X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kanoer54
    replied
    Re: Work of Love and Passion... Miami FL

To reiterate what Gulf and Mr Chipster has said...I would suggest you get ALL of the safety gear. A good pair of chaps, leather gloves, eye and ear protection, steel toes boots and even a hardhat. Some hard hats come with eye protection. I would also highly suggest taking a chain saw safety class. I don't know about FL but in IL and MO, the local arborists can often point you in the right direction for where to take a class. Sometimes the government offers classes cheap or even free. Reading a book is one thing but having someone show you is a LOT better and safer. There are many ways to cut a tree down but there is only one safe way. My wife is a retired forester and even she has a slash in her chaps.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

You need to seek some local knowledge about what is what in the timber world in your area. With some knowledge and experience your chainsaw will tell you what is hard and what is soft.
    Safety is really key with saws, you will only get one chance at it. I harvested timber and milled it and have 10 digits, I know plenty with less than that. Take every precaution with chainsaws and get some knowledge from whatever source that you trust about how to use them safely.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by gugahulk View Post
    As always thanks for the reply guys. You are freaking me out with the safety. But i think i can handle it just fine. I hope. But i still need your help. My buddy probably does not know what wood for me to get. So my question is. Is there any way of identifying soft wood and hard wood. This is all i hear all the time but i cant seem to find out what the really means. I know oak is hard wood and pine is soft wood. But dont know how i would identify any of those woods in the wood. Sorry for my ignorance but i truly have zero experience on this as wood was never needed in my household.
    Here is a start. Trees & Shubs of Florida.

You mentioned in your earlier post about using trees that have already fallen. The first year that I had my oven, that is all that I used. (That gave me a year to fully season the live cut trees) Selecting mostly the limbs from these trees that had not touched the ground. If it is not too far along in decay, and has not picked up any insects, this type wood is ready to burn. I also selected new "wind falls". Limbs that have fallen during a recent storm. They are usually limbs that were dead well before the storm, and have already had plenty of dry time. Even the very small branches of this type wood is easy to snap by hand into starter tender .

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Safety issues aside, it doesn't matter what wood you burn. Seasoned oak is best, but it all burns and even resinous wood is OK for the initial burns.

Just remember you generally only get to make one mistake with a chainsaw.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    I might add an additional declarative statement that sort of agrees with Gulf.

Chainsaws are dangerous if they can cut through a piece of 10 inch dry oak in 6 seconds.... Which mine can. Just think what they can do to a leg, arm or hand in a split second.

One other thing, the smaller the chain saw the more dangerous it is because it is more likely to kick. And if you do not know what a chain saw kick is you should not have one in your hands.
    As always thanks for the reply guys. You are freaking me out with the safety. But i think i can handle it just fine. I hope. But i still need your help. My buddy probably does not know what wood for me to get. So my question is. Is there any way of identifying soft wood and hard wood. This is all i hear all the time but i cant seem to find out what the really means. I know oak is hard wood and pine is soft wood. But dont know how i would identify any of those woods in the wood. Sorry for my ignorance but i truly have zero experience on this as wood was never needed in my household.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

I might add an additional declarative statement that sort of agrees with Gulf.

Chainsaws are dangerous if they can cut through a piece of 10 inch dry oak in 6 seconds.... Which mine can. Just think what they can do to a leg, arm or hand in a split second.

One other thing, the smaller the chain saw the more dangerous it is because it is more likely to kick. And if you do not know what a chain saw kick is you should not have one in your hands.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

First and foremost. Chainsaws are dangerous! Before you do anything else, make sure that you are comfortable with the safety warnings in the saw owners manual. It would not hurt to get some first hand tutoring from someone who is experienced with a saw.

Gathering wood on any federal or state owned land (in my area) is strictly forbidden without a permit. And, the permits are only good for designated areas. You need to check your local laws. Any local park rangers office can help you with that.

You mentioned cutting wood on a friend's farm. Maybe, he can help you with hardwood or fruitwood identification. If not, he may be able to introduce you to a local that does.

Hardwood, nut, and fruitwood are the only wood that I use in my WFO, smokers and grills. They are plentiful in my area. Many, from other areas, use other woods (pine and other conifers) for heating WFOs and then switch to hardwood for cooking. On some BBQ sites that I frequent, I've seen talk about an interesting invasive species of wood to Florida. I think ya'll call it "Australian Pine". From what I understand, your state has declared war on it. Some "free wood" folks swear by it for cooking. Some don't. But, it ought to be OK for heating a WFO.

You may want to start your hoard of wood by searching on craigslist, or by buying from some "trusted" local suppliers, just until you become schooled.

You will eventually become an expert for gathering the cheapest proper wood for your oven that is available your area of the country. But, don't stop on this thread. Keep doing your research on the net. And, keep your eyes out far bargain wood: Sawmills, furniture shops, tree trimmers etc.

And don't forget, chainsaws are dangerous! .

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Hi Everyone, I really need help with this one as I have no idea what I am doing or looking for. I am born and raised in Miami. Never seen snow or experienced any time of fire or firewood. I just purchased a chain saw to try to harvest some wood in a friend's farm. However I have no idea what I am doing.
    Can I cut any tree down and collect the wood?

Is it ok to use dead trees that are on the floor?

Should I avoid any type of tree? if so how do I know what tree it is as they all look the same to me. Remember no experience at all.

Also there are alot of parks and other places I can collect wood that are dead on that floor, is this ok to do or is there a law that you can not take wood from parks and streets?

Please treat me like a total 5yr old. I have absolutely no clue what I am doing. buying wood will be so expensive for me and I will not use the oven as much so I really need help. Unfortunately I am on a stand still waiting for my ceramic boards to arrive from Forno Bravo so I have no choice but to find something to do and this is the plan for this weekend. I would really appreciate any help from anyone I have ZERO knowledge on this.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    425 in a half pallet, 850 in a full, actually, or 300 in a cube. Don't know about the small ones. We rail them in so for maximum capacity, they send half pallets on top of wholes. We only get cubes in the rare instance we have to truck them in. We go through 4 or 5 railcars a year.
    Here in Miami they come in 725 per pallet. I got a great deal for $165 for all 600 firebricks so how can I possibly say no to that? Good to have connections in the brick department, my customer really took good care of me. I can not complain as each firebrick here cost $1.65 and getting it for $0.27 is a crazy deal.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I stand corrected. We don't get many railcars way out here .

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

425 in a half pallet, 850 in a full, actually, or 300 in a cube. Don't know about the small ones. We rail them in so for maximum capacity, they send half pallets on top of wholes. We only get cubes in the rare instance we have to truck them in. We go through 4 or 5 railcars a year.
    Last edited by Tscarborough; 06-11-2015, 05:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
    Let me try this again, w/an update. 450? You've piqued my curiosity now.
    At 600 per a pallet, I'm guessing that they are the 8.25"X4"X2.5". I think that the 9" standard come in a 500 count pallet.

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

Originally posted by gugahulk View Post
    Wait and see My friend! I have an amazing design for this oven! Its my grand finally so has to be better than my other 2 creations!... LOL... hahaha...
    Sounds like a great one in the making!! Looking forward to it.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
    Let me try this again, w/an update. 450?You've piqued my curiosity now.
    Wait and see My friend! I have an amazing design for this oven! Its my grand finally so has to be better than my other 2 creations!... LOL... hahaha...

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

Let me try this again, w/an update. 450? You've piqued my curiosity now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X