Entry/landing brick to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Entry/landing brick to use?

Four inches is really only two on each side overall, I could also trim that first course down a bit if I get spacers in there and see it won't work afterall. I had initially planned on doing a double course of brick there, but I realised quickly that was beyond my limited masonry skill. I think I'd like to try a unconventional patchwork brick look to the base, using half bricks on end in a stepping stone/loose herringbone pattern. I suppose I should test that out and see what kind of mortar joints I need there and keep the joints all uniform thickness.

I have my soldiers all set now though, I'll have to do a little dome building before I come back to this 'problem' :-) I will compensate for mortar joints this next arch build though.
    My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Re: Entry/landing brick to use?

Standard mortar joint for brick is 3/8". In an arch that would be the inside joint. That joint size is based on several things, too esoteric to discuss here, but it is a good baseline to work from.

Generally, if I am going to cut units for the arch, I draw it out full scale and lay out the joints. If you are not going to cut each brick, then build up both sides at the same time, leveling across the units, and adjust (by cutting) the last 2 units before the keystone. If that works out to be a sliver of brick, i.e. less than 1/4 of a full unit, then you will need to reduce the size of the keystone.

Comment

Working...
      X