39" Oven in AZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 39" Oven in AZ

Your right, it is not really a spreadsheet but a data sheet. I think at one time jcp31 was going to thread the data calcs but I never saw it. You can accomplish the same with Hendo's angle iron jig by using wedges for vertical and horizontal lift across the entire surface of the brick. But nothing wrong with Hendo's approach, just can't use the numbers from one process to the other.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
      ...just can't use the numbers from one process to the other.
      JCG's graph translates from one process to the other. The numbers on the horizontal (x) axis are the "slope" that would be used for the vertical lift on a Hendo Jig. The numbers on the vertical (y) axis are the "bevel" that corresponds for the Beehive Jig.

So, reading the chart, for your current course with a 12 degree "slope" you should be using a 1.2-ish degree bevel to get the "V" right.

I PM'd JCG to see if he could send me the supporting spreadsheet but not sure he is very active on the forum any longer. If I have some time I will try to work it out. I think it's a constant formula, just not good enough at trig to do it quickly!
      Last edited by deejayoh; 07-28-2013, 11:36 AM.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Had a long weekend so I was able to put up a course on Saturday and another this afternoon. Thank you thank you again to Dennis and Chip and Russell for getting me back on track.
        Last edited by Grtiz; 08-12-2013, 07:37 PM.
        My oven build

Comment

Looks like you figured out the angles. Coming along nicely.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Been awhile since I posted but I'm making progress slowly
            My oven build

Comment

Progress from today. Next course should complete the transition on the inner arch.
              My oven build

Comment

Finished up the transition today. I think the pace should really start picking up if I am correct now that it will be straight circles all the way around. By Deejayohs wonderful calculator I should be done with the dome in 6 more courses.

I'm fairly sure though that I will need another 20-30 bricks more than the 200 I purchased to finish the outer arch.
                My oven build

Comment

Looks great. I don't know what it is. I have looked at so many of these builds and I just can't get over this geometry! And now that the beveled inner arch has become the norm these builds just keep looking better and better..keep up the good work!

BTW what are you targeting for your dome height? I only ask because I built a 42" oven and ended up with a 22.5" dome and I wish I had made it lower. I think the lower dome would help to cook/brown the top of the pizza a little quicker. Theoretically a 39" oven would have a 19.5" dome (assuming your hemisphere started at floor level), which is probably ideal, but it is easy to get off track. You still have time to make some adjustments (if necessary) to meet that target.

Look forward to seeing the rest of your build.

Regards,
                  AT

Comment

Well it has been awhile since I've posted and I've disappointed myself in documenting my progress. So these few posts should catch me up to masonry completion.
                    My oven build

Comment

So my fatal flaw in design is the brick landing comes up to about 1" from the front of the hearth. There will be counter space to the left and right of the oven once I get the pavers and outdoor kitchen islands installed.

What are everyone's thoughts on using some L brackets bolted into the base to support a small granite or similar material landing?

The rest of the dome will end up with a steel stud enclosure.
                      My oven build

Comment

I wonder if I could bore several holes into the base and insert rebar pegs and then create a form to extend the hearth after the fact.

We clearly don't have freezing issues here and it wouldn't be supporting that much weight either.

Thoughts?
                        My oven build

Comment

Originally posted by Grtiz View Post
                          I wonder if I could bore several holes into the base and insert rebar pegs and then create a form to extend the hearth after the fact.

We clearly don't have freezing issues here and it wouldn't be supporting that much weight either.

Thoughts?
                          You can do that. When people have additions built onto their homes that is how they get attached. Use an epoxy that is made for this purpose and you should have no issues. Drill as deep as possible because it will want to "pull".
                          Check out my pictures here:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les,

You think it would be fine even if it is suspended up that high off the ground? Any thoughts on a safe thickness of the suspended slab? I wouldn't think that the same 4" hearth slab would be necessary but I could be wrong.
                            My oven build

Comment

Originally posted by Grtiz View Post
                              Les,

You think it would be fine even if it is suspended up that high off the ground? Any thoughts on a safe thickness of the suspended slab? I wouldn't think that the same 4" hearth slab would be necessary but I could be wrong.
                              I don't see that being a problem, and 4 inches should be fine. I would keep the extension to a minimum
                              Check out my pictures here:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

1st crack

So I started the curing fires today. This was at 200 degrees using crumpled paper scraps.

Sadly I got a crack in the outer arch. The lower part of the crack in the arch itself I'm not sure that it needs to be ground out and repaired but the one up top in the base for attaching the anchor certainly will be.

I should probably do this before lighting another curing fire and wait another week correct?
                                My oven build

Comment

Working...
                                X