Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget Build 36"

Hello,

I will try my first post again as it hasn't been cleared by admin/got lost.

I am hoping to tap into the wisdom available here and post my build as it progresses. I am based in New Zealand and want to whip up a basic pompeii style oven on a limited budget.

I am going to base it on a wood stand set on pavers. I can post some photos once this has been approved from admin.

I do have about 30 fire brick tiles that were surplus from a commercial wood fired pizza oven build in a nearby city that I plan to use for my oven floor. I have also salvaged some old orange clay bricks that came from a chimney on a 1920's house. These will be used for the dome, arches and chimney.

I have lots of photos and more to say but want to make sure this post makes it to the forum first.

Cheers!

Bevan

Re: Budget Build 36"

Welcome!

The first thing that jumped out at me was "on a wood stand." You might want to elaborate on this a bit more -- these ovens are heavy and hot, not always the best for wood

Which isn't to say it won't work (e.g. if the wood is well insulated from the hot bits), but I'd hesitate to have something that would rot out from under that much work even if it takes years.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome

I am planning (going to buy the lumber in a couple of hours) to build something like in the photos below.

I will be happy to get 10 years from the oven. Anything extra would be considered a bonus.

The wood will be isolated from the fire by 12" (4"concrete, 4"insulation and 4" oven floor) Hopefully that should take care of any fire risk.

Here are the photos I am basing it on:

Comment

Gudday
        Sorry my attempt at a link on the phone has not worked out but here's an oven that is is still being completed on a wood stand. It's in the same section as yourself. Awaiting you pics
        Regards dave

Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.
        Last edited by cobblerdave; 09-09-2013, 01:19 PM. Reason: Speling
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Well I built the stand today and have photos to post. Also photos of the brick I have etc. Needing moderator permission for every post is making things difficult. How many posts do I need before I can start posting info and photos?

Cheers,

Bevan

Comment

Oooh that worked so I will try a longer post with photos.

I started by digging out an area of grass sufficient to lay 9 large pavers. I had no access to gravel so spent a day smashing up old concrete to put down as a base. I then covered with sand and set the pavers. Time will tell if this foundation is good enough to bear the weight of the oven.

The stand is built from pressure treated wood (4x4 posts, 2x6's, and fence boards) It is screwed together and bolted through the posts and 2x6's. Hopefully heavy duty enough to do the trick.

I would say most the brick pizza ovens I see here in New Zealand have a wood base. It may not last as long but a traditional base was going to cost me $500 which is outside the budget. The supplies for the wood stand cost $280.

I Purchased some fire brick tiles from a guy that built a commercial wood fired oven in a close city. They were surplus to his build and just what I needed (thought I needed) for my oven floor. I got them for $1 each and they are 11" x 7" but only 1" thick.

My dome bricks are 1920's clay chimney bricks. I wasn't sure they would work for my oven but I had a couple of old proper fire bricks also. When I broke one of each with a hammer they broke in the same manner and had the same texture inside. I have a photo of that also.

So the plan in a 36" budget build with homebrew mortar. Hopefully with your guidance I can scrape together something better that my BBQ with a pizza stone.

Thanks,

Bevan
            Last edited by Laspaz; 04-11-2014, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Photos of progress so far

Comment

Photos of base etc

Comment

Photos of bricks

Comment

Some ovens on wood stands

Comment

Gudday
                      2 options other than a cement slab.
                      1/2 in compressed cement sheet x2 screwed into the stand.
                      Hebel power panel,3 in airated cement panel with built in Steel re enforcing. It will act as insulation as well but you need to top it with some ceramic board or pearlite/cement to protect the initial heat.
                      You home hammer test on the commons is a good thing if they crumbled into a number of small pieces I would have rejected them.
                      Hope something here helps
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once

My Build
                      My Door

Comment

Gudday
                        Those 1 inch firebrick tiles are a find. If you lay them on a layer of pressed clay pavers it give you a durable cooking surface and 3 inchs of thermal mass.
                        Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once

My Build
                        My Door

Comment

Hey Dave,

Cheers for the replies.

I hit the bricks with a hammer pretty hard and they broke into 3 pieces with not much dust or crumble. Hopefully they will be sweet.

I will look into the concrete slab alternatives you have provided me with, as it would be great to reduce the weight if possible. More likely I will have to go with concrete because of budget and limited materials here in NZ.

Thanks,

Bevan

Comment

Looks good and strong -- I always forget how sturdy wood can be when you go beyond just 2x4 size. Most stuff around here is probably twice as strong as it needs to be, you'll probably be perfectly fine with just 1.5 times as strong as it needs to be

In the same vein, I suspect the emphasis on firebrick also tends towards overkill -- your bricks ought to last a very long time. And they look fantastic! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. You have given me hope!

I do hope my bricks work out ok. They do have a bit of a clink sound when bashed together. I think worst case I may have some spalling as the oven cools down? Happy for anyone to advise otherwise.

I did manage to pick up a couple of meters of ceramic fiber blanket for $15 today. It must be better having just a little mixed in with the vermiculite, rather than none at all?

Cheers

Bevan

Comment

Working...
                              X