Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enclosure

What is a proven way to enclose an oven in the northeast USA
    We are using a stone veneer for a rustic look and are concerned with keeping the oven dry. Do we use all block or steel studs with some type of hardy board? I know this was probably discussed a million times, however maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Kenny

Re: Enclosure

If you properly insulate an oven, then wood framing is fine...I did it on a bunch of ovens, but metal stud framing or a block enclosure is piece of mind. When you say stone veneer, do you mean natural stone? Full thickness bedded stone (4"-8") or adhered veneer (1"-2"). Or are you using manufactured stone ( concrete molded). For Any of those, you sheath the framing with 1/2" Duroc. Don't use Hardiboard..it's not rated for outdoor use.

Where are you in jersey?
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Looks like a stone veneer. The Contractor wants to use block all the way up and then the veneer. Im not sure what is right. I am in north NJ I see your a Mason PM me if you can help

Thanks

http://dutchqualitystone.com/downloa...2nd%20Prtg.pdf

Comment

I see from the link it's manufactured stone. Block and veneer is fine if that's what he does.
        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

OK and what about water proofing tar paint? Roof out block also? weep holes?

Comment

Originally posted by chillcoolcold View Post
            OK and what about water proofing tar paint? Roof out block also? weep holes?
            Tar paint? Weeps? For what? Adhered veneer isn't cavity wall construction, so those things aren't needed or even necessary. I'm not sure what you mean by roof out block.
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Unless you suffer monsoons, the mass of adhered veneer+CMU will probably be adequate waterproofing for the walls. For the roof you will want metal or clay tile or shingles.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                Tar paint? Weeps? For what? Adhered veneer isn't cavity wall construction, so those things aren't needed or even necessary. I'm not sure what you mean by roof out block.
                This is why I stick with HVACR for a living (hence the user name). He said he could build the roof out of anything I wanted. Something about stepping in the block? I don't know here is a pic of what I'm looking for

Click image for larger version

Name:	86%20oven.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	308231

Click image for larger version

Name:	d58e02ea32a64cce3f19565aabc7bf6e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	308232

Comment

Ok, got it. That's called a hip roof and what he's talking about is corbling the block. I'm not sure why he would do that when the roof could be framed, sheathed and shingled with anything.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Then will frame it thank you!

anything on insulation I was going to cover the ceramic blanket with vermiculite concrete and dump the loose stuff in after the walls are up

Comment

I am doing pretty much the same thing for my enclosure. I'm working on the metal framing using 18ga steel studs. After framed, will cover with Duroc. The veneer stone manufacturer recommends sealing the cement board,not sure what the sealer is called. There are a few videos about veneer stone on cement board as well as over cmu block. I am finding the steel framing quite a challenge for the hip style, angles and such. I'm using 18ga because of the weight of the stone and cement board which is about 15lbs per square foot. That's manufactured stone. Good luck.

Leigh

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                        Unless you suffer monsoons, the mass of adhered veneer+CMU will probably be adequate waterproofing for the walls. For the roof you will want metal or clay tile or shingles.
                        Is there any benefit to using the steel studs and cement board for walls?

Comment

It doesn't mold, warp or burn.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

But it does rust, and I have never been sliced open by a board.

Comment

I was comparing the steel frame and cement board to block construction

I was going to go with block on the vertical walls, insulate the dome with ceramic blanket and aluminum foil then scratch coat dome with a stucco base coat, fill enclosure with vermiculite then roofing. Any good? anything I should add?

Comment

Working...
                              X