X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenman
    replied
    Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

And there is nothing wrong with chomping on the extremities Dave. Offal is just becoming trendy and those of us who were brought up on it smile a little. The reality food shows that are making it popular are doing the old hands no favour at the checkout though.

Milk gut or curly gut was popular in the cattle camps. I assume that it is similar to chitlins.

All good, depends what you are fed on as a child.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Gulf
    After eating quail I recon I'd give the squirrel a go. Stuck in a restaurant with a knife and fork ... The squirrel must have more meat on it.
    Now with chitlins ....never tasted them. From my google searches it sounds ... Ar.... Interesting? There is a certain bravado in their preparation and cooking.
    A bit further up the intestinal tract. The navy use to serve tripe and onions. As a caterer it was a nightmare. The old guys demanded it, the young guys would not eat it. Next meal though, a bit of chicken booster and encase that tripe in pastry.... Chicken pies! The young guys loved them. You put on steak and kidney to satisfy the old guard.
    Same these days. You buy a frozen beef lasagna. Contains 25 per cent pure beef. Which bits? You don't ask, do you. But I'm sure they don't throw the bits away that are furtherest from the middle of the beast. Lips and arseholes are certainly not on the stated contents list !
    I must apologize to any lovers of frozen lasagna...sorry
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    Agreed. New Orleans and Seattle are among my favorite cities to visit. Both have great food scenes.

I've never tried fried, chitlins are boiled around here. I tried them once. Interesting experience. As others have noted, it is a taste that is rarely enjoyed by anyone who has not grown up with them. Even though I had only had one bite, it was also a taste that lingered for several hours. I doubt I would try boiled again, but would be willing to give fried a taste.
    Bruce,
    Actually, we fry, boiled chitlins. Boiling/simmering them for a few hours gets them tender before frying. To be honest, I'm not much into boiled. My parents generation boiled/fried them in the kitchen, which left an lingering aroma for hours in the house. That was probably a throwback from my grandparents generation and the change of housing designs down here in the south. Houses then had detached kitchens. It helps a lot if they are prepared much down wind of where they are eaten .

My generation was into boiling and frying them outside, much like fish fries and crawfish boils are popular down here now. My generation is dying out, I haven't been to a family/friends chitlin fry in about 10 years. Maybe, I should try to restart that tradition. There is only one local "catfish house" in my area that still serves fried chitlins. But, that is only about a couple of weekends a year around the holidays.

You may be right it being an aquired taiste, but I think it is mostly a mindset type of thing. Heck, a few weeks ago someone on this site actually called one of my favorite southern delicacies squirrel ,a "tree rat" .

Fried, really is a great! way to enjoy chitlins. I chit you not .
    Last edited by Gulf; 01-09-2014, 08:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    This is going to be interesting to watch these two, huh Bruce.................
    Agreed. New Orleans and Seattle are among my favorite cities to visit. Both have great food scenes.

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    OK,
    I'll go the 16 bagger box , your choice of flavors! Zapp's ain't bad but, ya'll don't know what your missin' on the chitlins. I would have had to send them cryopacked with instructions on how to clean and deep fat fry. Um! um! good .
    I've never tried fried, chitlins are boiled around here. I tried them once. Interesting experience. As others have noted, it is a taste that is rarely enjoyed by anyone who has not grown up with them. Even though I had only had one bite, it was also a taste that lingered for several hours. I doubt I would try boiled again, but would be willing to give fried a taste.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

This is going to be interesting to watch these two, huh Bruce.................

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

OK,
    I'll go the 16 bagger box , your choice of flavors! Zapp's ain't bad but, ya'll don't know what your missin' on the chitlins. I would have had to send them cryopacked with instructions on how to clean and deep fat fry. Um! um! good .

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Oh, I think some kind of bet is order. Add a little more fun to the game! It's gonna be loud and crazy. This town has been football crazy all year!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Thanks Bruce. DJ, hold out for Zapps vs Chitlins..........

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Okay you southerners, I have a vague idea of what Chitlins (kind of like menudo here) are but I have no clue on what zaps are!!!
    Actually, here is a better picture and link.

We Taste Every Flavor of Zapp's Potato Chips | Serious Eats

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Okay you southerners, I have a vague idea of what Chitlins (kind of like menudo here) are but I have no clue on what zaps are!!!
    Don't want to keep you in suspense.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Russell, no worries, the men with the baseball bats won't drop by for a few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Dave,

At least you have conceptual idea of American football. I do not have the slightest idea about rugby.........all in fun.

Bruce, give me a few days and your mystery package will arrive!

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Sounds like another "call out" for a bet! If it is, and the Seagulls win, I hope you like chitlins
    Deejayoh, at least hold out for some zaps.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally Posted by Gulf
    I'm, still going with the SAINTS
    Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    Hmm... not to steal Bruce's thread - but I think the Seahawks might have something to say about that.
    Sounds like another "call out" for a bet! If it is, and the Seagulls win, I hope you like chitlins
    Last edited by Gulf; 01-07-2014, 05:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X