Corner Build Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corner Build Help Needed

I have decided to do a corner build oven under cover in my barn area.

I am a little restricted to size particulary now as I have laid my foundation slab (which is happily curing as I write) is 140 cm x 140cm (thats 55"x55" for those amongst us who are still in the old days of feet and inches and living too far for the romans to have ventured).
    I was hoping to get a 91cm (36"internal oven. if not I shall make it 81cm(32")

I have curved the front of the foundation slab where my feet will stand at the entrance to the oven.
    I was hoping that the blocks would be 40lx20hx20w (cm)which would fit exactly on the peripherals of my slab.(thats a big word for me)
    Now I have just found out today that the blocks available in Bulgaria to enable me to build my hearth support are 40l x20h x15w wide which causes me a mathamatical problem Can anyone work out how to build my 4 course high support. With Diagonal frontage on hearth/entrance.

Also, Also, theres more, I have looked at all the corner builds and I cant see one example of how to breach the gap between the two front sides. Maybe I saw photos of one when it was completed, BUT HOW DID YOU DO IT!!
    I will try to be more clear. On a normal slab you build the walls square or oblong and have access to all 4 sides, and put angle iron at the front to bridge the gap above the wood hole or whatever you may use the space under the hearth for.

On my intended corner oven,I will be trying to bridge this gap, with angle iron at a diagonal angle and somehow the blocks will have to be cut to suit that angle, but not being blessed with such skills of inteligence, I cant fathom out how this can be done.

Has any corner builder experienced this problem, is the gap not bridged in this normal fashion, will I have to go back to the drawing board? Will I be forever pizzaless?

Living in Bulgaria poses its many problems sourcing materials for the job is one, then of course theres the language barrier which doesnt help my plight, I may have to order some material from the Uk. I was offered asbestos when I enquired about insulation I havent been able to find Vermiculite but I think Ive found Perlite.
    Its a challenge, but with the best help found anywhere on a website I will one day be in Pizzadom

Many Thanks in advance of all assistance.
    YK

PLEASE READ POST 19. 40x20x20 BLOCKS ARE AVAILABLE IN BULGARIA
    Last edited by yorkshireknight; 04-04-2013, 02:26 AM. Reason: New Information

Re: Corner Build Help Needed

yorkshireknight

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-04-02 at 8.47.08 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	293671

The plans above are drawn to scale to your block dimensions, ie 40cml x 15cmw. Rather than dry stack them, I have allowed a mortar joint that will bring your blocks as shown to your base dimension of 140 x 140cm. By removing the 2 corner blocks you will have a 51cm opening and getting some 75mm angle cut and welded to shape, you have all the support that you could need. If you need more room on the top for your preferred oven size, then you can cantellever it over the block edges.

Cheers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

YSK,

You can do a concrete arch lintel that is a monolithic pour. I just takes a little creative wood forming. There a few more pictures in my Picassa thread.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I've placed a 100cm inside dimeter oven on this base with plenty of room for your wool insulation without having to cantellever the top

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-04-02 at 9.14.29 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	293676

The only other thing you will need to do is to build your entrance incorporating your transition beneath your chimney/flue.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Many Many Thanks for your prompt replies, Neill and Russell,

Spot on,you both knew exactly what I was getting at.
          Many thanks Neill for the illustrations that was brilliant of you and I now know at a push I could get a 100 cm internal, although i will be looking at a little bit smaller.
          another couple of questions please Neill,

It was my intention to dry stack and fill the holes with concrete, can i still do this and perhaps mortar between the gaps.Or were you saying I had to mortar between and underneath each row.
          Is the angle iron on the 3rd row or the top. I take it I will still have to cut the blocks to shape?
          Im a bit wary of that, but hey ho if you aint made any mistakes youve never tried. Reason being is the quality of stuff here isnt top grade shall we say, when picking up the blocks they have a tendancy to crumble.

Russell thanks for the great photos yet another good idea to combat my sleepless night many thanks and I may I say your ovens look fantastic, a credit to you both.
          I will start to post a few pickies when I am a little more underway.

Comment

Neill, With your artistry what would a 32inch internal look like on my slab and room for chimney and landing Im hopeing to get 3in of insulation around the dome (ordered from Uk) and 1-2inches stucco for finish.
            Cheers
            Paul

Comment

yorkshireknight
              I've redone the oven at 81.3cm diameter and simply shown it's size on your footing 140 x 140cm.Also drawn the blocks stacked but you will need to consider your ideal working height!
              I am 5'10" high and my oven floor is just right to see all the hearth without standing on tip toes nor stooping, so the top of your firebricks needs to be just right for YOU!

s the angle iron on the 3rd row or the top
              The angle iron sits in the top of the 3rd row supporting the concrete layer.

It was my intention to dry stack and fill the holes with concrete, can i still do this and perhaps mortar between the gaps.
              You can dry stack them but the scale diagram allows 1cm mortar joints. I see no reason why not to mortar your blocks in place AND fill them with concrete if desired. It all depends on your working height as you will need at least 10cm of reinforced concrete top but your insulation layer can be adjusted to suit AND a thin insulation board can also be added to increase the amount of insulation which is recommended, you can't have too much insulation!!!!!!

Cheers.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
              Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Once again Neill, Brilliant!!

I have been out to look at my curing slab this morning, and gave it two tablets and another couple of days of rest before I start phase 2, 'The Block stand'
                Your diagrams have been very helpful, I shall indeed cement all blocks and fill with concrete too(Ive tons of gravel mix , its like a quarry outside our gate)

WITH REGARD TO COOKING FLOOR HEIGHT
                I read with interest comments saying its best to be higher than lower,
                My slab is 10cm above ground to begin with, if I place 3 rows at 21cm another 10 for hearth slab, 5cms for fireboard and 6cm for brick depth gives me a total of 94cm, those with experience of cooking would you go with this or a 4th row would give me 114 cm at cooking floor level? Which is higher than yours Neill?
                Im 5' 8" in my cotton socks.

Regards
                Paul

Comment

My slab is 10cm above ground to begin with, if I place 3 rows at 21cm another 10 for hearth slab, 5cms for fireboard and 6cm for brick depth gives me a total of 94cm, those with experience of cooking would you go with this or a 4th row would give me 114 cm at cooking floor level?
                  Why not look at cutting your blocks in halves with a small diamond saw. If you cut the in halves, both pieces are useable and will raise the floor to close to your required height.
                  I would also put reinforcing rods down your corner blocks so that your top concrete can be locked into position rather than just sitting on top.
                  Don't settle for close enough, you will regret it for years to come, it doesn't take much effort to get it perfect.

Cheers.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                  Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Wise words Neill,

yes I have the rods already for that purpose, dont have the blocks yet.....thats the next trip in the car.
                    Cheers
                    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshireknight View Post
                      Once again Neill, Brilliant!!

I have been out to look at my curing slab this morning, and gave it two tablets and another couple of days of rest before I start phase 2, 'The Block stand'
                      Your diagrams have been very helpful, I shall indeed cement all blocks and fill with concrete too(Ive tons of gravel mix , its like a quarry outside our gate)

WITH REGARD TO COOKING FLOOR HEIGHT
                      I read with interest comments saying its best to be higher than lower,
                      My slab is 10cm above ground to begin with, if I place 3 rows at 21cm another 10 for hearth slab, 5cms for fireboard and 6cm for brick depth gives me a total of 94cm, those with experience of cooking would you go with this or a 4th row would give me 114 cm at cooking floor level? Which is higher than yours Neill?
                      Im 5' 8" in my cotton socks.

Regards
                      Paul
                      Paul,

My oven floor is 44 inches (112 cm) above the ground level in front of the oven and I am 5' 7.25" also in my socks.

I know this is higher than recommended in some posts.

I think the height is almost perfect. No bending over to look in the oven and easy to access the inside.

Chip
                      Last edited by mrchipster; 04-02-2013, 07:03 AM.
                      Chip

Comment

Thanks for that info Chip,
                        This afternoon I had the wife measuring from the floor while I held a broom handle at a comfortable level and pretended to turn a burnt pizza, we then swopped to find the
                        comfortable height for my shorter wife (well, it was her broom !) and I took the average, which turns out to be 111cm, so now I know what height Im looking at, and you Chip have confirmed that, good man! Im off to revise my revised layout.

Cheers
                        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshireknight View Post
                          Thanks for that info Chip,
                          This afternoon I had the wife measuring from the floor while I held a broom handle at a comfortable level and pretended to turn a burnt pizza, we then swopped to find the
                          comfortable height for my shorter wife (well, it was her broom !) and I took the average, which turns out to be 111cm, so now I know what height Im looking at, and you Chip have confirmed that, good man! Im off to revise my revised layout.

Cheers
                          Paul

I would set the "comfortable height" for me. We can always set a soap box in there for her to stand on .

Just kidding, do what ever is right for ya'll .
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Paul,
                            now that you have your "ideal working heart height" set, work backwards with your materials, hearth brick height, insulation/board thickness, cement thickness and now you can get the height to cut that top block course. A bit fussy but you will appreciate it for the rest of the oven use!
                            Cheers.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                            Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Paul
                              Adding to what's already said:..:... If there is anything in front down at the level of your toes (called a kicker board here)..make sure its recessed back from the most forward face of the oven. Then you can get right up close.
                              Bit like at the bottom of a kitchen bench.
                              Cheers
                              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Working...
                              X