I hear next year a properly built oven in land of OZ will use no wood

Bill
    Yeah, all brick ovens will be solar.

Leave a comment:

• Polo
    replied
    Re: Choosing and finding wood

Originally posted by fremen325 View Post
    I am getting ready to take down a couple sweet gum trees. Anyone have any experience using sweet gum in their WFO? I didnt see any reference to them in some of the firewood links posted here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidambar_styraciflua
    Gum is listed as "fair" in this chart.

Firewood BTU Chart - Firewood Guide to BTU Ratings

......and "medium" in this one

http://thelograck.com/firewood_rating_chart.html

Leave a comment:

• thickstrings
    replied

Originally posted by fremen325 View Post
    I am getting ready to take down a couple sweet gum trees. Anyone have any experience using sweet gum in their WFO? I didnt see any reference to them in some of the firewood links posted here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidambar_styraciflua
    I hav'nt used it in my oven ...and I won't. What ever is in that wood stanks when you burn it and irritates my sinuses...It won't last to long in the firewood pile, as it gets "punkey". Burn some of it first and see. I personally think they are giant weeds..I can afford to be picky, as the drought of the last few years has left me with 7-8 large,various varieties of oak, standing dead...

Leave a comment:

• fremen325
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by TxTanner View Post

Bill
    Ouch!!, That may be true also here in the states if we don't get together before the next election...................................Expect no further comment from me on the subject .

Leave a comment:

• TxTanner
    replied

A properly built oven uses hardly any firewood.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Finding woods that impart flavor and making selection between them is the 'problem' - ovens are designed to retain heat for long periods so they actually require surprisingly little wood to get them to temperature.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Calviin_carl View Post
    The main problem is to cook these things that to find woods in huge quantity and start a fire for the oven....?
    A properly built oven uses hardly any firewood.

Leave a comment:

• Calviin_carl
    replied

The main problem is to cook these things that to find woods in huge quantity and start a fire for the oven....?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by thenoyd View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion on burning White Ash, Silver Maple or Mulberry? I have access to acres of these types of woods and wanted the communities opinion on burning them for pizza oven use. Thanks
    I am only familiar with mulberry, but a quick google search would suggest that they are all good .

Leave a comment:

• thenoyd
    replied

Does anyone have an opinion on burning White Ash, Silver Maple or Mulberry? I have access to acres of these types of woods and wanted the communities opinion on burning them for pizza oven use. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    I have copy/pasted this for you to read . Most folk make a fire like this at the entrance to the oven under the chimney and when it's underway push it into the oven. Regardless of which method if its works its good.
    regards dave
    Quote ..I have a very low tech and non accellerant fuel method to start any fire that I build, and I teach the method to all customers that I build masonry heaters and bakeovens for, and anyone that will listen.

We call it the Top down burn, and it is the cleanest burning (as in no clouds of smoke) method to get your appliance's firebox up to speed. Fire start up is typically the dirtiest part of a burn, untill it gets up to speed.

I start by laying the larger diameter pieces of properly dried and stored firewood side by side and parallel to the length of the firebox/oven. Then I add another layer of wood, the pieces smaller in diameter, and perpendicular to and across the top of the first course, sort of log cabin style. Keep the pieces of wood fairly close alongside each other.
    I continue adding layers of gradually smaller diameter pieces of wood, finishing it off on top with nice dry kindling. I bring home free scrap lumber from job sites and/or collect dry pine cones from my woods. You can even buy a bundle of low grade cedar shingles for pretty cheap at Home Cheapo.
    I then simply light the top.
    The fire starts small, and within about 10 minutes, assuming that you are using nice dry and properly dried and stored firewood, there is a fully involved fire going.
    The theory is that the wood ignites down the stack of wood when they are hot enough and ready to start to out-gassing.
    Just check out your chimney top with a typical start up with lots of newspaper , kindling or an accellerant. Very smoky! Try the top down burn and you will see virtually nothing but steam coming out the chimney.
    I have not used newspaper to start any fires (and I have 2 masonry heaters that I use every winter to heat my home and shop, one indoor bakeoven, and one outside pizza oven) in many years, and I have never used an accelerant, just well processed and stored firewood.
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 03-27-2013, 08:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• amadorj
    replied

Don't know if this is proper but I start a small fire using small pieces of Oak with newpaper underneath and as the logs burn into coals I slowly add larger pieces (quartered logs) on top and hit it with an old hair dryer (on low) and blow air on to establish the fire. Once this starts a nice bed of coals going then the fire burns very nicely. Just what works for me.
    -Jesse in ABQ

Leave a comment:

• stmbt_embers
    replied

Thanks for the suggestions. The wood I have didn't come split, but I'm in the process of splitting it, and it splits very easily. Yesterday, I did have luck with the fire, started it with a small fire starter, some smaller dry kindling I had behind the house, along with some oak kindling, and was able to build up the fire to burn 2 -3 inch diameter pieces. I have a torch as well to aid in the starting. Much better experience than the previous 2 days! Looking forward to another, hotter fire today, and hopefully my first round of pizzas saturday or sunday.

THanks again

Leave a comment:

• Bartondad
    replied

stmbt_embers,
    Also, you didn't mention whether the wood was cut. Oak is tough to burn in rounds if your fire isn't already very hot. Try chopping it up into small pieces, especially if you are trying to start the fire with it.
    Another option is to place your wood in the oven and use a propane tank with a "burner wand" attached. Instant fire, but let your oven heat up before cooking. This is a great option if you are having company for dinner and don't want to get sooty or nurture a fire for 2 hours before they arrive.
    Last edited by Bartondad; 05-24-2012, 09:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X