• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deejayoh
    replied
    Re: Starting new 36" build

Tracy -
    Good thought. maybe I should use the Kaowool for sealing the crack. I was thinking about buying the black goop that others have used, but the caulk might be better, given it has some flex to it. Dome seems to want to shrink and grow with heat.

Dennis

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

DJ
    Any thoughts on using the Kaowool or Inswool caulk in the crack that developed in your oven? They seem to be indicated for expansion joints. I don't know if the crack is a problem or just aggravation.
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

DVM -

Thanks. I am pouring a concrete landing. What I have read is 1% slope away from the oven is sufficient, so that's my plan. I am going to get the framing and siding in place and then pour that. I think. Not 100% sure about the order there. It might be better to build the front of the framing on top of the counter.

For the heat break - when it gets here, I am using Kaowool moldable. It's an insulating caulk - made up of the same stuff as the blanket and CF board that we have under our ovens

Kaowool Caulk Details

This weekend I cleaned up all the construction crap I had lying around the oven and took a load of brick chips to the dump. What a relief to have all that stuff out of the way! I am still going to make another mess putting the enclosure and cladding on the oven - but it's nice to have the brick dust out of there!

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    While I'm at it - here's my first draft of an enclosure design.
    I like the enclosure you have designed. - You have a knack with CAD! Are you planning to pour a concrete hearth? That is my plan - My step dad (a now retired contractor) recommended that I slope the poured concrete slab away from the oven - I would not of though of that on my own.
    dvm

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

deejayoh. I decided to put a "partial" heat break in my build. I will not interrupt the cooking surface to vent floor tiles, But I will isolate the oven arch from the chimney vent. I am planning to stuff a 1/4 inch gap with insulating braid. What type of caulk have you ordered?

dvm

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Chris -
    I have the CF blanket - I am just waiting for the insulating rope and caulk that I want to use to seal my heat break. They were about the only place I found that had both, so I gave them my money and don't want the hassle of cancelling/reordering.

I could probably put on the blanket now and just peel it back to install the seal. There has to be a seam at the arch anyway.

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

I'm sorry to hear about the insulation vendor. :-(

Do you have other options that make sense?

Chris

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Cranked the oven up again last night and got it to ~700 degrees. I had a pretty good fire going in there and no new cracks. It was clear on the side that I pushed the fire over to, but not at the top of the dome. I could see that the existing crack widened out a bit when the oven was hot. By this morning it had shrunk back.

I cooked a couple of pizzas, which came out just ok. Crisp on the bottom, but not with the char on the crust that I want. I need to get the oven hotter still - which I am going to try doing on Saturday if the weather holds. I am having some friends and family over and am going to crank it up, try to get the dome totally clear. I figure it's ready now for a real burn.

I would get some insulation on too, but I am still waiting for the stuff to seal my heat break. Turns out the place that I ordered from is shut down for vacation for 2 weeks and not sending out any orders. Took my money, but didn't tell me that part. Grrr. NWIronworks.com is the name of the place if you want to know where NOT to order.

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Finally got the chance to inspec and the crack is visible inside the oven too - which is worrisome
    You'll feel better after you listen to the sage of montreal.

".there is a crack in everything
    that's how the light gets in.."

The song should be the oven builders "Anthem"
    Anthem, Leonard Cohen, Sharon Robinson & The Webb Sisters - YouTube
    Last edited by Amac; 06-21-2012, 04:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

hmmm. Where are you seeing that 3' is recommended? I checked this a lot and used an 8" vent - which is I think where people have issues, but AFAIK 2' is ok for a 39" oven. 4 fires in, the oven draws fine. All the FB kits of this size come with the same 2' duravent pipe.

What I read is that chimney height is kind of a design choice, and that you should worry more about the diameter - but maybe I missed something.

Leave a comment:

• clg763
    replied

Why are you only going with a 2' chimney instead of the recommended 3' minimum for your oven? I would think you should be trying to find ways to make your chimney higher rather than keep it short,

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

While I'm at it - here's my first draft of an enclosure design.

I am planning for a 12" overhang in the front, and 6" on the sides and back. Does anyone have any thoughts on the scale of that?

Also shooting for the lowest point of the roof trim to be at least 6' 3", as I don't want to be knocking my head on that. But that causes some issues with the height of my chimney at the top. Current view has an ~18% slope on the roof, in order to give the 2' chimney room to clear the roof. I think even at that, I may need to go back and raise the chimney up by a few inches to give me a little more clearance for the box. It needs to be flashed and finished - which will be tough if it is only 4-5 inches higher than the roofline.
    Last edited by deejayoh; 06-20-2012, 10:49 PM. Reason: add picture

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Finally got the chance to inspec and the crack is visible inside the oven too - which is worrisome. But never fear, I am going to fire it up again tonight and see what happens. First pies with a sourdough culture dough!

thanks Tscarborough. I was thinking about a patch on the outside, not the inside - but I think I'll only go there if I see any widening of the crack with future fires

Chris - I probably should put the insulation on, but it's been such a crappy, rainy June that whenever it has been nice I've wanted to focus on curing!

Next report tomorrow after some cooking!

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

As a rule, you don't want to patch cracks on the inside at all unless they are big enough to allow flame to escape the dome.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Thanks guys -
    I am not going to freak out about it. The dome just seemed to want to stretch out. But it all seems solid. No loose bricks. I may patch it with some of the black goo furnace cement if it widens out at all. But when I looked at it this morning and it had shrunk back a bit.

I also need to poke my head into the oven now that it is cool to see if it showed up on the inside.

Assuming all that goes ok, I probably fire a few more times this week and then put on the insulation next weekend. I'll probably pick up some steel studs for framing as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X