New NorCal build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New NorCal build

really just getting started... the closest thing to masonry experience I have is laying paver stones in a 5' by 20' area. And of course that requires zero masonry. But I'm always willing to learn and this forum is invaluable.

I have cooked in Fort Sutter's beehive oven and that made me really appreciate a WFO.

Here's the space where I plan to build it.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=ziCB6vvdCwp

(right click in the window and you can rotate in the scene. click on the ground circles to move from location to location)

It's the former home owner's hot tub area. I figure if it could handle a hot tub full of water and 400+ pounds of people, it should hold a WFO.

Obviously the area is badly overgrown, so job one will be to clear out all of the growth, particularly the tree branches above. I hope to post as I go. And I have a lot of questions (first question will be around cement, hardie board and how that should all come together to form the base).

Re: New NorCal build

So I've cleared out the mess of overhanging trees and other detritus. Also laid down a set of cinderblocks so that I can see what I can fit in.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=w4XHhCvssNr

The footprint is 62" by 70". I'm thinking that is plenty of platform to build a decent sized WFO.

Will not be making progress for a few weeks. Kids spring break, weekends in Yosemite and Cambria (two places where a WFO would be frowned upon! California's fire season will be coming early this year...).

Comment

Welcome proc,

If you haven't yet, you may want to download the free FB plans and read through them prior to constructing your base. Its far easier to put a plan down on paper (or PC) prior to building than figuring out later that you didn't account for your oven entryway depth properly.

Also, take a gander through some of these builds. Should provide inspiration plus an opportunity to glean ideas for elements you want to incorporate into your build.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/n...res-15133.html

Nice 360* view BTW.
      John

Comment

Proc...
        I enjoyed navigating around your space. Looks like an ideal space.

Comment

Thanks. Navigating through spaces like that (you can move from circle to circle as well as spin around) provides a better way to see all of the details. Looking at the pictures from the Hidden Treasures thread (which I have just starting going through!) I can't ever see all of what I want to see (do you need an angle iron on each side of the cinder block? I think so, but if I could get to the inside, I'd know for sure....).

I have downloaded and looked at the plans, which are tremendously helpful. I wanted to lay out the cinderblock footprint as I wanted to see exactly what would fit into the hole around the deck (there is some electrical tubing and a pipe in the way of filling the whole space). Will need to rework the plans now that I know my maximum space.

Comment

Hello Proc

There are a number of ways of doing the block stand. Some use angle iron to support the blocks across the front opening. I did not have any blocks across the opening I just reinforced the slab with rebar. Others cast an arch instead of blocks. Depends on the width of your opening.

David

Comment

Time to work on the next step and I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer. The instructions say that an angle iron should be used that is 3/8" thick. Seems that all I find at the local big box hardware store is 11 gauge which looks to be a lot less than 3/8" thick.

Shop The Hillman Group 6-ft x 2-in Hot-RolLED Weldable Steel Solid Angle at Lowes.com

Is this usable? Should I source something more heavy duty? And if so, any suggestions where it could be sourced?

Comment

It should be fine for lintels installed front and back. Do you know of any old bed rails that someone may have laying around?
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I was lucky, a friend of mine was working on The Landmark @ One Market (built in 1916, but probably materials from the 70's) and was able to pull some irons out of the trash. They are insanely heavy, you can see them in the link below.

I have it all stacked up now. Cement and rebar go in next weekend.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=9fNusf1RRSZ

Comment

proc,

That matterport look like some cool software. The FB plans show cutting a cut out or recess at least on the front and bottom edges of the CMUs that will make up the lintel. That lets the angle iron sit flush with the front of your stand. That will help later when covering your stand with something decorative.

-Alex

Comment

Yes, I see the wisdom in offsetting the cinder so that the lintels can snug right in and keep the blocks flush with each other.

What tool would you use to cut that away?

Comment

I poured my lintels because I didn't want to mess with cutting the CMUs, so I can't really tell you the proper way to cut em. But, I have seen some use a dry masonry blade in a circular saw or in an angle grinder. The circular saw would give you the advantage of being able to set the correct depth and then just make a temporary fence or template to guide your cut. The angle grinder would be a little more free-hand but nobody will see it anyway. Either way, wear hearing and eye protection and a respiratory mask, those dry blades kick up a ton of dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                          It should be fine for lintels installed front and back. Do you know of any old bed rails that someone may have laying around?
                          That's funny Gulf... I didn't know others used these. I saved a pair of bed rails, planned to use them (didn't think I needed them when I actually poured my slab) but discarded them.

Proc, That looks like a nice big area, well suited for an oven. But with all that brick, how big is your actual oven going to be (internal dimensions / final dimensions)?

Also, it may help as others have let me know, it is good to have the floor of your oven at belly button or elbow height. It looks like you may be stepping down in that open area to work your pizza / food? If not, it appears that your oven may be quite low compared to the surrounding decking. You may want to do a cardboard mockup of the final height to see if it is where you want it.
                          Last edited by almondsurf; 05-12-2015, 06:38 AM.

Comment

It's definitely a large space. The platform will be 62" by 70", intentionally a bit wider so that I can have some space along the sides. I did think about leaving a hole on one corner for a kegerator tap tower (electricity is already run out there) but that might be a bit adventurous.

I envision stepping down to place and pull from the oven. I'm not too concerned about the height. I'm more concerned that this pizza oven / fall out shelter will be enormously out of scale.

My assumption is that the bricks plus insulation / stucco on the dome would be about 9" (I forget where I cooked up that number, but it seems a little wide). That would leave a maximum interior radius of 44".

Once I get the platform sorted, I need to think about whether I want to go with the FB 110 kit or go it on my own. I wonder if I really need 4 boards, 3 layers of insulation, etc. (which is roughly half of the cost of the kit). Or could I build a thicker vermicrete pad under it and use a single blanket as it is meant to cover a 43" dome. Can an FB Board be cut? If my geometry is correct, two boards should be able to cover the space under a 43" dome. Maybe...
                            Last edited by proc; 05-13-2015, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Filling some of the columns with rebar & cement seems the next step. Any problem with taking this product

Shop QUIKRETE 60 -lb Gray High Strength Concrete Mix at Lowes.com

and mixing it in a wheelbarrow and shoveling it into the columns that need it? How tough is it to get it from shovel to cinder? Wondering if I need an industrial grade victorian collar.

Comment

Working...
                              X