No announcement yet.

Free-standing roof design help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Free-standing roof design help needed.

Darin,
    Once you have your vcrete dome shaped to your liking, it is time to prepare for the stucco. I like using 1/2" mesh wire for support.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00421_zps5a42cbb2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	306082

Some don't.

If you think that this what you want, I will step you through how I applied the wire. But, for now, here is how I applied stucco. I am copying this from another post that I made.

"Get some some acrylic concrete fortifier. It is also a good bonding agent. Paint it on with a brush, and go to work before it dries.

I used a 12" short handle sheetrock seam (taping knife) trowel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10-inch-taping-knife.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	305067

It has a slight curve built in to it. It will take a little pratice to figure how much stucco to load on to the trowel. Forget the handle, grab it by the ends. Start at the bottom and apply in a vertical motion. It will apply about 3/8" to 1/4 " for about 16 to 18 inches verticaly. Go all the way around the dome overlapping the runs about a couple of inches. Now go back to where you started. If it has dried out, you will need to apply some more fortifier by brush. Overlap the bottom run by about 4". Each horizontal run gets shorter (and faster) as you go up the dome towards the apex.

If after completing one complete layer you decide to stop for lunch, or the day: (before doing so) Take a course sponge and wet it in a bucket. Wring it out and start at the bottom in the driest areas. Wet a small area with the sponge. Use circular motions to knock down the high spots and fill up the low spots. Rewet the spong and repeat until you have covered the entire dome.

Before applying another layer, apply another coat of fortifier.

It takes 3 to 4 applications of stucco to get 3/4 to 1" of thickness on the dome. But each coat is much quicker than the one before.

This method will add and lock in water to your oven's insulation. I very much advise installing a vent at the apex of your dome. At least temporarily."
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Re: Free-standing roof design help needed.

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
      That is why Gulf's oven is deemed the "Queen". BTW Gulf, how did your SM do this year. Mine are just about done, I think one more batch and now harvesting seeds for 2015.
      Thanks, very much, Russell.

But, she is deemed the "queen" because an Irish friend of ours likes "American" rock and roll .
      The maters did pretty good this year. Though, I did find them to have a short growing season. At least, in the long hot Mississippi summers . If you remember, I got a late start last year. So, I did not know just how long that growing season was. Also, I had some interruptions in watering. That is a critical mistake down here. Next year, I will try soaker hoses, buried underneath the plants. I did have some unexpected results from some that I planted without staking. These plants hugged the ground and started new root systems. They produced longer than any of the others that I spent special time with. They are the seeds for next year .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
      X