X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deejayoh
    replied
    Re: Starting new 36" build

I just have to share: This is the what the Marta lift looked like the week I spent at LL. We hiked it the last day because they never got it dug out!

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0148.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	292871

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Very Nice and Classy a fine addition to your WFO............

Like the shoe on the left foot. Hate to even think what it cost . LL Heli tooks us up to 15,000 feet. What I hated the most at the SA resorts were those #$@% pomas. Tough to ride on a board.

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Congrats to your SO. That looks fantastic!

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Russell -

Heli at LL sounds adventurous. I have been there once, and to Bariloche twice. Lots of fun, but given the chaotic lift ops, I am not sure I am trusting an Argentinian helicopter pilot!

Anyway, I have some updated shots of the mosaic. She got it all finished today except for sealing. I think it came out great!

Here's what it looked like after we got it laid in, with no grout

Name:	No Grout.jpg
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	292867
    Grout applied

Name:	Grout.jpg
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	292868
    Sponged off

Name:	Clean.jpg
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	292869
    After clean up!

Name:	Final.jpg
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	292870

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

You are just a spring chicken. If you are on the mend during our season, you can always go to So. America this summer . Did a heli trip at Las Lenas a couple years ago and quite honestly, nothing beats our snow in Utah. Been sidelined this year from teaching at Snowbird due to taking care of an aging parent. But next year! I try and ride fakie (goofy) here and there but never quite as good as regular. Good luck with the healing. BTW the mosiac is very classy along with the black polished concrete.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    DJ,
    Hope you mend up soon. I have to wear orthodics for the same thing you have. Something about getting old.
    Personally, I think it's getting old and snowboarding. I am pretty sure it was caused by the pressure from my boot on my front foot. Given how long a path to recovery there is from the surgery, I am worried I may need to either give it up or learn to right goofy. I'm turning the big five-oh this year, and wanted to mark occasion with a big heli trip. We'll see if that happens.

I'll post some hi-res pics of the mosaic when it's done. Now it looks like it will be after the super bowl.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

DJ,

Very nice. My weather conditions here in Utah and mosiacs don't like each other or I would steal you concept. Hope you mend up soon. I have to wear orthodics for the same thing you have. Something about getting old.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

The mosaic pieces are 3/8" marble cubes in 4 different colors. It's the way the old roman mosaics were done. She ordered the mosaic bits in bags from some place online, not sure where. You can also order 12 x 12" sheets of them stuck to backing but you have to remove a lot of them. There are something like 3000 cubes in the design.

Not sure about how it would handle freeze thaw, as it is not much of an issue here. But I do plan to seal the whole thing as much as possible - mostly for stain resistance.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

I have been thinking of doing something similar, Where did you get the small mosaic pieces and what material are they made from. Freeze thaw cycles here require porcelain or mosaic or quarry tile I think....

Chip

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Ah, winter blues. It's been a while since I have updated - and my activity has been slowed significantly due to fact that I have been on crutches for the last month. I had surgery to remove a bone spur under my achilles right after Christmas, and recovery is slow.

But... that hasn't stopped my SO from working on her contribution to the oven. She's been putting together a marble mosaic to go on the oven landing. I have to say, I'm pretty darn impressed with what she's done!

Name:	WP_000255.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	292832

The mosaic says "I Cinquanta Gradini", which is Italian for "The Fifty Steps". That's what I call my oven because there are 50 stairs up from the street. I figure after carrying all the brick, mortar, and concrete up those stairs - it had to be commemorated. She has also wound some vines through the lettering.

Anyway, she is planning to transfer the mosaic from her workspace to the landing today. Once the mosaic is in, I'll install the landing in front of the oven.

Name:	WP_000257.jpg
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	292833

Apparently the trick is to use contact paper to pick up all the pieces and transfer large sections all at once. I'll try to post some progress pics.

Oh, and yes - that's my crutch in the second picture.

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

WFO cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Looks like a new Christmas tradition has begun! Congratulations on the great door. It adds a lot of versatility to the oven.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Fired up the oven for a little football party last night. Had the extended family over, and cooked six pies standing out in the rain, while in between I watched the Seahawks but a smack-down on the 49ers.

I had my first baking experience since I building the door this morning. The thermometer in the door indicated the oven was about 480F when I turned in for the evening. I slept in a bit late, and when I checked this morning around ten it was about 340F. I had been planning cinnamon rolls this morning, so I took the door off and checked the temp inside - it was about 375F - which was perfect. The rolls came out perfectly

Name:	WP_000245.jpg
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	292548

Seven hours later, the door thermometer is still showing 300 degrees.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Thanks Dino. I got the wiring up for the satellites yesterday, and ordered all the connections and mounts. I should have the speakers ready to go soon.

As for the squeezebox - if you want one, I'd look into it soon. I read that they have been discontinued. There may be deals out there. But for ongoing support, you may want to look at roku or something like that.

The door turned out better than I had expected. Thanks for the compliment. I still haven't baked with it. Winter weather has cut into my oven usage.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Pizza, wine, music, backyard parties: perfect ingredients for a good time. I've got 2 sets of speakers hard wired to eaves on the back and side (wfo side) of the yard but I've been experimenting with "air-tunes" and portable boom boxes with success too in various parts of the yard. I'm going to check out that Squeezbox too.

I'm really liking your oven door too. Great job.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

This is completely unrelated to pizza, but since the weather has gotten bad, I've been looking for new projects. I decided I needed some music in the backyard for parties, but there is no wiring running from anyplace where I have a stereo to the back yard.

I put together a little system that is pretty cool. I found a 2.1 plate amplifier at Parts Express that will run both a subwoofer and satellite speakers. Since I already had a pair of outdoor satellites, I built up an 8" sub using that amp and a flat pack box. The combination sounds surprisingly good. The little box on top of the sub is a Logitech Squeezebox, which gives me wireless access to all the music on my home network and to services like Pandora and Spotify. There is also a jack in the back of the sub where I can plug in an iPhone/iPod if I want to go that way.

My plan is to permanently install the satellites under the eaves in my back yard. When I have people over, I pull the sub out of the closet and plug in the speakers. When I'm not using it, I can keep it out of the rain.

Name:	WP_20121206_003.jpg
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	292474

Leave a comment:

Working...
X