of work as they burn away quickly but it supplements my hardwood stocks and clears the yard of fronds.
    Its my local renewable resource.....
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• MD56
    replied

Hi All, Great Thread!

So like a few others, I'm in southern California (Orange County) where hardwoods aren't exactly plentiful and definitely aren't cheap (if only we could burn palm trees!).

My question to you all is what you think about when a firewood guy offers "Mixed hardwoods". Is that good enough for you or do you keep it to a single species?

Most of my local suppliers offer a mix of something Elm, Sycamore, Apricot, Eucalyptus, Maple, Red Oak, and Ash.

I know Eucalyptus is a scratch but I was curious just in general what you thought about the idea of these mixed bundles. I know it's adding a lot of extra variables but it would be quite a bit cheaper and easier than continuing to try and hunt down Oak.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• jpbouw
    replied

Thank for hour Nice comment. Of course i did but I need a full container load
    Thats why I posted this one

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Maybe if you had the internet you could have done your own search....?

Firewood - Stuff For Sale in Miami, FL - Claz.org

Sunshine Tree Trimming - Fire Wood Sale

Leave a comment:

• jpbouw
    replied

Hello can somebody help me. I have an Italian restaurant in Curacao, Dutch antilles and I buy my wood now in Holland, but is very expensive to ship to the caribbean. Does anybody knows a place in the Miami area where I can buy good wood for the oven.

Leave a comment:

• dimitrisbizakis
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Nothing is really burning in the vid, it must all be wet wood.
    Paoulovia can be air dryed in tree months.
    I guess it's just dont burn well.
    Anyway i planted some of them.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Nothing is really burning in the vid, it must all be wet wood.

Leave a comment:

• dimitrisbizakis
    replied

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
    They are fast growing softwood trees and more suited to pulp production than anything else. Some of the tree plantation companies are using them. Not what you need to fire your WFO. IMHO
    Are you talking from experience on you are just guessing?
    They are used on making pellets, i am just asking if someone has actualy burned pawlovia wood, i have seen this PAULOWNIA BURNING - but this is from a fireplace and i have send a pm on the uploader but i guess he doesn't speak English.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

They are fast growing softwood trees and more suited to pulp production than anything else. Some of the tree plantation companies are using them. Not what you need to fire your WFO. IMHO

Leave a comment:

• dimitrisbizakis
    replied

Originally posted by thickstrings View Post
    Dimitri, After looking on the net a few places, it basicly says, if its real dry, it burns like cedar...not sure of fumes, as I find no mention...but wet wood will smolder and stink. All you can do is try it. ..at least to just come up to heat...switch to the better stuff later.
    I am planning off planting thouse trees for firewood for heating and wood oven.

Leave a comment:

• thickstrings
    replied

Dimitri, After looking on the net a few places, it basicly says, if its real dry, it burns like cedar...not sure of fumes, as I find no mention...but wet wood will smolder and stink. All you can do is try it. ..at least to just come up to heat...switch to the better stuff later.

Leave a comment:

• jeeppiper
    replied

Spunkoid....I too only use one match. Liquid propane is a beautiful thing!

Leave a comment:

• dimitrisbizakis
    replied

Originally posted by thickstrings View Post
    Here ya go Dimitri, [Homestead] Paulownia elongata and another Can You Burn Paulownia? | eHow I have no personal experience with Paulownia.
    Thank you!
    I can't though spot the low BTU and smell anywhere on those articals.
    Seems the same readings is actually all over the net, I can't seem to find a personal opinion of a person that has actually burned paulownia.
    Last edited by dimitrisbizakis; 10-11-2013, 02:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• thickstrings
    replied

Here ya go Dimitri, [Homestead] Paulownia elongata and another Can You Burn Paulownia? | eHow I have no personal experience with Paulownia.
    Last edited by thickstrings; 10-10-2013, 04:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X