Framing Nearly Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Framing Nearly Complete

I used 20 gauge steel. I ended up sistering the rafters and made a truss supports. I think I can put about anything up there now.

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
      KC,
      We found two alternatives. One is US Clay Tile, which makes U and S shaped Spanish style tiles. These are widely available and reliable, but look a little bit modern. The other is to find an importer of Mexican-made tiles. We found an importer in Monterey and a roofer, both of whom have access to these tiles. They look more rustic and handmade.
      James
      James,

Any info on your importer of the Mexican clay tiles. We just finished the scratch coat and ready to move on to the roof. Like you would really like to give the enclosure a more rustic look.

Comment

First things first. This is NOT our house. :-)

Here is a photo of installed Mexican tile. It's very rustic, with both color and shape variation. I think it looks more Provence than Spain, and I really like it. Of course the importer here does not want to disclose his source, but he will sell to FB as a wholesaler. Which means we could take orders at the retail price, and drop ship to FB customers.

Is thing something worth considering? My impression is that the cost of the materials is very reasonable, so we might be able to land it at oven builder sites at a good price.

Let me know what everyone thinks.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,
          Are the tiles "s" or "U" shaped? How much per tile are we talking about? Freight to Colorado Springs?
          KC

Comment

They are U, which looks a lot better than the lightweight S.

Can you calculate square feet and let me know. I will contact the company, get the material cost, plus size and weight, so we can get a landed cost. Let's see where this goes. If we can't do it, I will make sure we figure out who would be best.

James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

I have roughly 60 sq feet of roof. When you get a chance, I am interested in obtaining some of the tiles. I live in Roseville which is near Sacramento and would really like ot know what my cost would be to have the tiles dropped shipped to my home. Are there color choices? I don't want a real deep red, more of a earth tone or terra cotta. Thanks for all your assistance!

Comment

I would also need ~60sft.

Comment

It's starting to sound like a Pizza Oven Roof Kit. :-) The tiles are 6 lbs per square foot, which should not stress any outdoor kitchen enclosure.

More to come.
                  James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Wow, at 6 lbs a ft, we are only talking ~ 400 lbs including battens. I'm liking the sound of that!

Comment

Yep. We had a weight issue, where we had to match our existing roof tile weight for our re-roofing permit. Either that or completely rebuild the house.

I like the look as well.
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Something to add here. A friend built his kitchen island out of metal studs and said lots of finger cuts occur, can't be avoided. If this happens, superglue the cut, and the finger is good as new. Glue eventually comes off. Also, if you go on hikes and a blister happens to short in the trail, pop the blister, superglue it, and back to the trail. Wierd info huh?
                        An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

I'll try the superglue, I usually use the duct tape.

Comment

If there is one thing I will not miss is working with the metal studs and all the nicks and cuts!!

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                              They are U, which looks a lot better than the lightweight S.

Can you calculate square feet and let me know. I will contact the company, get the material cost, plus size and weight, so we can get a landed cost. Let's see where this goes. If we can't do it, I will make sure we figure out who would be best.

James

James ,

Sorry to be a nuisance, but any luck on the roof tiles. I am getting ready to lay down the plywood this weekend and really looking forward if possible in obtaining the clay tiles and finishing that part of the project. Please let me know any information so I can plan accordingly. If I have to wait no problem as I will lay down the felt and that should keep everything water tight. Thanks.

Comment

Sorry this is taking a while, but it is something new to us. I have asked the questions and we are working out the details. We'll get there,
                                James
                                Pizza Ovens
                                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                                X