Framing Nearly Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Enclosure update

I finally finished the Hardiboard. Followed up with thin-setting the seams and screw heads. The wiring is roughed in for 2 lights in the front and one on each side. I add 3 more bags (12 cf) of perlite over the dome and pit stack.

The top of the cap is 9 foot off the ground.

Next is stucco. I'll start adding the lathe this weekend and hopefully have the scratch coat done too.

First fire is set for the 13th. 30 days after the keystone brick was laid. Morter should be fully dried.

Comment

Re: Framing Nearly Complete

KC, I believe you mentioned earlier in the thread that the cinder block on its side was for wiring for lighting? If that was so, why not along bottom area of the wall? Wouldn't this simplify things for lighting? That, or what is the plan?
      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

KC,

Your enclosure looks really nice! I really like the lighting ideas. Can't wait to see more.
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I laid that block on its side for wiring mostly because I've never done any masonry work before and didn't know what I was doing. I should of laid the conduit before the foundation concrete pour. That way all I would have to do was to snake the wire straight into the storage area. That block and the one on the other side will be covered by counters. Grill on one side and a Carolina Pit on the other side. I used the other side's opening for the smoker's chimney that is already incorporated into the oven's.

Comment

KC, I take it you have wiring leading from where the lights are to be, down to within the base (wood area)? If so, why not take a conduit to the back side bottom of the wall, drill a hole into a non conspicuous area, and have the wire meet that way? It is looking very nice.
            An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

KC,

Looking good!!!! I am just a bit ahead of you, but are structures look almost identical. My scratch coat is done and I just finished the roof, except the tiles (still waiting for Jim and the supplier). The only thing I did different is I used plywood for my roof instead of hardibacker. I debated back in forth but ultimately went with the plywood with the foil lining on one side. Why did you settle with the hardibacker? I sure hope I will be okay with the plywood. There really is no heat escaping so I should be fine.

Comment

Hi KC,
                is there a specific name for those studs you are using for framing? thanks Carlo
                Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

I used the Haribacker for the roof for the "just in case" factor. Not much difference in price, so I figured, why not. I'm going to a tile "boneyard" today and looking at some tiles. We'll see what happens.

I don't know what the name of the metal studs are, but I got them @ Lowe's. I know some HD's also carry them. There are a couple of different sizes. I used the 25 gauge. Easy to cut with snips or a grinder. Use "track" for the plates and stud every where else. The studs will have holes cut in them already for wiring.

Comment

Wish I had thought about the wiring before I poured concrete. It actually never occured to me to put any lighting on the structure until I saw some finished pictures. Now just one more thing to figure out. I will most likely use low voltage lights like the rest of the deck.

The structure looks great by the way. Pretty much exactly what I want to do. I am planning on brick for the lower section and stucco for the house with a terracota roof.

Comment

I found some roof tiles yesterday at a roofing "boneyard". The tiles were salvaged from The Broadmoor, a local historic grand hotel. The tiles are ~ 75 years old and have weathered beautifully. They even have some lichen on some of the tiles. I was able to get the tiles, bird stop, ridge and rack tiles. They were a little pricy, but I think they will work nicely.

KC

Comment

Originally posted by biondoli View Post
                        Hi KC,
                        is there a specific name for those studs you are using for framing? thanks Carlo
                        Carlo,

No specific name....just metal studs. The ones you find at retail centers are usually 25 gauge, but I would recommend at least 20 gauge which will provide better strength, especially when it comes to roof support. You will need to go to a wholesaler of drywall supplies or there is a company here locally (Scafco) who sells nothing but metal studs.

Comment

Re: Scratch coat

Scratch coat added and curing fires complete! Baked bread, brisket and short ribs. Fantastic!

Comment

KC, congratulations, it looks fantastic and the food too! Great job, ciao Carlo
                            Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Hey KC,
                              Congrats on the oven. It looks great! So do the ribs and the breads! And the little sweetheart looks like your daughter, yes? Good food and spending time with family and friends! That's what it's all about man!!
                              Best to ya,
                              Rick
                              View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

Working...
                              X