Ceramic Fiber Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic Fiber Board

Has anyone ever used 3"Ceramic Fiber Board for insulation under your cooking floor Instead 2” Ceramic Fiber Board?
    Last edited by morrishuckeba; 05-18-2010, 12:52 PM.

Re: Ceramic Fiber Board

I used three 1" layers of InsBlock 19. Others here have used ceramic based boards as well. 1", 2", 3", it's all the same basic idea. I believe insulation is fairly linear (2" is twice as good as 1", etc.).

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
    Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Fibre board is a lot less dense, but far inferior in structual strength.

Comment

does anyone know what i can put in between my ceramic board and firebricks? can i just use a normal refractory mortar?

Comment

You mean the oven floor? I didn't put anything between them. The bricks went straight down on the board.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
          Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Yes, one of the advantages of using insulating board is that it's flat. You can put your bricks right down on it, as I did. Mortaring the floor down is not considered a good idea.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Ok thanks! i will make sure i cut them well so it fits together tight so they dont get gaps in between them.

Comment

FBX insulation board

I bought some 2" FBX Insulation Board today from a refractory company. They told me to cut it with a butcher knife

QUESTION IS: How much weight can this material support? Should I use it for the floor bricks only and NOT the first chain?

A picture would help my understand here....

I apologize if it looks like I'm hyjacking your thread morrishuckeba
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: FBX insulation board

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
                  QUESTION IS: How much weight can this material support? Should I use it for the floor bricks only and NOT the first chain?
                  Whether you place the first chain on the floor or surrounding the floor, the ceramic board should be underneath the entire floor/dome wall assembly, regardless. The board has tremendous compressive strength.
                  George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
                    Whether you place the first chain on the floor or surrounding the floor, the ceramic board should be underneath the entire floor/dome wall assembly, regardless. The board has tremendous compressive strength.
                    OK fxpose (George), let me run this by you and see if I really understand, OK?
                    The board can take the weight of the oven floor AND the dome, yes....?
                    (It seems very lightweight to do that). Do you put the dome directly on the board, or do you use a layer of sand and fireclay, or perhaps, some home brew?

Thanks for clarification
                    Last edited by Lburou; 12-13-2010, 06:13 PM.
                    Lee B.
                    DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
                      OK fxpose (George), let me run this by you and see if I really understand, OK?
                      The board can take the weight of the oven floor AND the dome, yes....?
                      (It seems very lightweight to do that). Do you put the dome directly on the board, or do you use a layer of sand and fireclay, or perhaps, some home brew?

Thanks for clarification
                      Yes, everything sits on the board, as you can see from this photo.
                      The firebricks sit directly on the board, and nothing in between (no fillers) as long as the board surface is nice and even.
                      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
                        Yes, everything sits on the board, as you can see from this photo.
                        The firebricks sit directly on the board, and nothing in between (no fillers) as long as the board surface is nice and even.
                        Thanks!
                        Lee B.
                        DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Usually the board is flat enough to put the brick floor directly on the insulation board without any leveling medium. If one brick is a bit low you can supplement it with a bit of brick cutting slurry or fireclay.

Whether to build the dome on top of the floor bricks, or cut the floor bricks to fit inside the dome is entirely builders choice. I built my dome on the floor to avoid a few fussy cuts, and to distribute the weight a little more widely.

And yes, the board is strong enough to support your entire assembly. In my case I have two stories of heavy flue tiles piled on top of my entry, and there's no discernible settling. Remember: insulation boards are very crush resistant. They build entire buildings on top of a type of insulation board.
                          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                            snip....And yes, the board is strong enough to support your entire assembly. In my case I have two stories of heavy flue tiles piled on top of my entry, and there's no discernible settling. Remember: insulation boards are very crush resistant. They build entire buildings on top of a type of insulation board.
                            That is what I was concerned about, thank you for giving me confidence.....That board feels light and delicate. I'm still gathering materials. Delayed also by freezing temperatures.
                            Lee B.
                            DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

good morning lburou, i set a full brick soldier course on 2" and then put another 1" inside the circle before i laid the floor. i had a couple of floor bricks that i leveled with just a little bit of loose fire clay... and i did that after i was finished with the entire build.

Comment

Working...
                              X