X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windage
    replied
    Re: 52 inch mobile brick oven in moving van

oven light...using some concepts from my first oven light that I liked; ease of cleaning/changing bulb without disturbing anything. But on this one, I selected a higher location in the archway instead of low and at the side. I couldn't find my supply of leftover high temp stranded wire, so I cannibalized an old toaster oven for it's prizes!
    I like the results of the lighting and hopefully, this location won't be too sooty for too long while warming up.

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

walk-in cooler completed and door swinging nice, placed the window in the door so we could have good viewing of dough making area..

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

more progress on the walk in cooler, from tear down, clean up, and set up it went better than planned...the new condenser and evap were a surprise, the auction co didn't know they were brand new.

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

finally am cooking off most of the moisture in the perl-crete layer and temps are starting to come up..first pie baked in 6 minutes at 600 dome (see the black?) 500F floor temps...next at 800F dome and 600F floor in 4 minutes, the third at 1,000F dome and 800F floor...about 2 minutes, but had "stick to pan" issues on that one and over-baked the corcione....

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Originally posted by Mitchamus View Post
    Perhaps you could enclose the space above the oven for a dough proofing cabinet?

Should at least be little bit warmer than ambient there?
    it would be, but I "cold-proof" my dough overnight to make a slow rise flavor...was thinking of trying to get some of that heat to do water..several of us had that discussion during the build of the big oven..

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

more perl-crete on Sunday, kidos helped, working temp up as we burn off around 300 gallons of water held by the perlite...stinky and moist....the temps won't go up till the dome is dry...so I am drying and holding around 400F ish...dome still very black.
    Mitch, yes the flow of dough, pizza is towards the rear, the pizziaolo will stand on a platform out the rear, with his wood nearby

Leave a comment:

• Mitchamus
    replied

Perhaps you could enclose the space above the oven for a dough proofing cabinet?

Should at least be little bit warmer than ambient there?

Leave a comment:

• Mitchamus
    replied

Will those IBC's in the front of the van be your water tanks?

how does the prep bench tie in with the oven?
    it looks like the 'preper' will slide the pies to the left and out the back door to the pizzaiolo?? is that right?

Great idea to have the chef out the back - they'll have loads more 'elbow room'

no carrying wood through the kitchen either....

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

tonight put on 6 more bags (4cuft each) of mild strength perl-crete made with regular portland. As you can see, this project is all; under roof, close to the house (and beer) with music, good people and a special woman, it is turning out to be very fun. The pan rail will be cooled by ducting fan from walk in cooler
    Last edited by windage; 08-20-2014, 07:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

crush able layer of mineral wool on, surround done, first firing to check arch opening and preliminary flue placement...seems OK so far !

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Mitchamus; saw your build, like your choices there..I will study that style and see how it might hold up bouncing down the road..

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

framework will support outer girdle, which will contain the perl-crete.

Leave a comment:

• Mitchamus
    replied

Man - that is a serious stand!

I love your no-effing-around attitude.

pass the popcorn. Subscribed.

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

parging the dome with "Dura-fiber" in CA based cement