Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chimney Size and Design

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • UtahBeehiver
    replied
    What is the ID of the oven and the ID of the chimney?

    Leave a comment:


  • Solaris1965
    replied
    Hi there Icripe.I've just been reading your post about extending the height of your chimney, nice build! I too have too much smoke coming out the front and have remade the flue to give a big box entry, rather than a simple hole going into the chimney.If you could clarify something I'd be really grateful.

    To get your chimney to draw better, was it just a case of extending the height, or did you do anything else? My chimney is quite short and I was thinking a higher one may help.

    Here's a pic



    Many thanks
    Dave

    Leave a comment:


  • lcripe
    replied
    Re: Chimney Size and Design

    Originally posted by Eli Rogosa View Post
    Does any have thoughts on placing the chimney on the BACK BOTTOM of the oven?
    Wouldn't this vent the cooler air to maintain more heat in the oven??
    Eli Rogosa
    Yes. Don't!

    I think if you check postings here in the forum and do some study you will find that it won't work. Go with the tried and proven.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tscarborough
    replied
    Re: Chimney Size and Design

    10% of the door opening. If your door is 18x18 (324 SqIn), for example, then your flue should be 32.4 SqIn, i.e. 6x6 ID. Fudge on the side of over sized, and realize that that calculation is technically for round flues.
    Last edited by Tscarborough; 01-30-2011, 02:33 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • sonomacast
    replied
    Re: Chimney Size and Design

    Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    The rule of thumb when building an open fireplace is, flue size should be 10% or more than opening size
    I don't understand this, The flu should be 10% or more than what? thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • lwood
    replied
    Re: Chimney Size and Design

    MOFO, what is the diameter of your chimney?

    Leave a comment:


  • BackyardPermaculture
    replied
    Re: Chimney Size and Design

    DJ,
    It can also be the wood you are burning. I used some (untreated) softwood offcuts that smoked like crazy, even in a top-down fire. Despite my 6" (6' tall) flue drawing very well, that smoke came pouring out the front. As the oven has dried right up and I'm using decent hardwood and stacking a good top-lit fire, almost no smoke comes out the front.
    Cheers,
    Mick

    Leave a comment:


  • david s
    replied
    Re: Chimney Size and Design

    DJ,
    Post some pics. It might not be just the flue size. Is your door height correct relative to the interioe height? You also need some volume below the flue pipe so the smoke funnels up. Also if your oven is new it will smoke a fair bit because it is still moist and does not fire efficiently. If this is so then maybe you just need to fire it lots and your problem may disappear.
    Dave

    Leave a comment:


  • canadianmofo
    replied
    Re: Chimney Size and Design

    Hi. New here. Love the site!

    I have a design flaw and am trying to resolve a smoke issue (comes out the front).

    I have a rectangle burning/cooking surface approx. 100cm x 70cm. The chimney is obviously too small. Any suggestions on chimney size? From what I'm reading, I'm guessing either 6" or 8" would be sufficient. I need to cut my way in to expand the size.

    thanks.
    - dj

    Leave a comment:


  • david s
    replied
    Re: Chimney Size and Design

    That is a really good idea, but you will need around 2% by weight. Thatis a lot of staples. Hope you've got a good office budget.

    Leave a comment:


  • fxpose
    replied
    Re: Chimney Size and Design

    Originally posted by dmun View Post
    Stainless needles are the reinforcement of choice.
    I can't seem to find stainless needles locally.....but I have plenty of stainless steel staples for the standard office stapler. Perhaps I can unload a few hundred of those instead.

    George

    Leave a comment:


  • fxpose
    replied
    Re: Chimney Size and Design

    Thanks David, that's exactly what I imagined could happen. I will give it some wiggle room for expansion.

    George

    Leave a comment:


  • david s
    replied
    Re: Chimney Size and Design

    George,
    If you cast directly against the flue pipe it will get hot first and expand and perhaps cause the castable to crack. This happened to the second oven I built. You can wrap some cardboard around the pipe when you cast it, remove the cardboard and pipe, then reinsert the pipe and fill around it with vermicrete. It is better for the flue to bea slightly loose fit to reduce stress on your casting.

    Leave a comment:


  • fxpose
    replied
    Re: Chimney Size and Design

    Originally posted by dmun View Post
    I don't think rebar is used in refractory castable. Stainless needles are the reinforcement of choice.
    I kinda figured that as I have not seen rebars used in any of the cast oven builds.
    Are stainless needles commonly available? I've seen them on Ebay before.

    George

    Leave a comment:


  • dmun
    replied
    Re: Chimney Size and Design

    I don't think rebar is used in refractory castable. Stainless needles are the reinforcement of choice.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X