• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home Brew

Thanks, Tscarborough

Comment

Do I want to use Masonry Cement Type S or Portland Cement under the oven floor? I see the mixture varies from 1-6 to 1-8. Which is better? I plan on 5.5 inches of insulation under the oven floor.

Comment

Either will work, portland is slightly better. I like 1-8 under the floor, 1-6 over the top.

Comment

I could eventually find a claimed hydrated lime. But it comes in massive quantities that it is not packed in bags to make sure what this material is, but rather sold per kilo. Something makes me doubt it is hydrated lime: The available quick lime is 50% more expensive than it! That is not logical is it? This material must be crushed limestone or it wouldn't be cheaper than quick lime.
          I'm thinking of slaking quick lime instead. What do you think?
          Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
          I forgot who said that.

Comment

Slake the quick lime, that is optimal.

Comment

Thanks Tom. Should have done that long time ago.
              I forgot who said that.

Comment

I'm tempted to use crushed basalt instead of sand in my homebrew as it was the material used in ovens built by old timers grannies. Moreover. I found Wiley's steel oven clad with cement fondue and crushed basalt. Is it the structural strength what makes this material used or its heat retention?
                I forgot who said that.

Comment

It is it's thermal stability.

Comment

Hey all! I'm having a very hard time finding hydrated lime, but I finally picked this up after days of searching: http://www.rona.ca/en/hydrated-lime
                    It doesn't say "Type S" which has me concerned. Is this the stuff to use?

Comment

I think that the hydrated lime that you have found will be just fine. That is what the recipe calls for. I could not even get that locally. I think that the "Type S" hydrated lime is preferred ( for workability) , but not a critical indgredient as long as you have hydrated lime. Maybe Tscarborough or others will advise.
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Oh that's wonderful! I'm racking my brain trying to figure out if what I bought is type-n? Type-s? What the difference it would make for the Homebrew recipe?

I was also suggested Dolomite by a pottery shop owner but I disregarded it as no one here seems to use this. After some googling however, I've discovered there's Dolomitic Type-S Hydrated Lime too??? I'm wondering if that's what he was referring to?

Either way, if the hydrated lime I bought will work well then that would be perfect!

I'd love to hear what others think too!

Thank you

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                        I think that the hydrated lime that you have found will be just fine. That is what the recipe calls for. I could not even get that locally. I think that the "Type S" hydrated lime is preferred ( for workability) , but not a critical indgredient as long as you have hydrated lime. Maybe Tscarborough or others will advise.

Comment

Hey! Here's an update! This is what it says on the back of the bag. Does this confirm it's good for mortar? I'm concerned as it says it can be used for gardening since I hear that lime is either, or. Not for both building and gardening?

"To use as lime wash, mix 6kg with water to a creamy consistency and allow to stand 10 minutes before using. A small capful of dissolved salt added to this mixture will improve adhesion considerably. For sweetening lawn and garden soil, apply a week before or after fertilizer has been added. The recommended dosage is 24 sq. m per 6kg bag"

Originally posted by Gulf View Post

Comment

Originally posted by llamabucket View Post

....................."To use as lime wash.................."

"Lime wash" is what we called "white wash". The main ingredient in white wash is hydrated lime. I think that it will work just fine .
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

UPDATE! So everything worked perfectly! The fire mortar came out amazing and our firebricks are in place. Thank you for your help!

One other question, we have a lot of the fire mortar ingredients left. We'll be covering the whole oven with an arch of red house bricks and I'm wondering if we can use the same recipe we used for the refractory mortar on these as well? I see recipes for regular mortar call for portland cement, sand, hydrated lime anyway...and some even suggest adding fireclay for workability so I'm thinking why not?

Comment

If it is for another layer of brick to add to the thermal layer, by all means. However, If that layer of brick is separated from the thermal layer by insulation and is subject to the elements, you may want to go with a more traditional mortar. The old formula for Type N masonry cement is 1 part hydrated lime and 1 part portland cement. Add 1 part of that mix to 3 parts sand and you have Type-N mortar. That formula works very well .

Comment

Working...
                                X