• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deejayoh
    replied
    Re: Choosing and finding wood

Originally posted by stmbt_embers View Post
    I have bought a cord of seasoned oak, nice stuff, but having a hard time getting it to burn (unless it is a quarter of an inch or less in diameter) at the beginning of the fire, and it seems to burn very slowly even 20 minutes into my fire, when I actually have some coals going..so I am looking into some other type of wood to start the fires with. I have access to some cottonwood, has anyone used that before? Also have access to a little crab apple tree wood. Any suggestions on a good wood to use during the starting process? thanks!
    Cottonwood is some of the worst wood you can get. Has half the BTU value of oak.

If your oak won't burn, it might not really be "seasoned". Suggest you get a moisture meter from Harbor Freight and check the water content. It may need to dry longer.

Leave a comment:

• stmbt_embers
    replied

I have bought a cord of seasoned oak, nice stuff, but having a hard time getting it to burn (unless it is a quarter of an inch or less in diameter) at the beginning of the fire, and it seems to burn very slowly even 20 minutes into my fire, when I actually have some coals going..so I am looking into some other type of wood to start the fires with. I have access to some cottonwood, has anyone used that before? Also have access to a little crab apple tree wood. Any suggestions on a good wood to use during the starting process? thanks!

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Aussie Pete View Post
    I put a lot of work into my sarcasm & you didnt even notice..
    You do realise that I am so poor that I cant afford to pay attention?

Leave a comment:

• Aussie Pete
    replied

I put a lot of work into my sarcasm & you didnt even notice..

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

i know AL.....i was takin the piss outta ya
    Good.... I feel better now.....

Leave a comment:

• Aussie Pete
    replied

i know AL.....i was takin the piss outta ya

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Pete I just pinched the link....... its not my site.... sorry.....

Leave a comment:

• Aussie Pete
    replied

nice Al, your detail in your presentation is second to none, beautiful use of color, & absolute stunning layout, you must have worked long & hard to put this all together, excellent work Al....your in the wrong trade buddy.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Here is my contribution.....

Native Tree Images Australia, Rainforest Tree Pictures NSW, QLD, VIC

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

nice dave, good stuff

I just had a thought, wouldn't it be good to have a section for pictures & descriptions of wood from various parts around the world, then people could have a look at pics of wood and match them to woods that would be good & others to stay away from.

there you are FB, my contribution to the forum is on me....lol

Ok people, start us off with some pics of woods (not me,cause i dont have any...yet)
    Great Idea , but i think it should be a sticky with sub threads or something set up like the Regional Forums. It would be easier to research your own area that way. Although, I personally think that most could benifit by being given the advice to search their own area on the web for hardwoods and or fruitwoods.
    Just Say'n.

Leave a comment:

• Aussie Pete
    replied

nice dave, good stuff

I just had a thought, wouldn't it be good to have a section for pictures & descriptions of wood from various parts around the world, then people could have a look at pics of wood and match them to woods that would be good & others to stay away from.

there you are FB, my contribution to the forum is on me....lol

Ok people, start us off with some pics of woods (not me,cause i dont have any...yet)

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Buddy
    Woods just ain't woods
    I'll just give a my southern (hemisphere) perspective.
    Pine....No "deal" or "red pine" here its radiata and burns alright if you have a ton of it that is. We do have Cyprus pine which contains an oil that most insects cant eat, its oil content makes it a geat fire lighter but the smell doesn't do the best for your cooking.
    Aussie hardwood ...grown though drought and flood, hard and long burning ...weather river red gum ...boxwood...tallow Mallee root etc a great burning wood...cause you don't need much and it imparts a good flavour to the food.
    Treated wood ...Yes lots of secound hand/salvage wood has been treated due to the termites in Australia....so you have to watch pallets, pine framing and fencing these days so you don't get a nasty flavour additive.
    Flood plains wood... never had a good experience with these paperbarks etc some don't even burn
    But my favourite is "Sheoak" a native that grows along water courses along the East Coast it makes a great long burning coal that has a great smell and I love it as a finishing wood to any cooking.

Regards Dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-01-2012, 04:47 AM. Reason: Forgot

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

1) Wet wood doesn't burn or at least doesn't burn very well.
    2) Fragrant woods will impart flavor but probably not if burned early in the heating process.
    3) If it's not poisonous and not wet, it will work either as fuel for the earliest burn or as fuel and maybe seasoning during or just before cooking.
    4) Creosote is an issue for cooking, but probably not for a white hot oven - the creosote should burn off. Ovens with rear chimneys are the only ones that might have a problem with build up (unless you put the fire under the front chimney). Pine flavored pizza is a bad idea...
    5) I'm buying a house!!!! (Oven of my own, here I come!.)
    6) James doesn't like me anymore...
    7) If I get the house I want, it has a mulberry tree!!!!!
    8) Yes, I'm easily distracted - how did you know?

Leave a comment:

• Aussie Pete
    replied

ok, i'll probably grab some of this wood, i will post some pics of it up & see if anyone can identify it & tell me if it'll be ok.
    pics to come....(stay tuned)

Leave a comment:

• heliman
    replied

As far as I know - most Aussie gums/eucalypts are fine to use but all have different "gum" content and burning properties. I use any "heavy" feeling wood I can find.

I actually made a mistake and grabbed some eucalypt from the verge that refused to burn. I put it in a 500 deg fire and left it there for 2 hours. It was charred but refused to burn. I had to put it in the dustbin...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X