Starting new 36" build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting new 36" build

Ah, gotta love summer in Seattle. 8PM and still light enough to do whatever you want outside. I just finished up working on the oven tonight. I only stopped because I ran out of mortar (and sand, and cement... gotta go to the supply store tomorrow)

I am about 2/3 through the 11th chain. It's going in well, but the dome has developed a flat spot on one side. Droops maybe 1/2 an inch? At this point, I am not going to worry about it unless someone tells me it is a big issue. That's the perils of not using an IT. If I had to to do it over again, I'd do a hemisphere. But the dome is pretty close to the shape and height I was targeting - and it looks like it's going to meet in the middle. So I am soldiering on.

I figure 2 more chains? The brick laying goes much faster now that I am over the arch. I am looking forward to closing this in.

FWIW, I don't think I will ever be posting a picture of the inside of my oven. I see these beautiful clean pictures of tightly fit bricks. Mine's a mess. Mortar drips all over the place. I don't know how you guys do it!
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Ah, gotta love summer in Seattle. 8PM and still light enough to do whatever you want outside.
      Latitude is an odd thing to like but I always did like the fact that at our latitude which is around 53? N (about 6? north of you) - we get nice long evenings after the spring equinox. Of course you have to pay back in the winter but I love the stretch in summer.

It looks great now Dennis and seems to be following your planned shape very well. I'm sure the inside is not that bad. Mine isn't great - I wore out some rags and designed some new grunge wear (nod to Seattle - the spiritual home) - see photo of the hen party line - my wife refused to model it ) but it was only to get rid of the more obvious stuff that I wouldn't fancy as pizza topping. Never used that acid or anything like that.
      Our weather here is behaving funny this year. In March we had temeratures in the 20s - which is may or june temps. April was well april - unpredictable - and now May is in the 9s and 10s which should be March
      Amac
      Link to my WFO build

Comment

Dennis,
        Nice recovery! When it's all said and done, no one notices minor imperfections, just the killer pizza! I would, however, take a minute to wipe (damp towel) the inside of your freshly-layed bricks once the mortar has firmed up enough to be wiped. This will leave you with a clean-looking joint as well as expose any brick faces that don't line up well with an adjacent brick.

Verrry nice, tight joints in your overhead shots. As each remaining course progresses, you may want to bring your dome back into round. You can do this by shaving some of the face of each brick (opposite of what you did to bring the low dome side level) that is closer to center, and adding some brick to the sides that are further from center. Uh, did that make any sense?
        John

Comment

I really want to get this dome closed in over the holiday weekend. I bought another 35 bricks so I could do the plug and the outer arch. I am 1.5 chains and the plug away!

Tonight I was paying for past sins, doing as John suggested and trying to get this thing back in round and level. It is going pretty well, except I end up cutting a lot of custom bricks. Oh well. Should make the next chain easier, right?

In the first pic, you can see that the top of the chain is now level. Second shows it's now looking pretty round. If you look close at the right side of the picture, you can also see that I rigged up an IT to get things all back in order. It seems to be doing the trick.
          My build progress

Comment

Man, that looks great! Wish I had an oven like that.
            Have a good weekend and enjoy your accomplishments.
            I will catch up soon.
            Tracy
            Texman Kitchen
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Getting closer. Looking back in round and level. I love that this thing is strong enough to stand on already.
              My build progress

Comment

Looking good Dennis nice work - great to see it move in towards the plug. The dome shaped oven has kind of hypnotic attraction I can't imagine in the vaulted ovens.

I stood on mine and have some photos but I waited a judicious period before I would chance it, and not before I had closed the dome. With my lack of planning when I had finished the dome I was at a loss how to continue for a week or two ( I'm now at another crossoads where I can't decide which way to go)
                Amac
                Link to my WFO build

Comment

Whoohoo!

The dome is closed in! I am giddy with excitement! the interior shot is not a great one, but best I could get just putting my arm in there.

Now I am hoping to get some serious traction on the outer arch and flue with the rest of the day.

It's really coming together. I kind of can't believe it.
                  Last edited by deejayoh; 05-28-2012, 08:29 PM.
                  My build progress

Comment

That looks like the last "spike" joining the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railroads Dennis - it should be gold and have a ceremony with many dignitaries. Failing that it deserves at least a few beers - so cheers and congrats .
                    http://www.sfmuseum.org/hist11/spike.jpg
                    Last edited by Amac; 05-29-2012, 03:55 AM.
                    Amac
                    Link to my WFO build

Comment

I need some advice on curing the oven. How long do you need to wait for the mortar to dry out before you start heating the dome?

Can I start the curing process before I get the outer arch and vent installed?
                      My build progress

Comment

You can but when you install them you need to let them dry too or risk cracking the outer arch/vent chamber.

I think you can start curing 2 weeks after last brick was mortared. But take it really slow.
                        One week after laying of last brick I think you can put in a lamp or small heater. I'm sure the Pro's will correct me if that's not right.

Comment

Looking good, Dennis! Yet another oven-builder who will soon me by while I twiddle my thumbs.

John

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                            Looking good, Dennis! Yet another oven-builder who will soon me by while I twiddle my thumbs.

John
                            Thanks John. Not as pretty as yours, but I think it'll do.

I'm planning to incorporate/steal a couple of your ideas forthe entry: a soapstone floor (sourcing a scrap now); A heat break around the inner arch; and a metal divider between the vent floor and oven floor (still looking for this)

I started building the vent arch last night, and since there is a heat break - it's basically a free-standing structure on the insulation. I'm a bit worried about stability. You have any thoughts on this? I will post a shot of the way that I am building it when I get home so you can see what I am talking about.

Edit: Scratch that comment about stealing the soapstone idea from you! I just went back and looked at your thread and saw that you'd dropped that and gone to stainless. I was thinking about putting a piece of rectangular stainless tubing (like this) between the firebrick oven floor and the soapstone vent floor. I figured that should stop much of the heat transfer into the vent. Should I reconsider? I'm not looking for perfect - but definitely want to have something that works.
                            Last edited by deejayoh; 05-29-2012, 01:35 PM.
                            My build progress

Comment

Steel is better heat conductor than brick, about 12 times as good. Thermal Conductivity of some common Materials and Gases

How about just cutting a taper on the brick edge that is against the oven floor? that would leave a void between most of the oven landing and floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Laku View Post
                                Steel is better heat conductor than brick, about 12 times as good. Thermal Conductivity of some common Materials and Gases

How about just cutting a taper on the brick edge that is against the oven floor? that would leave a void between most of the oven landing and floor.
                                I can see that a solid piece of steel would be an issue - but I was thinking that stainless tubing might effectively create an air gap.

A taper would work, but I worry about chipping. That firebrick is not the strongest stuff, and getting a stronger material at the transition was another plus of the stainless.
                                My build progress

Comment

Working...
                                X