replied
    Re: Starting new 36" build

Here's today's view:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000170.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	291788

As you can see, the rain has started here. I got to this point just in time! The counters came out pretty well. As you can see, they're not exactly flat and water is going to pool in some places. Oh well. It's an outdoor kitchen.

I am pretty pleased with the results of the polishing:

Name:	WP_000168.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	291789
    I still need to stain and seal, but they're pretty smooth and I am happy with the way the aggregate exposed.

As you can see, I also started putting up the felt and the lath. I hope I did this right. I figured I would at least get that up while I think about the stucco application.

Today I'm going to clean up all the concrete dust and get the last cabinet installed. Be ready for beauty shots tonight

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

I forgot to add, my man did it by hand not sprayer as in the video.

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

Hi Dennis,

My man did it all in a day. He encased it in wire mesh lathe, applied the scratch coat, came back later and applied the brown coat, mixed the pigments and applied the finish coat, it was a work. Check out this video:How to apply a 3 coat Stucco system on the same day. Dash finish - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

I recently told my family (as if they didn't know) that the Summer of the Pizza oven is turning into the Year of the Pizza oven. Sigh

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Nice work Dennis - also Russell, Gulf and Tracy. I got back a few days ago and haven't got around to posting. Feels like the projects are all winding down together and the class of 2012 are about to graduate
    Lately I have almost stopped any furthere developments. I still have to make proper insulated door and I have a stucco crack near the chimney which I have to figure how to fill, and some other tidying up but other issues seem to intrude more and more.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

He no hablo english to well and me espanol not too good either. Two arms though. I will watch and make sure he is using both of them. Maybe that is double the price for both arms. I think it is too many hours too. If he isn't about done in 10, we aren't on the same page.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

30 hours? Does he only have one arm?

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

not sure, materials around $150 and labor by the hour. He is doing a plaster looking finish w/ color and a molding at the top next to the ceiling. He thinks 30 hours @ $15hr. I will let you know the final tally. Seems like a lot of hours, but i think he was guessing high trying to CYA. I did the hourly instead of bid #, i think it usually works out better for both. But, if it takes him 30, it would take me longer for sure.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Gulf - I take your point. I'm still thinking about it. I have the felt paper and bought the lath - so I am halfway there.

Tracy - interested to hear - how big of check are you writing?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by texman View Post
    DJ
    ...........After building an oven, i think this would be manageable for sure. But the thought of writing a check and actually using all this stuff we have built is very enticing at this point instead of it dragging on through another spring and summer.............
    Tracy
    Tracy,
    I can surely respect that . But, I don't think that anyone who has followed your build believes the lazy part .

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

DJ
    FWIW-I met a stucco guy last night that is starting on mine this weekend. So if you do decide to hire it out, I am with you there. It isn't the skill so much, it is the TIME. I have grossly exceeded my time allotted for absence from the family life as i have been told. Also i am just ready for it to be done.
    Gulf
    You are right. After building an oven, i think this would be manageable for sure. But the thought of writing a check and actually using all this stuff we have built is very enticing at this point instead of it dragging on through another spring and summer. Yes-i am lazy, too.
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

DeeJay,
    Just a little word of encouragement.
    Take a little rest, and do some research, before you decide to outsource the stucco.
    Yours is all a straight wall, and standard mesh and standoff application.
    You can do it .

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

More progress today. I got all the countertops polished up to 800 grit. What a mess that makes! I had puddles of concrete mud all over my patio. I got most of it cleaned up, but it was a pain

I applied a concrete slurry to all the bugholes. I am amazed at how well it seems to have hidden them! I may need to do one more pass with the slurry for the big holes, but the edges and problem areas look 100% better than when I started.

Name:	WP_000164.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	291754Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000165.jpg
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	291755Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000166.jpg
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	291756

Tomorrow I will be taking another pass with the 800 grit, and then hopefully a final pass with 1500 grit.

I am thinking I am going to try to outsource the stucco on my oven house. I am getting tired, and that is a skill I don't think I am going to reuse. I do think I will try to do concrete counter work again though. It's pretty cool.

BTW - getting rid of that cyclone fencing and hiding the kids toys from my view is my next project!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Hey DJ,

Lookin nice. I just polished off my slurry coat last night at the 400 grit level. It took care of most of the bug holes as well as the porous sides. I had polished to 400, slurried, let dry for several days then polished with 800, starting to get a sheen now. Mix a small dry batch of portland and colorant and when ready to slurry added a fortifier. Counter bottoms look very nice............

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Originally posted by texman View Post
    DJ
    Man, you do good work. the counters look great and i think the color is perfect with your veneer layer.
    I got lost in all the discussion of plasticizers and the other big words being bantered about.
    So did you decide to polish? You are finishing a very nice setup. ]
    Tracy
    Tracy -
    thanks. I am polishing. I got up to 400 grit on one section today. It is looking pretty good. The edges are a bit dodgy, but I guess it will just be "rustic". On the color - it did not turn out quite as dark as I wanted so I think I am going to apply a black stain. We'll see. I wanted it to be almost black

Name:	WP_000160.jpg
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	291740
    BTW, As you can see in the picture, I have finished installing the veneer all the way up to the countertops last week and I think it looks great. I wish I would have taken a better picture of that. Makes all the difference in the world to not have any open patches

The upside down pour for the oven landing did not come out as well. I have lots of bugholes. Still working on that one! I hope to get both counter pieces polished up to 800 grit tomorrow and then do a slurry layer for the bugholes. I want to finish with 1500 grit on Thursday. Friday it is supposed to start raining here and who knows when that will end!
    Last edited by deejayoh; 10-09-2012, 10:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X