Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Work of Love and Passion... Miami FL

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Low duty is what you want for the floor, in the range of 20-30% Alumina. You can use low or medium or even high duty for the dome, but the low or medium are best.

Skyline sells many of the wrong kind of firebricks for this application, but I am not sure if they sell low duty ones, but I doubt it.
    Thanks Tscarborough, but I already bought the bricks, is there any way I can find out what they are? or no other way? I am stuck with it? Can I run some type of test?
    Best Regards...
    Gugahulk!

My Build...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...-fl-21793.html

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME
    Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.
    STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!

Comment

Low duty is what you want for the floor, in the range of 20-30% Alumina. You can use low or medium or even high duty for the dome, but the low or medium are best.
      Ok, I am not a chemist, so Here is the information for my firebrick that I got from the manufacture. Does anyone understand this information? Its like Chinese to me. Please let me know if you understand any of this.

Last edited by gugahulk; 06-11-2015, 09:00 AM.
      Best Regards...
      Gugahulk!

My Build...

Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.

Comment

You are good to go. 27.6% alumina
        Last edited by mrchipster; 06-11-2015, 09:21 AM.
        Chip

Comment

You bought 600 firebrick?
          My Build:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
            You are good to go. 27.6% alumina
            Thanks Chip. as always you calm me down...
            Best Regards...
            Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
              You bought 600 firebrick?
              Yes, I got the whole pallet. I know I will use about 450 and the rest I plan to do something else that comes in mind. Right now I am thinking about a smoker. Not sure.
              Last edited by gugahulk; 06-12-2015, 08:58 AM.
              Best Regards...
              Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Let me try this again, w/an update. 450? You've piqued my curiosity now.
                My Build:

Comment

Let me try this again, w/an update. 450?You've piqued my curiosity now.
                  Wait and see My friend! I have an amazing design for this oven! Its my grand finally so has to be better than my other 2 creations!... LOL... hahaha...
                  Best Regards...
                  Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Originally posted by gugahulk View Post
                    Wait and see My friend! I have an amazing design for this oven! Its my grand finally so has to be better than my other 2 creations!... LOL... hahaha...
                    Sounds like a great one in the making!! Looking forward to it.
                    My Build:

Comment

• Re: Work of Love and Passion... Miami FL

Let me try this again, w/an update. 450? You've piqued my curiosity now.
                      At 600 per a pallet, I'm guessing that they are the 8.25"X4"X2.5". I think that the 9" standard come in a 500 count pallet.
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

425 in a half pallet, 850 in a full, actually, or 300 in a cube. Don't know about the small ones. We rail them in so for maximum capacity, they send half pallets on top of wholes. We only get cubes in the rare instance we have to truck them in. We go through 4 or 5 railcars a year.
                        Last edited by Tscarborough; 06-11-2015, 05:42 PM.

Comment

I stand corrected. We don't get many railcars way out here .
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

425 in a half pallet, 850 in a full, actually, or 300 in a cube. Don't know about the small ones. We rail them in so for maximum capacity, they send half pallets on top of wholes. We only get cubes in the rare instance we have to truck them in. We go through 4 or 5 railcars a year.
                            Here in Miami they come in 725 per pallet. I got a great deal for $165 for all 600 firebricks so how can I possibly say no to that? Good to have connections in the brick department, my customer really took good care of me. I can not complain as each firebrick here cost $1.65 and getting it for $0.27 is a crazy deal.
                            Best Regards...
                            Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Hi Everyone, I really need help with this one as I have no idea what I am doing or looking for. I am born and raised in Miami. Never seen snow or experienced any time of fire or firewood. I just purchased a chain saw to try to harvest some wood in a friend's farm. However I have no idea what I am doing.
                              Can I cut any tree down and collect the wood?

Is it ok to use dead trees that are on the floor?

Should I avoid any type of tree? if so how do I know what tree it is as they all look the same to me. Remember no experience at all.

Also there are alot of parks and other places I can collect wood that are dead on that floor, is this ok to do or is there a law that you can not take wood from parks and streets?

Please treat me like a total 5yr old. I have absolutely no clue what I am doing. buying wood will be so expensive for me and I will not use the oven as much so I really need help. Unfortunately I am on a stand still waiting for my ceramic boards to arrive from Forno Bravo so I have no choice but to find something to do and this is the plan for this weekend. I would really appreciate any help from anyone I have ZERO knowledge on this.
                              Best Regards...
                              Gugahulk!

My Build...

**************************************************

Comment

First and foremost. Chainsaws are dangerous! Before you do anything else, make sure that you are comfortable with the safety warnings in the saw owners manual. It would not hurt to get some first hand tutoring from someone who is experienced with a saw.

Gathering wood on any federal or state owned land (in my area) is strictly forbidden without a permit. And, the permits are only good for designated areas. You need to check your local laws. Any local park rangers office can help you with that.

You mentioned cutting wood on a friend's farm. Maybe, he can help you with hardwood or fruitwood identification. If not, he may be able to introduce you to a local that does.

Hardwood, nut, and fruitwood are the only wood that I use in my WFO, smokers and grills. They are plentiful in my area. Many, from other areas, use other woods (pine and other conifers) for heating WFOs and then switch to hardwood for cooking. On some BBQ sites that I frequent, I've seen talk about an interesting invasive species of wood to Florida. I think ya'll call it "Australian Pine". From what I understand, your state has declared war on it. Some "free wood" folks swear by it for cooking. Some don't. But, it ought to be OK for heating a WFO.

You may want to start your hoard of wood by searching on craigslist, or by buying from some "trusted" local suppliers, just until you become schooled.

You will eventually become an expert for gathering the cheapest proper wood for your oven that is available your area of the country. But, don't stop on this thread. Keep doing your research on the net. And, keep your eyes out far bargain wood: Sawmills, furniture shops, tree trimmers etc.

And don't forget, chainsaws are dangerous! .

Comment

Working...
                                X