Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven number two..

Hi Brickie,

Like the way this second oven is heading, I would like to have another go one day myself, I think we all would do things abit different given a second chance.

I was hoping you might be able to tell me if we Victorians are allowed to lite up our ovens on a total fire ban day?? I see your from the Kinglake area & I thought you might know given the bushfires you guys went through acouple of years back. I'm just down the road (150km) @ Shepparton.

Regards.

Comment

Im pretty sure you cant light them on a total fire ban day, who would want to anyway as Im sure it would be just too hot outside.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hmm.. you never herd of a pool party??

Comment

Am thinking about my next oven also... How does the elliptical oven shape work for you? Would have thought the ellipse would have been the other direction. Also, nice roisterer. Been looking at =>HomePage : BrikiWiki the home of online brickwork.
          Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Its been a while since any update, life has got in the way of me playing unfortunately.

Im still cutting the stone for the oven outer shell and have almost enough cut.
            Id like to make sure I have enough stone cut before I start just in case I have to blend the stone so as to not end up with different colour patches.

I set this weekend aside to cut more but they are predicting serious rain from a left over cyclone that is drifting in from Western Australia.

Next Saturday is out as Ive got a 3 hour date with a Dentist for some cosmetic work.

I hate it when life gets in the way of play time......

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The rain came over night so I was able to complete the stone cutting today.
              Im all set to get a start on building it tomorrow..

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Ive had more time to play.
                This after 5 hours.

I think I need more stone...

My Build.

Books.

Comment

A few more brickie. Are you still building an elliptical shaped oven?
                  Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Originally posted by lwood View Post
                    A few more brickie. Are you still building an elliptical shaped oven?
                    I still am going to build a very low roofed barrel type-ish at this stage, but it could all change...

And I think will need some more rock too.

At the 7 hour stage and when I knocked off for the day.
                    I am putting a course of bricks around the top to finish it off.
                    The top is the height of the concrete slab, Ive allowed for some shoulders on both sides at slab height so I can put stuff, like, beer for example.

One side and the front are complete and Ive started down the other side, there is nothing on the back as it backs onto the shed.
                    Last edited by brickie in oz; 02-19-2011, 09:17 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Will look impressive once it's all cleaned up. Nice work I'm watching with interest.

Comment

Oscar as you know there is an abundance of Bluestone in Melbourne and very cheap.
                        Try buying sandstone in Sydney they want $20 per piece as against $4 a piece for Bluestone in Melbourne.

Ive gone for the brushed weathered look, Ive brushed it 4 or 5 times already but it wont come to life until I acid wash it.

The bricklayer comes out in me on the 6th course right hand side in the Brushed2 pic, I just cant help it.

With random stone you are not to supposed to get repetitive.

As you can see Ive chucked a few blue burnt bricks into the mix just to be different. (not the quoins (corners))
                        Last edited by brickie in oz; 02-19-2011, 11:45 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Very nice I like all the different size blocks with bricks mixed in.
                          Wish I had the artistic flare (and skill) to try something like that. At this stage I'm just going to add some color and render my base.

Comment

Thats coming along nicely B in Oz.

Comment

I gave the base a quick dilute wash this arvo I know its really to soon seeing as I only laid them yesterday but I wanted to see if Id got the colours right.
                              I think I did..

The bricks I put in the wall really blend in well and the quoins stand out well too.
                              Last edited by brickie in oz; 02-20-2011, 09:52 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Looking really nice. Isn't it annoying to have to do all that work just to get to floor level, when you're itching to get into the build proper.
                                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X