X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gugahulk
    replied
    Re: Work of Love and Passion... Miami FL

I need your help guys, does anyone knows where I can buy the 2 items below? Ceramic Fiber tape and also insulating brick? I can find them anywhere here in Miami, and Online I did not have any luck either. Any help would be great.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Many people have gotten the ceramic board wet without serious problems. But that said it is better to keep it dry if for no other reason than to speed the drying - curing process along.

I built a 2x4 and plywood roof over mine while i buiflt, it initially had a granular roll roofing for waterproofing but I even put a temp metal roof on because I was at the lumber yard and they had 2 dented pieces they gave me for $15 so I had a standing ssam temporary metal roof that I threw out in the end.

It was a simple shed style you can see in some of my photos.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    It has set long enough to get wet. Not a problem. Just try to keep extra weight off of the cantilevers for awhile. Wet is ok now and until you start putting insulation and brick down.

You clearly need a better cover for when you start to lay bricks this could have been much worse if you had just set 40-50 bricks today.
    Thanks Chip, wow... I was about to cry when I saw that all broken, $100 bucks out the drain. Any recommendation on how to keep it dry? I can not use the canopy anymore so I am not sure what to do so this does not happen. I am thinking about covering it up every time I finish laying some bricks. Its the only way I can think it will be strong enough. Also once I start with the insulation on the floor the oven can never get wet until I seal it with stucco right?

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

It has set long enough to get wet. Not a problem. Just try to keep extra weight off of the cantilevers for awhile. Wet is ok now and until you start putting insulation and brick down.

You clearly need a better cover for when you start to lay bricks this could have been much worse if you had just set 40-50 bricks today.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 06-07-2015, 08:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Disaster stoke my project today. Came home to the picture below. It rained so much that it broke the brand new canopi i bought for the project and the brand new concrete it set on thursday got wet. Very wet.

Now i ask you guys for advice. I set the comcrete thursday. This happen today. Everything looks ok on the top of the concrete. Anything I should do? I just covered it up with a tarp now. Will i be ok? Should I be worried?
    Last edited by gugahulk; 06-08-2015, 09:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

You have a significant cantilever to your design which is a weak point. You need to leave your forms on and keep them moist for the entire 7 days and if it were me I would keep the supports under your slab in place for 2 weeks before pulling them. You should be able to begin putting down your insulation layer, oven floor and build your dome forms while it is curing as that will not be causing any issues with the slab. Just be careful not to put any extra load on the cantilever portion and do not drag anything across the top surface for at least 72 hours.

Read the following and remember by flat work they mean fully supported like a floor on the ground.

Formed concrete. The best way to cure formed concrete walls is to leave the forms in place as long as practical - a minimum of three days is best. The formwork holds in moisture and, in cold weather, heat. In hot weather, keep the forms hosed down to control temperature and reduce moisture evaporation from the concrete. Any exposed concrete, such as the top of a concrete wall, should be covered with plastic or sprayed with curing compound. If the forms are stripped earlier than three days, the concrete should be either covered with plastic for several days or sprayed with curing compound. There are some obvious practical considerations here. The idea is to allow the concrete to cure for a reasonable length of time, yet not delay the rest of the job.

How Long to Cure? The answer to this question is the longer the better. Concrete will continue to hydrate and gain strength almost indefinitely as long as moisture is present and a suitable temperature is maintained. Try drilling or jackhammering 30-year-old concrete and you'll see what I mean. If concrete is cured in cool temperatures (32?F to 50?F), strength gain will be slow but the concrete will eventually reach a high strength as long as moisture is continuously present. However, concrete should not be allowed to get hotter than 90?F or to dry out during the curing period. If the concrete dries out too early in the hydration process (within the first three days), long-term strength will be compromised even if moist conditions return. If your intention is to produce the highest quality concrete, keep freshly poured concrete moist at 50?F to 90?F for seven days for Types I or II portland cement ("regular" concrete) or for three days if Type III cement (highearly, or rapid-hardening) or accelerators are used.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

,Do not pull your forms tonight!!!

For things to do in the next week before the forms come off read this post and other posts by "Brickie in oz"

One of the best barrel ovens out there and fantastic looking stone work. His design does not include a reveal for the door, he uses a flue damper, this is the only thing I would change is the door design. But he has his reasons for the way he built it and it seems to work well.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f44/...two-15241.html
    Thanks Chip, I will for sure!

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

,Do not pull your forms tonight!!!

For things to do in the next week before the forms come off read this post and other posts by "Brickie in oz"

One of the best barrel ovens out there and fantastic looking stone work. His design does not include a reveal for the door, he uses a flue damper, this is the only thing I would change is the door design. But he has his reasons for the way he built it and it seems to work well.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f44/...two-15241.html
    Last edited by mrchipster; 06-05-2015, 08:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Nicely done, now cover it up to let it cure, and sit back for a week or so and contemplate, brick cutting, mortaring, and pizza.
    Thanks Chip, Man I have to wait a week? What would be the minimum time? Believe it or not I was thinking about taking the forms out tonight, I thought 24hrs is plenty. But I will follow your advices. My previous projects had support on the floor that said there so the only worries was the sides and 24hrs was plenty for them to stay put. But this is my first time doing one with zero support and it will be "footing" on the sides. So not sure what to expect. Advices would be great.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Nicely done, now cover it up to let it cure, and sit back for a week or so and contemplate, brick cutting, mortaring, and pizza.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Job done. So happy it worked all out. Thanks for all the support. No rain thank God!
    Last edited by gugahulk; 06-05-2015, 06:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Get a fairly good sized tarp. String something similar to a close line over the middle of your pour. The tarp in place over the hearth (like a pup tent) will give your pour some protection while your placing the concrete.

I hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Guys I got a big problem! Need advice, I have not choice but to put the concrete on the rain today! Any advice, I can not postpone it! It must be done. Any help will be great.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Sorry to alarm! I thought you were asking for advice. Good luck with the pour.
    Its all good buddy, thanks for the input. I appriciate it and if I had more 2x4 i would put it. But as you know $$$ is always an issue.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by gugahulk View Post
    I actually stood on top of the form yesterday and jumped on it. I weight 215lbs and all ok. So I am hopping it will survive the concrete murder pour!
    Sorry to alarm! I thought you were asking for advice. Good luck with the pour.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X