Framing Nearly Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Framing Nearly Complete

You'd never know from the pics that you are novice framer.

Thanks for the pointers! This will be my first project with metal studs as well. Are you using steel or are they aluminum (or are they the same thing)? I've seen references to both in other places online. Which should we be using for this?
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

They call them steel (used 20 gauge) but they more resemble aluminum to me. Just can't wait to put the roof on as I am getting tired of all the small cuts.

Comment

I like the lower profile of your roof. What are you going to use for your roof?
        KC

Comment

Real Mexican clay tile like James is doing.

Comment

I need to find a dealer here in Colorado. Freight would kill me.

Comment

Looking good you should call around to roofing companies in your area and see if they have some remnants. I have been collecting from several in my area for a couple of years now..almost there...I have been getting real used U's in all different shades its gonna look awesome. If you haven't already done so its worth a shot alot of those guys have pallets of partials stuff that has been sitting for years.

James-
              I'm sure you probably checked,or you contractor made sure, but just in case I should mention that clay or even light weight concrete tiles require that the roof rafters be able to handle the additional weight. If you already had concrete on there then you are good if not you may have to retro in order to meet the increased weight demand.. just a thought.
              http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

There is a tile company near me that specializes in reclaimed roof tiles.

When I was considering roof tiles I walked around their yard - they had some good deals on odd lots of qty that would roof an oven....

Architectural salavage yards may be a place to check as well.

christo
                My oven progress -
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                sigpic

Comment

Uno has an excellent point about the roof trusses. A home or structure designed and built for a shingle roof will not support roof tiles.
                  Knowing quite a few contractors in various trades (I sell tools), I started looking into my options for roof replacement (I'm hopefully still a few years away from needing a roof). My current truss system (my home was built with shingles) would never support tile, I'm looking at an additional $40K - 50K to have all of my trusses replaced and/or supported.

even on a small structure like an oven the weight could be too much over time.....beef up the structure if your using tile.

RT

Comment

Good to know info. Thanks, I'll sister the rafters and add more braceing. How much weight would clay tiles be for a roof that is 64 sq ft?

Comment

800-1010- lbs per sq is what I found. the lower number being for "S" style. So what you are looking at between 512-640 lbs and thats just the tile don't forget the wood, paper, cement,ect..pretty heavy...but beautiful

Comment

Hi:

I'm thinking ahead here as I am still working on the dome. I want to use metal studs and do a terracota roof as well. However, everything I have been reading states that metal studs aren't structural. Seems to be based upon this the studs are not enough by themselves to support the roof. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Julian

Comment

Originally posted by Gentcpa View Post
                          Hi:

However, everything I have been reading states that metal studs aren't structural. Seems to be based upon this the studs are not enough by themselves to support the roof. Any thoughts on this?
                          Julian
                          Hi,

I don't know what you have been reading but its WRONG. There are 2 types of metal studs available at home centers load bearing and non load bearing. Anything you can build out of wood (in this regard) you can build with the metal. Many on here have built enclosures with metal studs, they will more than hold the roof weight, even with tile. When working with them it appears they are not strong but keep in mind these are an "engineered" product that has been in use commercially for decades.

Comment

For those concerned about tile roof weight there is an option.
                            Gerard makes metal roofing tiles that look just like tiles, but without the weight. I was going to use it on my house, but had to trim the budget,then I was going to use them on my oven, but the HOA shot me down. Darn.

Barrel Vault Roof Photo Gallery
                            Wade Lively

Comment

I beefed up the rafters and I think I will be fine. Thanks all for the suggestions.
                              KC

Comment

KC,

It's a matter of gauge. I've been looking into this recently. Load bearing walls are normally 20 gauge. The supplier here recommends 18 gauge, a bit heavier, for the kind of thing we're doing. You might want to look into that. Not that anyone, me included, on this forum overbuilds anything .

Jim
                                "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Working...
                                X