Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Budget Build 36"

Gudday Bevan
    It's been a coupla weeks now how's things progressing. It would be a sin not to see some progress pics
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
      Gudday Bevan
      It's been a coupla weeks now how's things progressing. It would be a sin not to see some progress pics
      Regards dave
      Hey Dave,

Thanks for checking in. I have been sick as a dog lately and spent much time on the couch looking at the oven. Tomorrow I will finally be firing her up again and having my folks over for pizza.

I have not done anything thing further on the oven, I am happy to make sure it is as dry as a bone before I put a stucco layer on. Also I haven't decided if I am going to add more insulation or not.

I have some sheet steel in the garage ready to cut out for a door. I am thinking a couple of inches thick with some vermiculite in the middle.

I will hopefully have something more to add soon.

Cheers,

Bevan
      Last edited by Laspaz; 10-27-2013, 11:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Gudday
        Sorry to hear you been unwell, get through the winter the get it in the spring.
        Door sound like a good idea. There are a lot of cool things that you can do without but an insulated door isn't one of them , I recon its a must
        You'll find after a while you make less and less pizza . (No I didn't say you'll sicken of them it, but you'll wait till someone comes around then its on)
        The door expands your oven and you'll find yourself using the heat of the oven more. A pizza nights a good reason to put the door on and bake next day. You don't have to cook pizza though to bake, I often just Flash it up to bake roast and bread rolls for a meal... Less wood required too.
        I'm tring to remember where, but I did see a pretty cool door recently. All steel , handles made out of a welding hammer handle temp gauge, no heat proof paint.
        It had rusted and looked very rustic and fitted the style of oven. I'll try to remember where.
        Regards dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once

My Build
        My Door

Comment

Gudday
          Found that door steel with pearlite insulation
          Pompeii oven construction section thread title "what type of metal for door"
          Page 2 about post 17 I think. Hate this I phone never could make it link anything proper
          Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once

My Build
          My Door

Comment

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the door suggestion. The patina on that one looks pretty sweet! Pretty much what I was thinking on doing, not sure on handles yet.

I don't care too much about how it looks as I am planning on a nice wood weather door to have flush with the front edge of the oven.

Biggest issue is finding a thermometer with a long enough probe. Many of the higher heat range thermometers (like for BBQs) have a short probe. Most of the ones with longer probes have a lower temp range. What would you suggest a useful max temp to be?

Had a great pizza night with family tonight, all were impressed and full belly's all round. Thanks for the forum members contribution

Bevan

Comment

Gudday
              Problem with a metal door is isolating the front from the back. I've seen a few that get pretty hot , and of course the handles as well. Those type remain cool.
              As for the temp gauge the one I'm using at the moment goes to 400C which is plenty. I tend to find I put the door on when the fire dies down usually reads
              350 C. or so. They don't last that well this one due for replacement as its out 50C . This one not permanently mounted it can withdrawn from the door and put to one side,its easy to bend the end of the probe which killed the first one.
              Both had 75mm probes and cost about $12 ea not highly accurate but you gives you a good enough indication of temp without removing the door.
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once

My Build
              My Door

Comment

Hey Bevan,
                Just wanted to say hello to a fellow Kiwi oven builder (well, I'm not a builder yet...still faffing about trying to find materials!)...your oven looks fantastic! I was wondering how those pavers you used for your dome were working? I've found some on trademe that might be suitable, rather than spending $7 a pop on firebricks. Any other hints and suggestions would be valued too...
                Cheers,
                Zoe
                (in Nelson)

Comment

Hi Zoe,

Yep the fired clay pavers are working out very well. Certainly no regrets using them and would not hesitate to use them again next time. I wouldn't waste your money on expensive firebricks.

I am really happy with how the oven turned out after using it all summer. I have no soot on the front on the oven at all, so I guess the flue arrangement I used works really well. I am happy with the size because it cooks pizzas so quick that I couldn't manage more than 2 or 3 at a time anyway.

Every firing I am making lots of pita bread and larger pitas which we use for wraps. Also often throw a fruit crumble in once it cools down for dessert. I still haven't built a door, but do intend to as I see the benefits of doing so.

I will attach a couple of photos showing the condition of the clay pavers and the oven now that I have put the stucco layers on. I am not quite finished yet, but pretty close.

If you have any further questions I am happy to help.

p.s. avoid the fozmex kitsets on trademe!

Bevan
                  Last edited by Laspaz; 03-01-2014, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Hey Bevan,
                    Thanks for the info and the photos...your oven looks like a beauty! Well done! I'm thinking about using these tiles if I can get them on trade me:

Bricks x 1000 approx | Trade Me

What do you reckon? I'd be just using them for the arch of the dome (I'm going to go for a square barrel vault sort of oven rather than the pompeii igloo).
                    Got to dash, will have a look through your build again and see if I have any more questions!
                    Cheers,
                    Zoe.

Comment

I don't see why they wouldn't work, as long as they are clay and not concrete!

Nice and cheap too.

Comment

Originally posted by Laspaz View Post
                        Hi Zoe,

Yep the fired clay pavers are working out very well. Certainly no regrets using them and would not hesitate to use them again next time. I wouldn't waste your money on expensive firebricks.

I am really happy with how the oven turned out after using it all summer. I have no soot on the front on the oven at all, so I guess the flue arrangement I used works really well. I am happy with the size because it cooks pizzas so quick that I couldn't manage more than 2 or 3 at a time anyway.

Every firing I am making lots of pita bread and larger pitas which we use for wraps. Also often throw a fruit crumble in once it cools down for dessert. I still haven't built a door, but do intend to as I see the benefits of doing so.

I will attach a couple of photos showing the condition of the clay pavers and the oven now that I have put the stucco layers on. I am not quite finished yet, but pretty close.

If you have any further questions I am happy to help.

p.s. avoid the fozmex kitsets on trademe!

Bevan
                        Why avoid the fozmex kits ?

Comment

Mainly the insulation of the fozmex kits is very poor. Would probably work ok if you wanted to just have pizza and that's it, but if you want to retain the heat for cooking over the next day / days, then you will want improved insulation.

Also, I looked over their construction guide, and wasn't too impressed. I can't recall specifics, as it was over a year ago, but using cut bits of hose to set the angle of the brick and stuff like that. Again, it works, but either do the job properly or build a cob oven if you want dirty and quick.

Comment

A friend built one from fozmex kit & they're happy with the low heat up time & low wood usage. Means they use it more often than if it took a couple of hours to heat up. Appears like fosmex as a sold over 1000 kits.
                            But my friends while only 5km away live in rural zoning so they can use wood. For me in urban zone Canterbury the building of a lowish thermal mass might be the ONLY way to go since any form of wood oven is banned.
                            Beginning to think about fitting a gas ring burner around the outside of a pizza oven might be an option. Since needs to be gas bulk mass wouldn't be of benefit as could just keep the gas burning at low rate if wanted long cook.
                            But then is it even worth it at all over just using a pizza stone in a hood gas BBQ ?
                            Stupid regulations ! A flimsy 3 legged portable charcoal BBQ is way riskier & smokier but they're acceptable while the WFO isn't. Arrrraagggghhhh
                            Last edited by uk_exile; 01-05-2015, 07:28 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Silly isn't it.

Another solution is one of those pizza bbq inserts that are selling everywhere right now, seems like a metal case with firebrick lining that goes in your bbq. Quick heat up, acceptable pizza, no fire to keep council happy.

Bakerstone Pizza Oven Box | Pizza Ovens - Gas | BBQs Direct

Comment

Very stupid regulation.

We brought a glazed terrcotta pizza plate about 12mths ago & get great results from it. It's way way better than the 30mm thick granite we used to use in electric oven or on gas BBQ (it was the waste cut-out for sink insert).
                                No doubt those boxes are a little bit better than the terracotta plate as get stone heat above too but the plate was about $150 so loathe to replace it so soon. Also we use it with the BBQ hood closed so it's a 300degC oven environment. I see in the link you provided it says use those boxes with BBQ hood open.

Comment

Working...
                                X