This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forno Bravo Door

Has anyone installed a port thru their door to stick a thermometer? Picture a 3-4mm SS tube thru the door with a threaded section sticking out so that you can screw threaded cap onto it.
    My build documentary page:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Neat idea. I haven't seen anything like this but am considering something similar. Instead of a threaded cap (I'm too lazy to put it back on each time I check temp) I was thinking about sliding a refractory magnet over the hole. They're good to 480F.

McMaster-Carr

Comment

John,
        I have seen magnets used on carbon steel smokers as easily adjustable intake air regulators. But, the magnet will not work on all ss. I'm not a metalurgist, so I had to go out to my shop and check. It seems that the magnet will work an extra piece of ss flu that I have. But, not on the ss drops that I picked up to make tools and possibly another door .
        Last edited by Gulf; 01-11-2014, 09:33 AM.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

310 and 316 SS are typically non magnetic, 304 may be more prone to being magnetic if cold worked, ie bending or shaping. My two cents worth.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Careful with 304, it may rust or discolor
            My build documentary page:
            https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Um, my bad. I didn't catch that your door is SS. I went with steel because the fabrication shop said SS will warp easier than steel.

Comment

Yes it does, but on the other hand mild steel corrodes and is way more thermally conductive.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                  Yes it does, but on the other hand mild steel corrodes and is way more thermally conductive.
                  There is no reason that the door has to be the same metal front and back. Since most doors are two pieces anyway, put the mild steel to the oven side and the ss to the outside.

Just sayin'
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Yes it does, but on the other hand mild steel corrodes and is way more thermally conductive
                    Hmmmm. WishI knew that before ordering my door. Thanks for the info. I'm wondering how effective a one-piece (3'16" SS) door would be, with an insulating 'jacket' (ceramic fiber) sewn into a hemispherical 2"-thick pad using welder's blanket?

Comment

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
                      Has anyone installed a port thru their door to stick a thermometer? Picture a 3-4mm SS tube thru the door with a threaded section sticking out so that you can screw threaded cap onto it.
                      I haven't built my WFO yet but are going to have 2 stainless steel tubes in through the brick work so I can put a K type thermo couple. to measure the temp inside at 2 different points
                      maybe I will try the door idea as well. Thanking you for the idea

Comment

Working...
                      X