Oven number two..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Oven number two..

I have just clocked the chimney above the insulating fire bricks and it is just a few degrees above ambient so it would seem that the thermal break works well..

I forgot to add that the oven is sitting at 250c this morning from doing pork spare ribs last night.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 04-22-2011, 03:23 PM. Reason: Forgot
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I managed to melt some ceramic rope that is silasticed to the fire brick reveal with the firing for last nights pizzafest.
      The silastic is fine.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

That's one hot oven you have there brickie.

Comment

I could smell something getting hot last night, I never imagined it to be the ceramic rope..

I now think its fiberglass rope.
          That could explain things.
          Last edited by brickie in oz; 04-23-2011, 09:25 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

hi i live in adelaide i m in the process of building my first oven its hard finding materials i m thinking of using hebel panels as an insulator to build the dome over it trying to get some direction

Comment

Youll get more replies if you start your own thread as there a few oven builders who live in SA.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Brickie,

Its getting cold in sydney over night so i am hoping that is one of my performance issues.

You mentioned before that you get around 250Deg C the morning after?

Questions;
                1) Was that with or without an insulated door?
                2) Whats your current morning temps?

I've put in insulation but only got 130Deg C,, but maybe thinking i need to keep driving out water.

Cheers,

Gummz

Comment

We lit the oven on Sunday to do a roast so not a roaring pizza fire ,yesterday morning it was still 250.
                  This morning its 125, and the ambient is 6 .

I always try to put the door on to retain the heat.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks for the speedy reply Brickie,

Do you have any picks of your oven door build?

Cheers,

Gummz

Comment

Originally posted by gummz View Post
                      Do you have any picks of your oven door build?

Here.
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...oor-15671.html

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Going through some old pics on my computer and I came across this one, its one of the first schools ever built in Ballarat at the time of the goldrush.

Looks like my oven.

I knew I was influenced by something.

Spot the difference....
                        Last edited by brickie in oz; 07-21-2011, 08:09 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                          If the temp were 100 degrees with a stiff wind, you might want to wet the brick, but short of that there is need or reason to ever soak (soak being immerse and leave for a period of time) brick.

The reason masonry specifications are written as they are is to allow for a wide latitude in how the mortar is mixed. Adjust the mortar, not the bricks.
                          Thankfully there are not alot of bricks that require this sort of wetting. I'd say the worst I had (only a mildly warm day of 30dg C) was a new brick which was a clinker style, it was so porous I had to have a hose running on the stack along the entire side of the house. The main reason was I could only spread enough mortar to lay one of two bricks, as it was sucking up all the moisture in the mortar before I had a chance, probably about 10-15 seconds and it was firm!
                          On the other hand I've used glazed bricks that have taken 24hrs to even look like starting to harden (cooler weather). Lay 12-15 courses and I'd have to leave it until at least the next day to lay any higher!

I always soak fire bricks for about 5 to 10 seconds in a bucket prior to laying, for the simple fact that it gives me another 10 seconds to tap the brick to exactly where I need it. I've never had any issues curing the oven after using this method.
                          Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

hi could anyone please help me find pizza oven floor/stone for my homemade wood pizza oven

Comment

Originally posted by OzOvenBuilder View Post
                              it gives me another 10 seconds to tap the brick to exactly where I need it. I've never had any issues curing the oven after using this method.
                              Tapping any brick into place is bad practice and shouldnt be needed if you make your mortar right.

It takes practice but the brick should be gently coaxed into place, zen like, once you get the hang of it you can increase the speed of laying.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by jevola View Post
                                hi could anyone please help me find pizza oven floor/stone for my homemade wood pizza oven
                                You would be better off starting your own thread as more ppl will see it.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X