replied
    Re: Work of Love and Passion... Miami FL

Like this:

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Only in a minor fashion, but enough to hold it. When I was building the chimney, I stacked 20-30 brick on top of the vault, along with refractory cement and myself.
    So this pictures the way you shown here does not need any buttressing? If you stake 30 bricks on top of the dome isn't that making the forces push down even more on the sizes? I am not understanding your concept. If you can explain better would be great as I am in need of help on the buttressing I just don't understand the concept.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Only in a minor fashion, but enough to hold it. When I was building the chimney, I stacked 20-30 brick on top of the vault, along with refractory cement and myself.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

That is how I did my floor, it works just fine.
    you really put me at ease now. A pro like you did it why should I... Thanks you just made my day as I could not stop thinking about anything else. I have a question for you. Saw your post and I am a big fan of your build. You did not do any buttressing did you? Was there any need? I am planning on making 4 straight side wall brick course than a flatter arch. Your arch is more like an ark. Is this why you did not do any buttressing?

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

That is how I did my floor, it works just fine.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    No need to redo. Unless you wanted a herringbone design. As long as your peel strikes the floor brick at a 45 degree angle, your golden. Your floor pattern will work just fine .
    Thanks for this, I am just so upset I made this mistake. But I think I will go with this design. Not sure. But thanks for reassuring me I am ok.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    Your pattern is not a herringbone but it does the same thing with regard to brick orientation so your pattern is fine. Ovens do not experience linear horizontal forces so the bricks being lined up is not a big issue.

What is that foil? Under the brick?

Take the 3 bricks - front right and make them into 2 per drawing.
    Thanks Chip, yes I was going for the herringbone design but I should have researched more how it really was. I can not believe I did this mistake. I am so upset about it. The foil under the bricks is just a support holder of Styrofoam board I bought for template of the door nothing else, it will not be use. Right now is on top of a pallet. I didn't want to lay on the floor and brake my back.

Thanks for the tips on the dual brake. Its a perfect solution and I will work on it tonight.

How ever I am so upset about the pattern, stupid mistake. But the whole purpose of this was not to get my peal stuck so I guess I am ok... I might just leave it how it us and move on. The forms still on as you can see in picture below.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by gugahulk View Post
    But isn't the pattern wrong? Should i redo it?
    No need to redo. Unless you wanted a herringbone design. As long as your peel strikes the floor brick at a 45 degree angle, your golden. Your floor pattern will work just fine .
    Last edited by Gulf; 06-15-2015, 06:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Your pattern is not a herringbone but it does the same thing with regard to brick orientation so your pattern is fine. Ovens do not experience linear horizontal forces so the bricks being lined up is not a big issue.

What is that foil? Under the brick?

Take the 3 bricks - front right and make them into 2 per drawing.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 06-15-2015, 06:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

It looks fine to me, but for the little triangle in the very front right. Better to break bond and split the difference with two larger pieces, especially right in the area with the most use.
    But isn't the pattern wrong? Should i redo it?

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

It looks fine to me, but for the little triangle in the very front right. Better to break bond and split the difference with two larger pieces, especially right in the area with the most use.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Finished laying the floor. But i am afraid I did this totally wrong?

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    This would require buttressing of the side walls because of the outward forces of a flatter dome.
    Thanks chip. This is just what I needed. Can elaborate on buttressing? Brickie talks about but he does not do it. I will have zero support and i am not building a house. The side walls will stand alone.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

The golden number is door height 63% of dome height,

Usually people decide on a dome size or in your case vault height. And then make the door to fit.

A 9 inch door would be a 14.25 dome height
    An 11 inch door would be a 17.5 dome height.

The width of the doorway is something that does not affect the performance of the oven, so your choice on that.

My doorway is a true arc and it is just wide enough to get my largest paella (21 inch) cast iron pan in. Of course the handles need to be aligned with the door or it will not fit. But that is not a problem because in order to push it in or. Pull it out I. Need to drag it with a hook with one of the handles.

Because you are building a vault - barrel you may want to consider vertical walls for the. First few layers of brick, then a flatter than hemisphere domed roof.

This would require buttressing of the side walls because of the outward forces of a flatter dome.

I have not researched Ratios of wall height and dome arch for this style so others may want to chime in on this.

You have already read Brickie's posts so I believe you know what is required for buttressing.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 06-14-2015, 07:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Hi guys. Thanks for all the replies on the wood and chain saw safety.

I now have some time as I am waiting for forno bravo to ship to me the ceramic boards. I am planning for my door to be 9 inches or 11 inches tall. What is the standard? I want it to be small as possible but large enough to fit a baby pig and my thanksgiving turkey. Love to hear how tall your doors are. Also if my door is 9 or 11 inches. How tall should my roof dome be?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X