Work of Love and Passion... Miami FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Work of Love and Passion... Miami FL

You have a significant cantilever to your design which is a weak point. You need to leave your forms on and keep them moist for the entire 7 days and if it were me I would keep the supports under your slab in place for 2 weeks before pulling them. You should be able to begin putting down your insulation layer, oven floor and build your dome forms while it is curing as that will not be causing any issues with the slab. Just be careful not to put any extra load on the cantilever portion and do not drag anything across the top surface for at least 72 hours.

Read the following and remember by flat work they mean fully supported like a floor on the ground.

Formed concrete. The best way to cure formed concrete walls is to leave the forms in place as long as practical - a minimum of three days is best. The formwork holds in moisture and, in cold weather, heat. In hot weather, keep the forms hosed down to control temperature and reduce moisture evaporation from the concrete. Any exposed concrete, such as the top of a concrete wall, should be covered with plastic or sprayed with curing compound. If the forms are stripped earlier than three days, the concrete should be either covered with plastic for several days or sprayed with curing compound. There are some obvious practical considerations here. The idea is to allow the concrete to cure for a reasonable length of time, yet not delay the rest of the job.

How Long to Cure? The answer to this question is the longer the better. Concrete will continue to hydrate and gain strength almost indefinitely as long as moisture is present and a suitable temperature is maintained. Try drilling or jackhammering 30-year-old concrete and you'll see what I mean. If concrete is cured in cool temperatures (32?F to 50?F), strength gain will be slow but the concrete will eventually reach a high strength as long as moisture is continuously present. However, concrete should not be allowed to get hotter than 90?F or to dry out during the curing period. If the concrete dries out too early in the hydration process (within the first three days), long-term strength will be compromised even if moist conditions return. If your intention is to produce the highest quality concrete, keep freshly poured concrete moist at 50?F to 90?F for seven days for Types I or II portland cement ("regular" concrete) or for three days if Type III cement (highearly, or rapid-hardening) or accelerators are used.
    Chip

Comment

Disaster stoke my project today. Came home to the picture below. It rained so much that it broke the brand new canopi i bought for the project and the brand new concrete it set on thursday got wet. Very wet.

Now i ask you guys for advice. I set the comcrete thursday. This happen today. Everything looks ok on the top of the concrete. Anything I should do? I just covered it up with a tarp now. Will i be ok? Should I be worried?
      Last edited by gugahulk; 06-08-2015, 09:00 AM.
      Best Regards...
      Gugahulk!

My Build...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...-fl-21793.html

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME
      Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.
      STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!

Comment

It has set long enough to get wet. Not a problem. Just try to keep extra weight off of the cantilevers for awhile. Wet is ok now and until you start putting insulation and brick down.

You clearly need a better cover for when you start to lay bricks this could have been much worse if you had just set 40-50 bricks today.
        Last edited by mrchipster; 06-07-2015, 08:06 PM.
        Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
          It has set long enough to get wet. Not a problem. Just try to keep extra weight off of the cantilevers for awhile. Wet is ok now and until you start putting insulation and brick down.

You clearly need a better cover for when you start to lay bricks this could have been much worse if you had just set 40-50 bricks today.
          Thanks Chip, wow... I was about to cry when I saw that all broken, $100 bucks out the drain. Any recommendation on how to keep it dry? I can not use the canopy anymore so I am not sure what to do so this does not happen. I am thinking about covering it up every time I finish laying some bricks. Its the only way I can think it will be strong enough. Also once I start with the insulation on the floor the oven can never get wet until I seal it with stucco right?
          Best Regards...
          Gugahulk!

My Build...

Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.

Comment

Many people have gotten the ceramic board wet without serious problems. But that said it is better to keep it dry if for no other reason than to speed the drying - curing process along.

I built a 2x4 and plywood roof over mine while i buiflt, it initially had a granular roll roofing for waterproofing but I even put a temp metal roof on because I was at the lumber yard and they had 2 dented pieces they gave me for $15 so I had a standing ssam temporary metal roof that I threw out in the end.

It was a simple shed style you can see in some of my photos.
            Chip

Comment

I need your help guys, does anyone knows where I can buy the 2 items below? Ceramic Fiber tape and also insulating brick? I can find them anywhere here in Miami, and Online I did not have any luck either. Any help would be great.
              Best Regards...
              Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Good Day1

If you looking for Fire Bricks, try Cemex! I live in Orlando and bought mine from there. You can call the one below and ask if they carry them or ask which Cemex plant does. Good Luck!

Sorry, but I'm not to sure where to find the Ceramic tape. If you trying to find something to hold the Ceramic Fiber blanket together, most people on the forum use chicken wire over the blanket and dome. Good Luck!

Cemex South Miami Ready Mix

4508 SW 72nd Avenue
                Miami 33155,Florida
                Phone: 305-666-3305
                305-558-0315

Comment

I bought my fiber tape at skylinecomponents.com and you may find the brick at larkinrefractory.com
                  Last edited by NCMan; 06-09-2015, 10:45 AM.
                  My Build:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

try a pottery supply store a good one will sell a many different types of refractory materials
                    Bill

Comment

Sorry I meant to say ceramic supply. They will sell insulating bricks although not good for oven building
                      Bill

Comment

Hello Gugahulk

Were you looking for the insulating brick for insulation or the hearth and Barrel.
                        If it is for the hearth and barrel you need Fire Bricks not insulating bricks.

David

Comment

Originally posted by DavidApp View Post
                          Hello Gugahulk

Were you looking for the insulating brick for insulation or the hearth and Barrel.

David
                          No david. Not at all what I mean. As you can see below I have 600 firebricks ready to go. I will post another picture of insulating brick as used by brickie on his post.
                          Last edited by gugahulk; 06-10-2015, 07:38 PM.
                          Best Regards...
                          Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Originally posted by DavidApp View Post
                            Hello Gugahulk

David
                            Here is a picture showing firebricks and insulated bricks. What it does is stop the heat getting to the front of the oven bricks. It basically stops heat from leaving the valt. See below.
                            Best Regards...
                            Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
                              I bought my fiber tape at skylinecomponents.com and you may find the brick at larkinrefractory.com
                              Thanks for this information NCMan, This is just what I needed. I have a question for all Members. As you can see on this link Firebricks there many different type of firebricks you can purchase. How do I know I have to correct ones? I just got 600 firebricks and I need to make 100% they are the correct ones. Is there a type of test I can do on the firebricks to make sure they are correct? Kindly let me know. I look forward to everyone's reply.
                              Best Regards...
                              Gugahulk!

My Build...

**************************************************

Comment

Low duty is what you want for the floor, in the range of 20-30% Alumina. You can use low or medium or even high duty for the dome, but the low or medium are best.

Skyline sells many of the wrong kind of firebricks for this application, but I am not sure if they sell low duty ones, but I doubt it.

Comment

Working...
                                X