This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FB Brand Insulation

I am happy to announce that Forno Bravo just introduced its own brand of insulation: FB Blanket and FB Board. We reached an agreement directly with a producer in Asia, and are buying it by the container. Our first delivery has arrived in California, and everything looks great.

FB Blanket is a Alumina Silica ceramic insulating blanket, 8lb/sq. ft., rated to 1260?C (2300?F). It comes in a 50 sq ft. roll; is 97% AL203+SIO2, and is perfect for pizza oven insulation. We have priced it at $75 for a roll, which is very close to the cost of vermiculite -- and a lot less than Insulfrax. Our hope is that more folks will be able to use 3-4" of blanket insulation, and stop using vermiculite all together.

FB Board is also 97% Alumina Silica and rated to 1280?C (2300?F). The density is 18.75lb/sq. ft. We are able to purchase 24"x36"x2" boards, so you can buy only what you need, and won't waste material.

This is pretty exciting. Being able to mix the new space-age insulators, with low prices is a good thing. They are easier to install and more efficient, and now, they don't even cost more.

What do you think? We're open for comments. You can find them here:

https://www.fornobravo.com/store/fb-blanket-50/
    https://www.fornobravo.com/store/fb-board-36242/

Last edited by admin; 12-17-2015, 04:31 PM. Reason: Corrected hyperlinks
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: FB Brand Insulation

Wow, you're good! Entrepreneur with a capital E. That will make life easy for upcoming builders. I could have used these a month ago.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

James,

Sounds great. I was actually looking at Superwool 607 from Thermal Ceramics but this sounds like it's pretty comparable. Plus with your stamp of approval you can't go wrong...

Thanks
      Dick

Comment

I feel so "old school" having used perlite and vermiculite. I guess my saving grace was the 2" insulfrax that I used on the dome. Maybe I should build a new oven, and get with the times

Comment

Yes RT, rip out that awesome mosaic and start over!
          GJBingham

-

Comment

James,

This is a stunning development. Congratulations. In my FB installations in Ontario, the cost of SuperIsol and Insulfrax has sometimes been a stumbling block for my customers, leading me to scramble for local sources. Those days, it seems, are done. Only two things left: 1. an FB brand of Refmix that's 40 per cent lighter per bag; 2. an FB shipping company that ships by the square meter rather than the pound LOL.

Well done.

Jim
            Last edited by CanuckJim; 01-15-2008, 07:06 AM. Reason: incomplete
            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Yes congrats James, heading to the one-stop shop for the entire process. Adding to the wish list from CJim above. A thermocouple kit with probes and display would have been an easy sale to me.

Jim

Comment

JCG,
                great idea! I probably would have done it too.
                GJBingham

-

Comment

James,

Any issues with using the FB Board for the door. I was going to get a piece of metal and put the board on the metal door. I was concerned because I might put metal mesh on the other side (facing inside the oven) so some of the board would be exposed to the oven/food inside - food safety issues?.

Let me know.

I guess I could just sandwich the board between two pieces of metal but all of the board still wouldn't be covered - "sides would be exposed."

Thanks
                  Dick

Comment

James, I'm glad for your recent addition to the store on insulation options. I'm sorry it is to late for me but it will be a real benefit to all those starting!
                    It's amazing how many new members there are.

I'm wondering if there is any progress in your search for thermocouples?
                    RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
                    Oven Thread

Comment

Well, I guess that those of us having bought or built our supplies now see James and FB stepping up to our needs. He is competitive and entrepreneurish.

I do confess the frustration from us about not having an FB kit for T/C's. James, this should be a high priority too. We love to get all from you when competitive. Heck, I will be buying all mortar from you, as well as my oven peel set, and likely, food items. Keep up the momentum.
                      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

I agree that the thermocouple kit has to be high on the list. Right after the Balsamico arrives. :-)

Stay tuned for both thermocouple kit and the vinegar from Modena. More to come on both, and thanks for your patience.

James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

Not sure if you saw my earlier post about the FB board and "food" safety.

Let me if you have any concerns about it being exposed to the inside of the oven (for a door).

Thanks
                          Dick

Comment

Hey Dick,

I missed that one; sorry about that. You should definitely fully enclose any of these ceramic insulation products -- whether it's over the dome, under the oven, or potentially in the door. All of this type of high heat insulation is made with woven ceramic fibers that are not good to breath or come in skin contact.

Perhaps we should open a thread on building a highly insulated door. I've always got by with the basic steel door.
                            James
                            Pizza Ovens
                            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James, you know you can't just get by on things anymore. This forum has grown exponentially, the creative thoughts, ideas applied, etc. I am sure the door thread would be big, since it is the final step to the oven, well maybe one of the final steps....
                              An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Working...
                              X