Structural Slab for new WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Structural Slab for new WFO

I lived on Park Point while going to UMD, the fall before joining the Marine Corps. They really have some crazy weather in that port town! Must have made me crazy enough to volunteer right in the middle of the Viet Nam War!
    Yikes--really crazy nuts!

One spring there was ice jambed up in the harbor in June.

The year that the Edmund Fitzgerald sunk was also a pretty cold one--think it was 1975--back in college by then! Still had all my parts--must have been lucky not to have been sent into the war zone!

Comment

Chip, Nice looking ribs. Are you using a hand mixed rub? Does that cut have a name? If not I'd suggest the bear claw. Good use of the apple wood. I did a chuck roast yesterday with a combination of apple and hard maple.
      John

Comment

Originally posted by silvfox View Post
        Chip, Nice looking ribs. Are you using a hand mixed rub? Does that cut have a name? If not I'd suggest the bear claw. Good use of the apple wood. I did a chuck roast yesterday with a combination of apple and hard maple.
        John

I use a home made rub most of the time but this rub was "Weber Kick'n Chicken" seasoning. The cut was an attempt to get a good smoke penetration and I like a little dryer and chewer rib. I do not think the cut has a name but who knows.

We also sauced them at the table with a home made sauce.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

Got a couple of things on the for the upcoming week-end. Got to move the oven from the middle of the lawn to somewhere on the driveway. It has been sitting in one spot for many weeks now and if it isn't moved, all the grass will die in its footpring...so back to borrowing the forklift.

Next is trying to make Finnish rye bread again. Hopefully by Saturday, my oven door will be complete. Making it from 1.6 stainless steel with tapping for oven BM thermometer, threaded studs to accomodate handles and able to be disassembled to place insulation in the sandwich core-40mm thick door. If I cannot get it done, can still use the temporaty plywood door. It retains the heat just fine.

With an door mounted thermometer, I can better judge the temperature and maybe avoid the problem of burnt food!

Next is figuring out a final place for the oven and what kind of structure will cover the WFO and other outdoor space. Am tired of the tarp and having to worry about rain. Guess it will all work in time.

The last time the oven was fired, started the oven early then left it unattended--the entire oven cleared as well as the transition areas. The temperatures of the refractory near the exterior opening (oya ishi basho) were quite cool compared to the near 1000F interior temps. This week-end I'll try for two days burning and see if the whole thing has dried out.

Been looking for recipe's for different kinds of sausages. There is a very good Slovenian meat shop in Gilbert, Minnesota that makes great sausages--wish I could get some of those home recipes...wishful thinking though--family secrets!

Comment

Saturday I did a little shopping for Sunday feast. Asked a good friend what fish would cook well in a WFO and he recommended Tai. The English name for this fish is RED SNAPPER. Picked up a 5 pound whole fish and had it gutted and scaled at the market--ready for a sunday meal.

This is the first time in weeks that the oven was fired. The kindling was not 100% dry because of rain on Friday, and it took a little longer to actually get the fire going. Once burning, I added oak twice--first time 3 pieces--3" around; second time 5 pieces various sizes but all under 4". That was the total wood requirement to bring the oven from ambient to 470 deg C plus. Before noon, I let the fire die down and removed the coals. The oven sat from noon til
            around 4 and the temp ...oven door on was still 265C. This was a little high for fish, but the concoction was salt & herb encrusted Red Snapper with lemon slices in the belly cavity. first time so had to watch the cook closely--

After 25 minutes the salt dome was slightly brown, an additional 15 minutes and I took the fish out. I let it sit another 15 minutes encrusted in salt then checked on the doneness. The fish was done but extremely moist, almost to the point of being mushy.

Probably should have left it in another 10 minutes and possibly the water would have burnt itself out. But too late for that. It was a very mild tasting fish, enjoyed by all--actually we dipped portions into salt to get more flavor. good thing that fresh fish is cheap here. About the same price per kg as regular hamburger--but a lot more healthy to eat.

I think that the oven is cured and dry now. Zero cracks on the inside, dome clears totally after maybe 1.5 hours, the perlite outer insulation shell has cracks like tectonic plates on the earth--same for the render coat.

Now have to make plans to do the final render coats; add some stucco mesh and finish up with shikui--plaster top coat. same product used for outside of castles and fences around zairai homes in Japan. I might choose a pigment instead of the traditional pure white.

Also on Saturday, moved the oven via forklift to my driveway---the prolonged presence on the lawn was killing off last years hard work with preparing a base and sodding. Now, it is in a location that it is not crowded and I can easily cover and uncover it while I put the finish coats on the dome.

I think I'll start making forms for a smaller version of my oven. Mine is much to large for regular japanese households; but the concept of a WFO is still valid and I think there are a lot of people who would use an oven if it were small enough; light enough; and friendly as far as wood consumption goes. Thinking about a smaller version with 2' interior finish dimension--and try to lighten and cheapen things up! This will be a nice exercise in formwork again.

This "structural slab for WFO" has run it's course. The work was not that difficult, castable refractory is very forgiving even with erratic burns and sometimes way over heating.. Next time, probably no pericrete and a different design. No dome..just an enclosure and poured insulation. Once that the forms are completed; maybe one week to finish an oven ready for firing! That is the next challenge.

Located a super plasticizer and have high hopes for using it in different applications. The brand I will be using is an international company with offices in Japan. Their instructions are available in both Japanese and English. It is amazing what chemistry can do--even for something down to earth as concrete!
            Looking forward to using the new product and experimenting with it! Thanks David s for bringing the topic to my attention!

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
              Located a super plasticizer and have high hopes for using it in different applications. The brand I will be using is an international company with offices in Japan. Their instructions are available in both Japanese and English. It is amazing what chemistry can do--even for something down to earth as concrete!
              Looking forward to using the new product and experimenting with it! Thanks David s for bringing the topic to my attention!
              Liquid detergent?
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I use Sika Viscocrete 2210. i'm not a chemist, but I'm sure it is a pretty distant relative of liquid detergent that we are familiar with to wash dishes. Tons of research has gone into the formulation of super plasticisers to ensure they are compatible with concrete to improve strength, plasticity, finish and reduce shrinkage. Using the correct product that has undergone rigorous testing is prudent IMO.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I see the different camps from Australia have checked in. Glad to hear from both of you!

A homepage that really caught my eye is: BASF
                  If you first click--from Japanese to English, top right corner--the page becomes understandable. Then scroll down to the Reliable Partnership subtitle and there are two videos to watch. Both are very interesting.

They talk about basf product line called SDC. I thought it really interesting in they are providing a vibrationless concrete that reduces placement time considerably and makes an exceptional finish product in castings.

I need to get all the specifics and then try this stuff out myself for small pours.
                  I know how difficult it is to get a good looking casting and trying to keep balance of proper vibration so that the aggregate does not settle out. I really hate to see honeycomb concrete after a lot of preparation time making a mold.

Maybe this is new...or been around for years, but this is the first time I saw this product. I am sure there are many companies making similar products. Might work great for cast counters, thin slabs, ornamental concrete... I just haven't seen it before.

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
                    I see the different camps from Australia have checked in.
                    Im not camp. ................................
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I used "Websters" definition as meaning: a group of persons; esp : a group engaged in promoting or defending a theory, doctrine, position, or person.

Both you "Brickie of Oz" and "Davids" give differing viewpoints on the same topic of WFO's.

I wasn't suggesting that you were displaying exaggerated effeminate mannerisms--ah you were just making fun again! Really have to watch what I write!

I've been right out of the sticks all my life--that is where I like being from! --it might show in my writing! Too bad, that is me!
                      Last edited by mikku; 06-14-2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                        Im not camp. ................................
                        Well I'll be d@mn. A "redneck" from Mississippi is learning to speak a second/third language!!. I think it was General George Patton ( at least in the movie) who (I think) gave credit to George Bernard Shaw, who said "we are two countries separated by a common language"
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Has the topic of super plasticizers been addressed before? Somehow, I feel like I am stepping into an old discussion that was left to die along the road...

I've searched but user posts do not go back that far and I don't want to waste the time to dig further...so if there is "old info" point me in the right direction.

NO TIME TO BURN WOOD THIS WEEKEND! SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS FOR A WFO!

Comment

Super plasticizers are not really a DIY product.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                              Super plasticizers are not really a DIY product.
                              Unfortunately this is true. However the fact remains that adding additional water to a concrete mix in order to achieve the desired flow , leads to a weaker product. The additional water increases the volume resulting in looser bonds. If you try to buy the stuff you can only obtain it in commercial quantities. I had to get 20 L which was the smallest quantity I could buy. It is enough to treat LOTS of concrete when addition is around 1ml/ litre, (that's 1/1000 for the imperial Neanderthals.) if you know people in the building trade you may be able to score a smaller quantity from them.
                              Last edited by david s; 06-17-2013, 09:09 PM.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

All concrete in the US does not contain SP, it is very much a special order, and on the large projects I have worked on it is added at the jobsite, not at the plant. Bad concrete with no plasticizer is still usually better than incorrectly dosed SP concrete, which is why it is not and will not be a DIY product.

Comment

Working...
                                X