• Show
Clear All

• gugahulk
    replied
    Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    [ATTACH]n355585[/ATTACH]

image_53056.jpg

Looks great,

The only thing i would have done a little differently is to round off the corners where the cable goes from the wall to the ceiling, This would distribute the load a little better and not be such a point load on the brick.,

it looks like the stainless worked out fine, and it appears that you have done several curing fires. Has anything been cooked during the curing fires?
    Thanks Chip, I wish I had more time but it does not stop raining here. rain every single day. I have done a feel fires but it still feels moisture inside. I did get a hairline crack on the front of the oven but I should be find. I am still making little fires. The oven stinks like wood burned fire. Is that normal? Everytime I put a little fire my hole clothes stinks and so does my hand.... LOL Could I have been burnning the wrong kind of wood? Is my wood not seasoned enough? Also since I am making only little, little fires my dome is completly black on top and all sides. Once I fire it up for real will it all clear even though it being accumulated from all my little fires? I am starting to work on the chimney and front of the oven. Any advice?

And no cooking yet. I feel like my food will not taste so good as the smoke is tremendous coming out of the oven. And overwhelming smell of burn wood.
    Last edited by gugahulk; 07-20-2015, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_53056.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	355585

image_53056.jpg

Looks great,

The only thing i would have done a little differently is to round off the corners where the cable goes from the wall to the ceiling, This would distribute the load a little better and not be such a point load on the brick.,

it looks like the stainless worked out fine, and it appears that you have done several curing fires. Has anything been cooked during the curing fires?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mrchipster; 07-20-2015, 07:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied
    Making some progress, my buttressing drama is now over! Thanks to Mr Chip! I have the perfect solution, which will not ad any mass to my WFO and it is not going anywhere. See images below. Thanks for this chip, I owe you one... :-)

Leave a comment:

• william
    replied
    Re: Work of Love and Passion... Miami FL

I wouldn't use any logs at this point if you intend on curing your oven
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by gugahulk View Post
    Started curing the oven, I really need help on starting a fire. I really suck at it. Any one an expert? I just bought fatwood fire started, is that good? Can I use it as a fire started on the oven? You have no idea how much I suck at it, last night took me 30min to start the fire with a cooking torch.
    Wet ovens are hard to keep lit.

Go low and slow with your curing fires over 5 - 7 days.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Two big logs on the sides. Crumple newspaper into balls, about 8-10 sheets, place between logs. Pick up twigs from the yard, a good three handfuls. Place on top of newspaper. 4-5 finger thick, 6-10" long sticks on top of them, then 3-4 2-4" sticks. One more big log across the top

Light with one match, walk away.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Started curing the oven, I really need help on starting a fire. I really suck at it. Any one an expert? I just bought fatwood fire started, is that good? Can I use it as a fire started on the oven? You have no idea how much I suck at it, last night took me 30min to start the fire with a cooking torch.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Closed the dome, doing the endwalls inside the dome is very difficult, it also made me lay the bricks not as perfect as I wanted, however I know this will make them very strong. So, I took the challenge on. I know alot of people would not bother doing this, but since many expert members told me this is the best way I went for it. But its very, very difficult and trick to do it. I am ok with the bricks not being perfect on top as they will not be visible in the end. But it sure bothers me alot.
    Last edited by gugahulk; 07-08-2015, 06:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Delicious looking ribs, GHulk. Great! smoke ring. They do look moist and tender. Spares were $1.98 a pound this weekend, so there was no baby backs for the Fourth this year.

I've played with the oven for smoking a little for adding some smoke flavor. Using the oven's residual heat for the temp and using some smoldering chips. This is an old pic of some cherry chips in a ss basket. In the ss doggie bowl is lump charcoal with onion peels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Onion 008.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	472.3 KB
ID:	308978

I have to leave the door backed off to keep the smoke moving. I've had a little better results smoking in the entry, but I haven't got any pics of that. I've played with using the left over lump from heating the oven and larger preheated chunks with mixed results.

My best results for the oven with ribs, briskets, and roasts has been to use the oven for finishing. Not for smoking. Saturdays ribs were smoked on my offset grill at 220 to 225F for 3.5 hours. I then wrapped and placed them in the WFO at about 300F for a little over an hour while I cooked the chicken on the Webers. The spares turned out pretty darn good .

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

Hello Gugahulk

Had a great 4th. Hope yours was good as well.

The Ribs look real good.

I have done some in my oven but I am not sure about the smoke ring. Mine did not look as meaty as the ones in your photos.
    I did them wrapped in foil at 290 degrees for 6 hours. They fell off the bone. My first attempt at ribs at home.

Did Pita Bread, Chicken, Bread, Baked Beans, a Box cake then a Boston Butt over the weekend on one firing.

There is a roasting section on the Forum and I believe someone had a small smoking fire going for their ribs.

David

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Hope everyone had a happy 4th of July weekend! No time to work on my oven however did have some time to make a killer Baby Back Ribs. I have perfected the art of Baby Back Ribs. Here is my question, does anyone make Baby Backs on the oven? If so does it come out good? Get you get a smoke ring on the oven? I am dying to know and if anyone has any info please provide.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by gugahulk View Post
    Making some good progress, but this weekend was my birthday so had to go spearfishing with my buddies at work. I was able to complete the Front arch, I not the way I envision but happy with the results. Here is my question!

I bought some insulating firebricks. I plan to use them in front of my arch making a larger arch separating the vault completely from the front part of the oven. My question is, if I do this some parts of the insulating bricks will be exposed to air. and my food will go under it on its way to the oven vault. I have read some crazy thing about these bricks dust. Will this poison my food in any way? Will this harm the food I will be cooking on as it will pass under it every time its going in and out of the oven? Should I use refractory mortar to cover the outer part of the bricks so its not exposed to the food?
    Once the bricks are in place there should be no dust.
    Brick dust is unsafe to inhale, ok to ingest, but don't make a meal of it.
    Insulating firebricks don't stand up well to abrasion, they may get knocked around at the entry.

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

Hello Gugahulk

Looking good.

It looks like you are going to have to reach a fair way to get to your cooking area. It may be an illusion but it looks a long way.

David

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by DavidApp View Post
    Hello Gugahulk

Very neat brick work.

I had to use small spacers to keep my joints even. I know it is cheating but I am no brick mason.

Keep up the good work. You will be cooking in no time.

On the wood front have you contacted any local wood fired Barbecue places to see where they get their wood.

David
    thanks David. NO wood contact yet. Focusing on finish the oven first and worry about wood later.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Making some good progress, I can almost see the shape it will be once its done.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X