X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brickie in oz
    replied
    Re: Oven number two..

I started the cure today, I didnt use a mild fire as Ive used very little water to build the oven.

Yet the oven felt humid and never got above 170c, the top of the oven where I used some left over castable was very wet and you could feel the moisture coming out of it.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Some more pics.
    The chimney draws so well Im wondering how Im going to keep the toppings on the pizzas?

Hopefully the way Ive set the tin on top of the chimney will stop the roof from burning..
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-17-2011, 06:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny the oven man
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Some more pics.
    I wore my space helmet to handle the ceramic blanket, its horrid stuff, even after washing I feel all itchy, Id hate to get into my lungs.
    HTFU alan.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Looking great, you're on the home stretch now.

Leave a comment:

• stoveup
    replied

Lookin' good Brickie! Your oven will be gorgeous - just as I expected!

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Some more pics.
    I wore my space helmet to handle the ceramic blanket, its horrid stuff, even after washing I feel all itchy, Id hate to get into my lungs.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-12-2011, 08:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

I did some more today, I was hoping to work on it tomorrow as its a holiday but I have to work..

You can see the gable set out, just follow the string with the masonry.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

After a scary morning at the dentist I had time to play this arvo.
    I have got one side wall to height and part of the front.

Im going to put ceramic blanket around and over the oven and fill the 150mm /6" cavity and over the oven with loose vermiculite.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Very nice entry arch!

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by waynespizzaworld View Post
    So my question to you is if I went with a brick that is not a fire brick should I stay with the same high heat mortar that I have been using for the rest of the build?
    My last oven was just plain building bricks and normal mortar on the front, it got hot because of no thermal beak but stood up ok.

A picture of my old oven which is now inside the new oven Russian doll style.

The new ovens front will be rock and brick with normal mortar with a thermal beak, there will be a thermal beak in the chimney just below the damper I intend to put in.
    The damper will be made from thermal fire bricks so it should all work.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-11-2011, 10:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• waynespizzaworld
    replied

Very nice look to the arch with the tapered cuts. I will be fashioning my oven entrance with the same look as yours. On my first oven I just keep on using the firebrick and the same mortar right up to the very front of oven as I was comfortable with the mortar and the bricks I was using. Seeing yours I like the contrast and would like to go with a building brick (if that is what its called, I realize its not a fire brick up front) but on my last oven the very front still gets a bit heated and smoked up. So my question to you is if I went with a brick that is not a fire brick should I stay with the same high heat mortar that I have been using for the rest of the build?
    By the way, my buddies rock shear worked like a champ and made nice work of the brick and granite tests we did last night. Seeing your brick shear or what ever its called on your web site inspired us to use this rig for cutting all our dome bricks in half. Will be quicker and quieter............thanks again Wayne

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Karangi Dude
    is your flue inside the the oven?
    Correct, Im going to put a damper in the flue like the old oven had, a bit of heat is lost this way but not a lot.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

The front arch, Ive always wanted to build a gauged arch but have never had the chance.
    The arch bricks are squints.
    All bricks are cut on both faces to get the desired look of a parallel joint rather than the normal modern wedged joint.

I made the same mistake I always make when making the arch profile, I make the bottom of the profile level and parallel, it should be the top the working face, hence the wall ties for wedges.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-10-2011, 12:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

This steel lintel will carry the chimney load and take the strain off the oven roof.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

I did more work on the oven today as it was raining in Melbourne, work was interrupted when a couple of brickie mates dropped in for a cuppa and chat.

Here is the hopefully thermal break between the oven and outer skin.

I also added some more Thermal mass to the roof of the oven in the form of some castable I had left over from the last oven.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X